1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 2014 - Test Drive and Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.4 T-Jet' started by nkrishnap, Feb 24, 2014.

1. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    So many outings @turborider, and not a single pics!:cigar::pompus: Please post some in the respective threads.
  2. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    I am really impressed by driving dynamics of Fiat Linea T-JET Emotion. But few things are pulling me back. Plz tell me whether they are significant deal breakers.
    1. Projector Head Lamps-Definitely useful in night rides.
    2. Navigation device and rear view camera [ I am graduating from a hatch back and i fear reversing and parking issues in a big sedan like linea]
    3. Big turning radius.
    4. Rear seat leg room.
    5. Mileage of T-JET. Waiting for better clarity in petrol,diesel price gaps.
    6. Lack of storage spaces/bottle and cup holders.

Now, Positive points:
    1. Exterior looks. I am not a fan of angles, kinks, shoulder lines and prism cuts in body.
    2. super dashboard design. Premium feel of interiors. Leather seats.
    3.Cruise control
    4. Electronic boot release. Electronic fuel cap release is missed.
    5. Boot space.
    6. Excellent best in classT-JET engine..super driving and handling.
    7. All four disc brakes. 16 inch alloys.
    8. Best in class built quality
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Replies to your queries in the same order.

1. Projector headlamps would have been good. However, the Linea headlights coupled with the fog lamps are more than sufficient in most conditions
    2. Both of these are available after market, definitely should not be a dealer breaker. More so when the same navigation device can be used in multiples cars (just in case you own more than one ;))
    3. A long sedan with 5.4m turning radius can be a pain, but definitely manageable.
    4. Though the legroom feels short, its does more than make up in the comfort and the underthigh support
    5. Do refer to the mileage numbers on the forum from various ownership threads. It does match the segment
    6. The new Linea has 3 bottle holders, one each on the front door and the one along with the rear AC vents. But the down side is the single cup holder.

These are short comings and I would not look at it as deal breakers though.

Get the Tjet home and enjoy the drive ;)
    drsantoshms, Murphy_Fiat and prabhjot like this.
  4. drsantoshms

drsantoshms Amatore

Hyderabad
    Linea 1.3
    Thanx nkrishnap for your prompt and point to point replies. I read your ecellent Leh trip travelogue recently. I want to ask one more thing. I know several people already asked same question before but it still worries me.
    Did u ever feel Linea multijet ever lacking power in ghat roads? I plan to take Linea in several Ghat roads. Especially Sabarimala hills every year for Lord Ayyappa darshan. I found some very steep ghat stretches in madurai to pumba road. Did u feel its pain to drive linea MJD in city traffic especially in bumper to bumper traffic?
    Only because of this turbolag of fiat linea mentioned in various forums, I am considering T-JET though i love good mileage of oil burner.
  5. Well, calling a spade a spade, I'd definitely say the space and cabin management overall, not just the bottle or cup holders, is bad. And FIAT should consider this feedback seriously. Space should not be a concern in such a big car.

But,you drive it you will neglect all the short comings. This is what I call there is always scope for improving perfection. The car is awesome and you just have to own to believe it. Don't need to highlight points as there are so many.

Really pity Indians for the lack of taste and going after the Hs
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2014
    drsantoshms and prabhjot like this.
  6. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    I bought the new Linea T-jet Emotion Sunbeam Gold recently.

I second everything nkrishnap has stated in his last post.

Couple of points: The T-jet's a very flexible engine, great for both city and highway. Drive it smart, adapting to the rhythm of the turbo and it will return city mileage of 10-12, all else being equal, and upto 16-17, easily, on faster open roads.

Diesel price deregulation is well underway, too. I'd go for the t-jet over the mjd which is also a very good engine, unfairly scoffed at by folks who haven't adapted to its character i.e., who judge it too hastily and impressionisticaly.

I feel the rear space in the Linea is perfectly fine as long as you are not sitting behind someone more than 6ft tall. Moreover: visually the legroom appears lesser than competition but, as nkrishnap points out, under thigh support is great because the seat base is very wide, wider than any other car in the segment i think. The quality of the leather on the seats are a clear class-best too. Married to the flat supple ride, silent suspension and tight handling, comfort levels like the build quality are easily worthy of the D-segment.

Finally, more than anything, much more than the engine, I love the truly class-beating brakes and alloys+tyres on the new Linea T-jet.

Did you know the beefy T-jet stops from 80 to 0 kph as many as 2.75 metres BEFORE the top-spec light Honda City? Autocar/Whatcar? test result, that. The probable difference between life and death, imo, those 2.75m!!

Have not had any issues whatsoever with my car so far.

My only complaint is that Fiat's implementation of the redesign for the front grill and bumper should've referenced rather than abandoned the earlier Maserati/Italianate look more. In that sense, i prefer the Punto Evo's 'hotter' treatment for the grill and front bumper. Hope they redo the front again, maybe next year?

Just a couple of thoughts. Hope they're useful.

I believe you've stolen my t-jetted thoughts there!;-)
    drsantoshms and bharath like this.
  7. ccprakash

ccprakash Regolare

Bangalore
    I heard from one of the sales representative from Fiat Caffe. If you are driving on cruise you will get more mileage is it true? He said he got 20+ mileage while he was driving in cruise on Tjet.
  8. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    Its true. My prefacelift Tjet has given me 20+kmpl in the 100km stretch of Pune-mum eway.
    With Cruise control 'Ye Dil Maange More'!! :)
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    Oh Good !! What was the speed you set and how many times you slowed down or brake in that stretch (as i know pune-mum eway is good for cruising)

- CM
    prabhjot likes this.
  10. pabhishek

pabhishek Esperto

Oslo
    Pune
    Linea T-Jet
    @King CM
    I stopped once in the second food mall before second toll plaza(Khalapur). Average speed maintained was around 70kmph as in MID.
    In the entire stretch, i never braked/accelerated abruptly. It was a leisure drive, so drove it like that, keeping an eye on readings! :)
    prabhjot likes this.