1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @Tornado

Mefeels a car that was manufactured say 5 mnths ago is perfectly acceptable: a proper pukka PDI is all that's required. The battery has to be charged fully in any case, i wouldn't say it 'deteriorates'. Neither do the tyres.

The Linea mjd's in-gear times are excellent: better than the City diesel of the Ford Fiesta diesel, cannot say about the Rapid/Vento. It is THE Indian highway car, as far as I am concerned.

I'd say the dynamic's tyre specs are amply good enough, and are well enough matched with the car's weight, and handling/braking, and are better than the competition's, but if you can: Emotion is still the one to shoot for.

let us know how things proceed?

ciao
    Tornado likes this.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Tyre upsizing can cause speedo/odo reading errors. Engine tune is same for all three variants, except Emotion comes with Cruise control. Tyre up-sizing cannot void warranty AFAIK. But please reconfirm if such a mad clause is ever introduced by manufacturer.

If speed breakers or handling is your concern, you could think of emotion variant, but there is very negligible difference if at all in 15" dynamic variant, definitely nothing noticable.

Look at buying Emotion for best package, however Dynamic cannot disappoint you as the engine tunes are the same.

I never ask that question, I believe this sudden acceleration is what causes collisions while overtaking in shorter gaps. Linea offers adequate acceleration for a safe yet enjoyable driving experience. The data on this is available on Internet. Accelerations are naturally better in larger displacement engine like Vento, Verna or Rapid.

I agree with you about battery. A dealer can or will provide you with a new battery for sure, just ask for it. Or you can exchange the factory battery for a better higher quality one for a small difference from private battery shops.

It is possible, but not without repainting the bumper. Although you could do this at a later stage if unfortunately bumpers need work due to small accidents. The insurance money will help. Meanwhile I recommend you to live with it if possible. :)

The bass-tube may dampen a bit in Linea's solid boot, thereby actually improving sound. For rear you might think of adding co-axials and atleast one 4channel amp if not there already. This can be discussed later in ICE section.

Best to use the rear view mirror type LCD reverse cams selling these days. Tom-Tom Navigator is good and can be fixed via the vacuum release flexible stand in front quarter glass. Charging cable is provided in package. Also good to release and carry in pocket for travel in other vehicles etc.

Opinions are more tilting towards Pandit, but buy from one who offers a better (lucrative deal) with better transparency. For service always you can switch to Pandit Bavdhan which is pretty awesome SC, based on reports on TFI.

A workaround to this problem is installing a good DSP and some good amp. Or an amp with DSP like Blaupunkt 470DSP, more on that in ICE section, if you want to discuss further.
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2014
    Tornado, sandipan_r15 and prabhjot like this.
  3. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP

My routine routes(30 km up & 30 km down) has a Ghat section(3 km up and 3 km down) and lot of pot holes during monsoon & post monsoon 2 months. I need to do lot of zig zag manuvours to avoid them, then once I get a good patch I need to overtake trucks swiftly, this adds up further to the zig zag. The pot holed roads have been resurfaced by the government now and Dynamic version is not available for TD so as to compare it with Emotion to reach a conclusion.
    If as a Dynamic's owner you feel that Emotion would be money well spent for above mentioned driving conditions it would be easy to remove the hesitancy while making decision to stretch the budget further , as I am also tight on the budget
    Sorry to ask this question. What all things come under the heading 'upholstery'?

This further adds to my dilemma. I travel on NH4,approx 800 km per month but now 6 laning work is going on there, they are building flyovers on all the villages on that route hence there are many diversions with potholes and bumps , these diversions are at every 5 to 10 km distance, the roads in between these WIP bridges is in perfect condition to do good speeds.
    So my question: Is it possible to exploit the cruise control feature during my highway drives and drives on my routine route.
    My routine route is also undergoing four laning work, out of total 60 km, 7 km up & 7 km down work is complete and in good condition.
    Good to know this. I am very much used to rear view cam and probably I would go for IRVM type. If possible, let me know if this IRVM mounted screen disables the day/night mode utilisation of the IRVM

Since members here have received 5 months old cars earlier and possibility of me getting 6 months old car is there. And surely, tires would be 3 to 4 months older than car. So at the time of delivery tires would be 9 to 10 months old. I have read on tbhp (I am not a tbhp member) that it is better if reject a tyre if it is more than 6 months . If this is true then is it possible to push for more discount?

My own experience with 12 month old tyres is that the ride quality gets hardened and life span also decreased. The CRM refused to do wheel balancing & to rotate the tires @30 000 mileage citing a reason that the tire needs replacement. However I replaced them at 42 000 km but the ride quality during last10 km was pathetic( hard).
    I agree.

I respect your opinion. But I felt it is a car meant for all types of the roads due to high GC.And skoda Rapid is better on highways.

My present Manza runs on same specs tires (195 /60 R15).
    My wife suffers from motion sickness on Ghat sections . I know Manza 's soft suspension is culprit here as the motion sickness complaints decreased after I installed Urathane cushions on the suspension springs which helped in decreasing the body roll .
    Now, I want to know if there is any roll of tyre size(Emotion size over dynamic) in decreasing body roll?
    Who is appropriate authority for answering this question, GM of the dealership or any officer from Fiats ?
    I don't go for risky overtakes but in Manza I sometimes get anxious moments so just felt that Linea or some car from its competition must be better on this front.
    I will be highly obliged if you provide me some link for this data.

Hmm... Agreed, possibility of getting rear ended is always high in Pune. I will go for zero dep insurance.
    Is there any link which can explain advantages of Tom Tom over Google maps android app provided in Samsung phones.
    At present both are giving equal offers under different headings. BTW, Pandit'sBavdhan is convenient for me for ASS but just afraid of step motherly treatment there if I purchase the car at other dealership in the same city.
    What is DSP?
    Which thread is appropriate for my questions on ICE?
  4. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I think you SHOULD get the emotion. The new Linea is an exceptional value proposition of the best sort, only more so for someone like you, given the roads you travel on.

It's coming with great discounts, yes? Go for it, the additions (cruise control, bigger tyres, leather seats which are by far the class-best OEM ones, Rain sensing wipers, and Blue&Me) over the Dynamic, which is well-equipped too, are very worth it i'd say, especially if you decide to keep most things stock. Given your driving conditions. The price-to-value ratio is awesome, and I use the word advisedly!

btw, The ICE + speakers on the new Linea is pretty good to my unfussy ears at least (better range and fidelity) than the older Linea.

Pandit gets good raps here on TFi. They'd seem to be the better choice, not that your 'step-motherly' fear is necessarily valid in their case.

cheers
    Tornado likes this.
  5. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    Friends, posting a pic of the notice issued in the owner 's mannual of the manza. I want to know if fiat prescribes similar procedure ?

Also, is the Linea owner' s mannual available online? dd1930e5d31412f540b24458445071ff.jpg
  6. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Ask the dealership to show the warranty void mentioned in booklet or any such document. Alternatively you can contact Fiat via email and get any doubts clarified.

Yes, I only mean to imply that decent acceleration is there for the needed maneuvers on road; the gears need a bit of working before you regain the boost for these 40-80 accelerations. I may have missed, but are you using Manza Quadrajet or Manza Petrol?

I meant you could google about Verna, Vento, Rapid video reviews on youtube for details on acceleration. As regards Linea/Punto safety, they have fared better in some serious collisions, both frontal and side ones. For the boot side there is huge space to crumple again in the Linea.

Tom-Tom is professionally managed dedicated service and also provides updates. The GPS devices quickly updates routes if you choose to ignore the route suggested and decide to take another one instead. Continue with google maps, maybe if you need to upgrade later you have Garmin and TomTom and such.

You can ask Pandit to match the best and final quote from the other competitors. There are Pune TFIans who will eagerly help you I am sure, if you encounter problems with any SC or dealerships regarding service issues.

There are many DSP based sound processors, (intermediate circuits) that allow better processing of audio signals for an improved sound. Try going through miniDSP.com; although these ones are right now for DIY enthusiasts and developers. There are many plug and play box solutions from reputed brands though. You can post in After-market ICE upgrades thread.
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2014
  7. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I am using Manza QJD.
  8. Tornado

Tornado Superiore

Driver's seat.
    Western Maharashtra
    Avventura 1.3 90 HP
    I have few more questions about the features of Linea.
    What is 3 point ELR seat belts, DUEL stage airbag?

How important is the double crank prevention system? I mean what problems are faced by the cars which doesn't come with this feature and happened get double cranked?

Is it possible to install the collapsible rear sun curtain after market, I mean if there are hooks provided in case of Dynamic?

BTW, There was some discussion on first few pages of this thread about boot lid handle, if it is there or not? I just read in the brochure that boot lid handle is body colored in case of Active & chrome in case of the Emotion & Dynamic.

I am going to ask some questions about remapping & Dieseltronics kit on those threads, please help me there also.

Guys, sorry for asking too many questions but I need to convince or explain my other Asian car loving friends who are going to ask me why Fiat? And why not much better City, Verna and Ciaz?
  9. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The Emergency Locking Retractor (ELR) allows the driver seat belt to freely extend and retract with occupant movement, yet locks the belt during a sudden stop or upon impact. I am not sure if it uses gas pre-tensioners. Although ideally post crash for a repairable vehicle these should be needed to be installed newly.

220px-Seatbelt.jpg images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS97uviv1092Th2j0p6jign9JGvMoAIm_F8jd7I5vwLBTk08JRG
    on left is 3-point and on right is 2-point.

Very important feature, it essentially saves the electricals in a way, the starter motor and a running engine from a conflict within themselves.

Please ask the dealer. Any TFIan who installed these, please suggest?

Thanks for the info.

My suggestion, do ask questions, we get to learn answering those too, but please don't explain to any of your friends, it might not stop there, there will be questions in extended family and society too will have questions. If however you wish to tackle this, the best idea would be to be silent and simply suggest "have a test ride of my car, you will know why."
    Tornado and prabhjot like this.
  10. mangeshtendulkar

mangeshtendulkar Amatore

Pune
    @Tornado
    1. By Leather upholstery I meant leather seats and provided ones are really comfortable.
    2. Cruise Control, this feature may or may not entice everyone as its completely a personal choice and comfort thing. On highway cruising this feature will be handy one is my opinion. You can drive more Kms with the feature on without getting tired.
    3. Reverse camera as clip on IRVM: No placing this clip will not affect using Day/ Night IRVM feature.
    4. After market rear-curtain: Yes you can get them fitted after-market. Ones sold by FASS are expensive, will make your pocket lighter by 4000 INR.

Still I am on my statement "If your budget permits go for EMOTION..." and don't want to comment anything on Jap or Kor rivals as there are plenty of articles on the same.
    Tornado and prabhjot like this.