1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    @prabhjot

thanks for the advice.

As suggested I shall wait for New Linea/ B SUV with 1.5. I too was tempted to settle for Avventura, but its of Punto dimensions. Am looking for a sedan or SUV.

Shall wait for a bigger hearted New Linea/ B SUV as suggested keeping my temptation under control.
    prabhjot likes this.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    My 70-year old dad has been trying to succumb to the Avventura's considerable temptations.But his 'paisa-vasool' mentality (he's just ever so keen to have his sedate yet agelessly beautiful white Linea for longer) is making him wait for that promised Fiat CUV (or jeep renegade?) in 2016.

The new Linea, then, needs some/even more reasons to be better-bought in this market, it seems: a bigger diesel, of course, but also maybe the Dualogic AMT for the diesel(s), and, if they want to be audacious for a change, the DDCT twin-clutch transmission for the T-Jet?

It shouldn't/does not need all this, but it probably still does in this, frankly to me, weird marketplace. Let's see if Fiat India makes some such moves next year.
    nbvcrao likes this.
  3. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Test rode Linea MJD and Linea T-Jet one after another yesterday. My observations:
    1. Colour of Test drive Lineas: MJD-New Pearl White and T-JET- Sunbeam gold. Both colours look brilliant. Linea look longer and huge in Pearl white. Sun beam gold is stunning and kissable.
    2.MID average fuel efficiency in MJD is 22Kmpl while T-Jet is 7.2Kmpl.:rolleyes:. Gross variations. Are these FE reports in TD vehicles true?
    3. Test rode MJD in moderate city traffic conditions. Turbo lag is manageable. This may be because I am already driving Indica vista Multijet. Turbo starting from 1800 rpm. Changed gears at 2K-2.2K rpm and can feel the punch in the engine. Under shifting of gears is promptly answered by jerks and I can feel lack of power and engine lugging etc. I think to feel the punch in the engine we should be in the turbo zone. Accurate gear shifting is the key. You can listen the engine whining after 2200 rpm. I got no opportunity to further rev the engine. One more thing-Gear shifting is not as smooth as TJET. I feel particularly difficult to engage second gear from first gear
    4. T-Jet is very silent and smooth. Ironically I feel turbo lag in T-JET also. Here also timing of gear shifting is important. Cabin is silent even after 2500 rpm. Max speed achieved is 100 kmph on highway. Noise of tyres is more at high speeds especially on uneven roads.
    5. Turning radius is quite big and I need to get acclimatized to this.
    6. Rear seat leg room feels adequate for my needs. I am the tallest person in my family at 5 feet 8 inches.
    7. I find the small arm rest in Linea is very difficult for me to use. Is it height adjustable like skoda rapid? Shall I further decrease my seat height to use the arm rest?
    8.Range of tilt adjustable steering wheel is less:arghh:
    9. MJD Linea is available in my city at a discount of Rs 85000/-. That means I am getting Diesel sedan for the price of TJET. However Insurance is free for T-JET.

After test riding both vehicles I am thinking of booking MJD Linea Sunbeam gold. I feel MJD is more practical and economical. Now only three things are pulling me back.
    -What is about all four disc brakes on TJET and only two disc brakes on MJD? How much this effect braking ability in diesel linea?
    -Ghat road drivability of MJD. I could not test this myself personally.
    -Is there any possibility of launching 1.6 MJD Linea after this clearance sale in early 2015?
    -Are these FE reports on MID of these TD vehicles correct?
    Experts please clarify my doubts and help me in finalizing. Thanks in advance
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Of course, the braking on Tjet is brilliant, but do note that it comes at a higher cost as well. The front brakes pads along cost 5600 bucks against 3290 of the MJD/FIRE Lineas. Having said that, the Linea's brake with Disc/Drum combination is very good and betters the competition.

How often do you end up driving in the ghats?

In the 42.3K kms I have driven, I have not faced any issues with the driveability of the Mulitjets in the ghat roads.

None.
    Not Really. The trip meters may not have been reset to get the accurate mileage for the trip/test drive.
    If you do not mind the fuel bills and love quiet petrols, then go ahead with the Tjet. Else if you drive around a lot, then diesel makes more sense as the cost of fuel is lower, better mileage and discounts on the Mulitjet.
    drsantoshms likes this.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Nope, both looks on extreme. Calculate based on MJD ~14 in City and ~18 on Highway. T-Jet, ~11 in City, ~15 on highway.
    Not ironical, this is reality.
    Though it is advantage in T-Jet, but should not be a criteria to choose between them.
    Keep RPM proper, no issue on any roads.
    Doesn't look so, and certainly not in early 2015.
    I think you have made-up your mind, and it is a good choice, go ahead and book it.
    prabhjot and drsantoshms like this.
  6. dadasaheb

dadasaheb Regolare

Pune
    MH 12 (Ranjangaon)
    Linea 1.3
    i will suggest not to bother about braking power of 2 discs on MJD, i feel Linea MJD has better braking than my Verna with 4 discs.
  7. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    If your running per month justifies it, just go for the mjd, else the T-Jet, good old mantra, really.

Unless you will get some very great surplus aesthetic pleasure out of driving the t-jet, which does not sound to be the case with you. Don't forget, the torque on the mjd is similar to the t-jet, so with management of gear shifting and revs, it is not that much inferior a drive, not at all in fact on highways. And you are getting it at a very good, compelling price too.

cheers
    drsantoshms likes this.
  8. acechip

acechip Superiore

@drsanthoshms, - the armrest has been shortened from earlier versions. Not a good change there.Also, please take into context the cabin space is really designed around 2 medium/large adults in the front and 2 kids/small adults in the rear. The Linea is not a full 5 adult seater sedan (in fact none in C class, barring perhaps the Manza or Verito) !!. But it is built substantially well externally, and rides phenomenally in its category.
    Buy the MJD if you like it better than the TJet. In any case, here's to +1 for the Linea!
    drsantoshms likes this.
  9. MakeTheMove

MakeTheMove Regolare

Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Here is feedback from my side to points mentioned by you.

2.MID average fuel efficiency in MJD is 22Kmpl while T-Jet is 7.2Kmpl.:rolleyes:. Gross variations. Are these FE reports in TD vehicles true?

Not True. T-Jet is capable to deliver good FE on highway. You can expect figures around 15-16 KMPL on highway. Less said better for City drive, it would vary from 9-11 KMPL. MJD you can expect 13-14 in city and 18-20 KMPL on highway.

3. Test rode MJD in moderate city traffic conditions. Turbo lag is manageable. This may be because I am already driving Indica vista Multijet. Turbo starting from 1800 rpm. Changed gears at 2K-2.2K rpm and can feel the punch in the engine. Under shifting of gears is promptly answered by jerks and I can feel lack of power and engine lugging etc. I think to feel the punch in the engine we should be in the turbo zone. Accurate gear shifting is the key. You can listen the engine whining after 2200 rpm. I got no opportunity to further rev the engine. One more thing-Gear shifting is not as smooth as TJET. I feel particularly difficult to engage second gear from first gear

T-JET gear slotting is better than MJD.

4. T-Jet is very silent and smooth. Ironically I feel turbo lag in T-JET also. Here also timing of gear shifting is important. Cabin is silent even after 2500 rpm. Max speed achieved is 100 kmph on highway. Noise of tyres is more at high speeds especially on uneven roads.

Try keeping RPM above 1600 RPM for T-JET in city, there wont be any problem. During highway trips, keep RPM around 2200 to extract max power and better mileage.

7. I find the small arm rest in Linea is very difficult for me to use. Is it height adjustable like skoda rapid? Shall I further decrease my seat height to use the arm rest?

Not sure about this. In older version, arm rest is height adjustable.

8.Range of tilt adjustable steering wheel is less:arghh:
    But for your height it should not be a problem. I am of same height of yours and I find comfortable spot with current range.

9. MJD Linea is available in my city at a discount of Rs 85000/-. That means I am getting Diesel sedan for the price of TJET. However Insurance is free for T-JET.

Tough call... I will leave this to you to figure it out based on your needs. ;)

After test riding both vehicles I am thinking of booking MJD Linea Sunbeam gold. I feel MJD is more practical and economical. Now only three things are pulling me back.
    -What is about all four disc brakes on TJET and only two disc brakes on MJD? How much this effect braking ability in diesel linea?
    -Ghat road drivability of MJD. I could not test this myself personally.

T-Jet will be fun and effortless in this scenario for sure.

-Is there any possibility of launching 1.6 MJD Linea after this clearance sale in early 2015?
    I wish but FIAT does not listen to all wishes. :)

-Are these FE reports on MID of these TD vehicles correct?
    Already answered above
    drsantoshms likes this.
  10. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    With the introduction of Vento and Rapid Diesel automatics, they will be attract more buyers than Fiat. Those cars are now really a value proposition for ease of drive.
    prabhjot likes this.