1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. turborider

turborider Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    Experts opinion needed - This weekend I was trying to understand the behaviour of TJet Engine so did couple of experience:
    1. Drove it between 2K-3K rpm across various speed and up shifted around 2.5Krpm
    2. Drove it between 2.5K -3.5K sometime 4K rpm across various speed upshifting around 3.5K

Surprisingly mileage is ~20% better in 2nd case. I was under the impression that we have to keep it in turboband to extract better mileage. But I was not aware that we have to keep it in higher rpm to extract better mileage.
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 17, 2014 ---
    External Link -

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/street-experiences/109249-accidents-india-pics-206.html#post1422879
    Look at pics of comment #3088

These pictures helped me decide couple of months back.

Additionaly, Linea has the best brakes in the segment and surprisingly we don't talk about it as much as it deserves. Remember a good car is not only takes you 0-100 faster but also decelerates from 100-0 fastest covering shortest possible distance. Suggest you to take a test ride of all cars in the segment and then see the braking power of TJet.
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 17, 2014
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Ya, i try and delay my upshifts, just so that the full benefit of the turbo band can be availed of. Earlier I was getting 10- km/l, and now I get 11+ (in Delhi Gurgaon traffic, AC always on).

I posted the same point earlier. interesting how no automag or even a forum of ostensible aficionados like teambhp, takes this seriously.

Did you know that the new Linea T-jet stops from 80 to 0 kph AS MUCH AS 2.75metres before a new 2014 Honda City. And they say the City is a safe car, despie its tinny build, because its crumple zones are well designed?!

The exceptional brakes on the Linea, and esp the all-four disc 16-inch 205 mm wide tyres T-Jet, are reason enough to buy this beautiful and great sedan.
    nbvcrao, drsantoshms, mchanna and 4 others like this.
  3. acechip

acechip Superiore

Pray, tell me where in India are you able to keep Linea TJet running at 3500 RPM without bumping into traffic ahead ? In Pune city and suburbs, the moment I surge past 2500 RPM, there is a bike or a Ace minivan or a rickshaw , besides cars and other large commercial vehicles. Yet I do get around 12kmpl steady now for the past nearly 3 years.
    The last time I ran my TJet at a steady 2500-3000 RPM was on the Mumbai-Pune Expressway at 120kph.
    asimpleson and prabhjot like this.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Consider yourself bit lucky that you don't drive in Mumbai. Apart from few stretches on Eastern and Western Express highway, there aren't many places for the turbo to work fulltime ;)
  5. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai

Santhosh....In my recent trip to Ooty with my MJD & my friend's T-Jet, I found out that T-Jet is 100% better to drive in ghat roads. I drove my friend's T-Jet for quite a good distance in ghat road & when I switched back to MJD, I felt a sudden loss of power. But I must say that in highways, MJD was much better than T-Jet. The mid & high range power of MJD is unbeatable by T-Jet. So if you are planning to drive more in ghats & city, go for T-Jet.
    drsantoshms, mchanna and prabhjot like this.
  6. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    @turborider
    Thanks for the link to that real life crash accident. That clearly shows how well these FIAT cars are built.
    @kailasmenon2000
    I heard in some other forum that linea MJD top end performance (post 130 kmph) is not good. I am quoting the exact words." The Multijet has a great mid-range, but the top end is nothing to write home about. It will hit speeds in excess of 160 km/h, but will need a little persuading post the 130 km/h mark." How is your linea MJD driving experience in top speeds?

I request all Fiat Linea fans to go through this very beautifully written review on Linea in Indian cars and bikes forum.
    http://www.indiancarsbikes.in/auto-news/2014-fiat-linea-13multijet-diesel-facelift-review-89423/

prabhjot likes this.
  7. acechip

acechip Superiore

Actually you have summed up the difference rather well. Although I must say, that there is something additional to do with the gearshift.
    On the highway, past 80-90 kph, both MJD and TJet are similar in performance, but while you need to downshift the TJet in case of a change of momentum, you may not need to do the same in case of the MJD. BUT, and a big one at that, the TJet does rev all the way up to nearly 5500 rpm and that can take you past 150 kph very easily. The MJD will indeed need some persuading beyond 130.

I am saying all this with the disclaimer of a pure enthusiast. On a more practical note, such high speeds cannot be sustained on Indian roads for long, and must be avoided 100% of the time from the perspective of safety of self and others (including other road users).

Therefore, I would say, take your pick amongst the MJD/TJet. TJet does come with all-wheel disc brakes and therefore a slightly better braking action.
    drsantoshms and prabhjot like this.
  8. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Dear friends,
    Can I ask you tell all the differences in features between Linea TJET petrol and Multijet diesel versions. I will mention what I know. Are there any other features I am missing..
    1. Chrome exhaust tip
    2. 190 mm GC vs. 185 for diesel
    3.All four disc brakes for T-Jet
    4??Different style Alloy wheels??
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I think the two get the same alloys. which are class-best (as usual), of course.

The MJD is great but the T-jet is brilliant, capable of thrilling. Fuel economy should be the only consideration in adjudicating between the two, otherwise I believe the T-jet offers value worth 5-6 lakhs.
  10. turborider

turborider Timido

Mumbai
    Mumbai
    Linea T-Jet
    @acechip

I happen to live beside Eastern Expressway and travel to Airoli for Work, so do get some open stretches ;)