1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    The dealer said they will try changing the suspension on Monday. I was told that the suspension is the same for the face lifted model and the previous one . Need advice if it is the same. I enquired few tyres shop but they are bit hesittant to take good years 205/55R16 as the buyers are opting michellin and Yokohama. Feeling very bad to see the brand new car being stripped on the third day of purchase.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @linea4me

I'd urge you to take up the advice of the earlier poster, who, speaking from experience, suggested changing the tyres. If nothing else: as a test, with other goodyear nct5-s, from some other new Fiat car in stock. A full suspension change is UTTERLY unlikely as a requirement on even a battered old car, let alone a new one, imo. Have them swap the tyre-set, and only then allow/insist on the suspension work, would be my advice at least. Wish you'd done the PDI better/properly/at all?!

Anyway, give the dealer lots of 'heat', man! They'd better deliver the normal top-notch-suspension Linea we all know and love.

Still, odds are that what you need is a different, warranty-replacement set of the same Goodyear nct5 tyres, I have them on my May 2014 new Linea, and they're good all-round tyres, offered on a few d-segment models from other brands too.

all the best, please post updates too

cheers
    PradeepM likes this.
  3. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Hello There,

This is weird, I can understand the uneven ride could be due to air pressure however suspension issue on a brand new car just doesn't seem to be right. May I know when was the car manufactured and also did you complete a full PDI to rule out any malpractice by the dealer.
    My car is on stock good year and they are going their job well and I personally did not see any need to swap them. From what I know the suspension I guess is the same however the new variants come with an updated higher ground clearance.

Cheers,
    Pradeep.
  4. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Okay, Thank you for the quick response. I will insist the dealer to first change the tyres and see if the bouncy effect is reduced. The vehicle is May 2015 (VIN=EHZ) Manufactured delivery 23 July. I had reached the dealer when the vehicle was unloaded, ODO read H15 when arrived after washing and it was H 16 when delivered. I did the visual PDI as per TFI list. I could not find any issue during the visual PDI. I didn't test drive it.
    And one more thing noted was the speakers of my car sounded as good as my cousins figo, compared playing the same song from the same pendrive. I was expecting the speakers to be very bad reading in forums. You may me thinking I'm a person who cannot recognize what a poor quality speakers sounds like. So mentioned my previous audio setup below bought as per my selection.( meant not the choice of the installer). Was a pleasure hearing with the setup.
    (Lightning Audio Bolt component speakers (front) and LA audio oval speakers at rear driven by Lightning Audio 4 channel amp and dual coil 400RMS sub driven by 470RMS FOCAL SOLID ONE with sansui capcitors installed.)

Regarding the suspension, please confirm if the suspension is the same for the pre facelifted one and the current model of emotion. The tyres on my car are Good Year NCT5 205/55R16.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jul 26, 2015 ---
    The step was I had changed to nitogen with 33 front and 30psi rear hoping that it was due to wrong air pressure. Still the issue was same. When took the vehicle they changed to 32psi for all tyres with normal air still the same. The service advisor's did multiple test drives on it and they are confirming that it is not the tyre which is causing the issue. The moment after taking delivery at 6Pm while driving to the church for blessing, my father told its feeling like as if traveling in our old Maruthi 800 with bad suspension. Then my reply way it was due to the lower profile (55) tyres, which proved wrong. The same effect when driven on highway also. Will keep posted about the issue.
    Uploading the photos of the beauty. Sorry for the low quality photos from Mobile.

IMAG5675.jpg

IMAG5662.jpg
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    prabhjot and PradeepM like this.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    GC is same, the decreased diameter of the rim is adjusted by using tall tyres in case of dynamic.

Section width of dynamic 's tyres is more by 12.5 mm as compared to Emotion.
    Emotion rim radius(half of the diameter) is more by 12.5 mm than Dynamic rim.
    So in the end GC remains unaffected.
  6. PradeepM

PradeepM Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Your car is quite eye catching and looks very elegant.
    I too find the speakers on my Linea Dynamic very adequate and Iam quite happy with the output. Do keep us updated on the status of the issue post your visit to FASS.

Cheers,
    pradeep.
    linea4me likes this.
  7. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    On a brand new car, that too on a Fiat car, it is quite unlikely that it will have suspension issue unless it is a manufacturing defect.

If your is car bouncing up and down on or swaying left /right on moderate speeds (90 to 110 kmph) like how a Hyundai Verna would do on slightly uneven roads due to a very soft suspension set-up - then it can be a suspension issue.

However, I believe what you are experiencing is bounciness / wobbling which is slight but constant combined with bit hard ride if I'm not wrong. If your answer is yes, then in my experience it is due to the following:
    1. Tall stance of the car 185 mm (diesel) / 190 mm (T-JET) ground clearance is too high for a sedan. The average GC of other cars in this class is 168 mm to 170 mm.
    2. Due to tall suspension, I believe fiat had to make it stiff / rigid to provide high speed stability
    3. The Goodyear Eagle NCT5 tires are bit hard (probably they are sporty..? I'm not sure)

Points 2,3 elevate the issue #1 especially when the car is brand new.

My father exactly complained about the same issue on highway rides when the car was new and under 500 KMs. I continued driving as the issue was not very severe that I can't live with.

I have changed my tires to Michelin Primacy 3 ST when my car has done 2200 KMs. I didn't experience bouncy, hard ride anymore. Probably the suspension has settled too by then. The ride has been exceptionally quite and smooth since the tire swap.

You will read in many forums that tire swapping is the first upgrade probably you will need to do on Linea. KarthikK who is a member here has a very detailed ownership thread on TBHP for his T-JET and has explained it here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-...et-edit-3-years-4th-service-completed-11.html. Again it is considered as an upgrade and not something that the owner's can't live without.

I wouldn't recommend the service center touching the suspension on a brand new car unless (1) the issue is so severe that it starts to rattle the car --or-- (2) if you are downgrading to lower GC suspension kit. You might want to drive it till 2000 to 2500 KMs to see if it gets settled.

FYI, on a side my J-JET has done 22,000 KMs now and I have planned to downgrade (rather upgrade :) ) to lower GC (170 mm) suspension set-up. I have placed the order for the 2011 struts and rear spring and will be getting it done next Saturday.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
    Also to respond to your point "Regarding the suspension, please confirm if the suspension is the same for the pre facelifted one and the current model of emotion":

The answer is YES. The suspension set-up in the pre facelifted and the current models are same since 2012. However the the suspension set-up in the 2011 models and before is different. The pre 2012 ones had lower GC and what the owners refer to as Fiat's magic carpet ride.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2015
    linea4me and PradeepM like this.
  8. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    Like you said it is the stiffness bo
    Yes exactly like you said I'm facing the stiffness bounciness and not the feeling we get driving verna on highway. I can see my co-passenger's body bouncing and I can feel it on the driver side too. I had done multiple test drives before proceeding with the purchase of the Linea.
    The Ciaz zdi+ was the ones my friends where recommending, but I was inclined towards Fiat reading TFI and many other forums. The Ciaz zdi+ with 16" rims has the same kind of feeling like verna and I took multiple test drives to confirm the same. I was feeling giddiness while traveling at the rear sear of Ciaz. It was a bit less on the zdi variant of Ciaz because of 15" rims.

The multiple Linea test drive vehicles I drove was a bit stiff on local roads and was very comfortable on highways. Only concern was the left pulling issue on all the test drive Linea and Avventura. So I kept on holding the Linea booking. After reading pradeep's Linea's issue getting resolved and as well as the service advisor at the dealer guaranteed to resolve the issue, if it was there, so proceeded with the purchase.
    Now the only issue bothering me, is the too much stiffness on local roads and the car is not comfortable even on the highway. The service advisor(who has just 1 year experience with Fiat) also said he never came across such stiffness on any linea. On Monday there will be senior members who has been working with the dealer since 2010 for checking the issue.

Should I try just by replacing the tyres with the demo vehicle the dealer has and see if the issue reduces a bit. If the issue is getting reduced I will surely change the tyres to Michellin Primacy.
    Thank you all for showing this much concern for a problem I'm facing. This is my first time on TFI, I'm really blown away by the quick responses on this forum.
  9. maheshvpy

maheshvpy Amatore

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea T-Jet
    Okay, got it. In that case I don't think it is an issue that should be worried. The Fiat suspension set-up is robust which provides great balance between ride and handling. You can push the car into corners in highway like no other car in this class. I have experienced it my numerous drives on highways that I can take curves confidently without applying brakes at decent speeds where the cars ahead ahead of me slowing down - this includes ventos, rapids and vernas.

The stock Goodyear tires by no mean are cheap however each tire has a character and this one is hard & noisy but provides a good road grip and high speed stability. I had faced a similar problem with "Goodyear assurance tripletred" tires which were expensive sporty tires that I upgraded to on my Accord V6 when I lived in US. The ride became very harsh despite Accord being a very heavy car especially on concrete tarmac driveways. The V6 version of Accord too a stiffer suspension compared to the V4 version to provide stability to the added power of V6.

Give your car 2000-3000 KMs to see if the suspension settles down to your liking. The stiffness might just mellow down a little bit however I doubt the tires will change. You don't need to rush to change the suspension on your new car. Let's see what the Fiat technicians come up with on Monday.

Cheers,
    Mahesh
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. linea4me

linea4me Amatore

kerala
    Linea 1.3
    The vehicle was at the service center today. A jerking sound was coming from the left front corner inside the engine bay, identified as the engine bed No:2 was thing which was causing the issue. It got solved by replacing it.
    Regarding the stiffness they said let the vehicle run few KM's and see. I agreed and took the vehicle back, but I felt it very uncomfortable while returning home. So returned to FASS and reported the same.
    They are doubting the tyres, but not even a single 16 inch linea was available to check by replacing the tyres. So was waiting for their test drive car to arrive.
    The test drive car did not arrive till 5PM, so getting it checked only on tomorrow.

Also I need help regarding the tyres-- are Pirelli P7 tyres good for linea. A tyre delaer is offering it for a buy back for good years at Rs.11000. But for Michelin he is quoting Rs.19800 after buy back. Should I opt for pirelli or continue with the good year. I feel the Michelin deal not worth for the price.