1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    As mentioned earlier, I am going to get 5 to 10 km stretches during my drives which would be free of traffic or obstacles, so is it possible or pleasurable to use cruise control feature on these much short (5to 10 km stretches are short stretches IMHO) stretches as after every 5 to 10 kms there is a diversion due to WIP construction of bridges or you need to use it only for longer stretches?

@mangeshtendulkar, I am tight on budget but would stretch it further only if convinced that cruise control is useful for roads(7 to 10 km stretches) used by me. Else I will feel that I have wasted my money on a feature which is not utiliazable on the roads used by me, and that extra money could have been used for upgrading the ICE & remapping the engine.

I have too many dobts & questions in my mind because actually I had gone to check the Avventura and ended up liking Linea 2014 on which I had not researched much!

One more question, after remapping or getting a dieseltronics kit for my car, will it hamper the cruise control feature utility?
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Tornado, cruise control can also contribute towards FE. If daily running is about 15-20 kms to and fro, it could be a useful feature. If going for Dynamic model remap could be a better option, than dieseltronics. The question needs to be asked to remappers, that is Wolfmoto guys. You can contact them and clear your doubts about remap and cruise control. In fact cruise control switch is popularly used to switch maps on the fly, just don't know if Wolfmoto guys are planning the same.
  3. Ashish Kumar

Ashish Kumar Novizio

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Hello friends. Took a TD of Tjet Emotion trim. Awesome at high speeds but a tad slow to take off - steering a bit on the heavy side at slow speeds, especially when compared to City or Verna. Just had one glitch on which I wanted a feedback from the experts here. The clutch pedal was too high for comfort (long throw!!) and I found it really difficult to put it on rest with my heels on the mat (my shoe size is 8 (UK) btw). This caused a lot of strain while driving. Anyone else felt it that way? Additionally, the space between the footrest and the clutch pedal seemed too narrow and I kept hitting it while trying to press the clutch. Also wanted a feedback on Torrid Motors, Andheri, Mumbai, the dealership here. Saw the reviews here which are mixed. They quoted a final on road price of 10.7 lakh (after Rs. 10K discount). When I enquired about year end discounts, I was told that the company is yet to announce and they would keep me posted. Is it a good price or should I wait and hope that the prices might come down? BTW, this price was inclusive of extended warranty and some accessories which is termed FGA. Await response from the experts.
  4. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am not a expert, but at Pune dealerships, they told me that same November scheme of discount is continued in December.
    You can get better discounts in Jan 2015 onwards only if cars manufactured during 2014 remains to be sold. But this discount would be equivalent to depreciation suffered by the car cost since manufacturerd. So even if you get further discounts next year, it would be no profit no loss situation for you.
    Ashish Kumar and prabhjot like this.
  5. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Moreover, @Ashish Kumar , Tjet , I don't think has much discounts as compared to mjd.
    All the best !
    Ashish Kumar likes this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tornado Are you certain you want (because you need) to upgrade the ICE? Are you certain a remap is essential to you on your route? I ask only because of the budget constraint.

The cruise control is not only for higher speeds, you can set a lower one too, you can change the speed setting up or down on the fly, and so it is arguably useful in any case, whenever there is continuously flowing traffic.

The Emotion's bigger wheels and, especially, the fantastic leather seats make it worthwhile, i'd say. But yeah, to spend the same money on a remap does make sense if these items aren't of the essence to you.

If I were in your place, I'd spend the premium on the better traction/braking/handling of the wider bigger tyres over extra power and torque. The mjd opens up significantly after a while, remember, and so a remap may not be as urgent a need as it may seem on a new car.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 8, 2014 ---
    @Ashish Kumar

Hi man, welcome to TFi.

The clutch pedal-dead-pedal issue is one only till you get used to it. It's an ergonomic quirk of the Linea and the Punto but that hasn't stopped lakhs of them from being bought and used over the last few years in India, Turkey, Italy, Brazil, Spain, the UK etc! ;-)

The 'heaviness' of the steering at slow speeds is the necessary corollary of not just weight but 'feel' at higher speeds, which I'd define at anything above even a mere 40-50 kph. It is ESSENTIAL to the character and involvement and control and accuracy of 'feel' that make the t-jet such a pleasure to own (as I do).

The t-jet is THE most complete car in its segment, in fact it is very clearly a d-segment car (and actually better than some like the Fluence or indeed the Corolla), at prices that are at least 5/6 lakhs lower than its true 'value'. IMO

cheers, keep us updated, and check out Esskay Motors, Prabhadevi, too. I was impressed by their showroom and sales staff/manager when I chanced upon them on my last visit to Mumbai.
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  7. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot
    How frequent you are using cruise control in your ride? Any tips and tricks regarding cruise control for first time users like me.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Yes, Remaps or tuning box would be needed for brisk, swift & safe (the acceleration must be quick enough so as to avoid anxious moments for me and an approaching upcoming vehicle) overtaking experience.
    Yes, budget constraints are there and I am searching valid and strong reasons to stretch it further.
    I heard the Linea ICE, I felt, SQ was marginally lesser than what I am listening in my Manza (pioneer HU, Harman Infinity reference 6500cx components+jJBL 1150 bass tube +4 ch amp ),While upgrading I will fit the same probably except the HU.

I wanted to know would it be enough or I need to purchase something else so as to cause a SUBSTANTIAL difference in the SQ.Or I need to sell the ICE of my Manza along with her and purchase something new for the Linea?
    That's why I wanted to know technical specifications of OE ICE of Linea 2014.

I just wanted to listen exactly same.
    +1
    @prabhjyot, you have wrote exactly what I wanted to hear.
    At the time of TD, I felt, on the contrary to the internet articles based on vbox, in Linea I was feeling that it was easier and quicker, to overtake trucks than in case of Vento & Rapid.So I was asking about the Rapid vs Linea acceleration query repeatedly. Sometimes I suspect that the dealer must have remapped the TD Linea!
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2014
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tornado I'd urge you to live with your mjd for a year at least before remapping it. Believe me, even though you're familiar with the engine from the Manza, you may find that your purposes are being well met on the new Linea, just because of different gearing, much better traction, road holding, and handling leading to much more improved 'feedback' based on which you'll be able to much better judge and execute tricky overtaking moves. And the engine DOES free up over time.

@drsantoshms Am afraid I don't use the cruise control much since almost all my driving (or our driver's!) is in slow-faster-slower erratic traffic conditions, and the distances covered aren't that huge. But it works like a charm on the nh8 say between Delhi and Gurgaon late at night, but then one doesn't use it much even then since there is plodding behemoth truck traffic encountered, which makes the frequent changes of accelerator pedal input (to overtake and weave between trucks) too much fun to bother with cruise control. :) But am looking forward to cruise controlling my way, all the way to Chandigarh on nh1, on an upcoming leisurely long drive!
  10. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @Tornado
    I also urge not to think about remapping your MJD now. Yes, remapping is an option you should consider much much latter. Especially when Fiat is giving 5 years / 150000 km warranty. Multijet is a capable engine. Give it time to open up. All turbolag issues are blown out of proportion by first time test riders and critics. Fiatians know how to extract juice from this highly capable and frugal engine