1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 1.3 MJD Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by kailasmenon2000, Mar 5, 2014.

1. vasanth.k

vasanth.k Timido

madurai
    bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Apologies for hacking the thread :).

I own a 2014 Linea Multijet, the car is 5 weeks old.

Problem faced: There is a violent jerk experienced in the 3rd gear, between 1500-1800 rpm. The issue can be easily replicated 6/10 times. At 1500 RPM you are already accelerating , so I believe has got nothing to do with the clutch, while the jerk experienced can be explained as :- the engine goes dead for a moment, a fraction of the second , it sprungs back to life :grumpy: , hence the jerk. After this so called Jerk moment everything seems to be fine . No check lights comes up during the Jerk moment as well.

The car was briought from KHT Fiat, My close pal whom I influenced to buy a Punto Evo 90 HP is also experiencing the same problem of violent jerk , that too in the same 3rd gear between 1500-1800 rpm.

The KHT fiat service guys, just put the car in the ECU scan and said everything is fine, hence prooved :banghead:. But the problem isnt solved.

Please help me out guys with your valuable suggestions, looks like my best pal will not be best anymore.:bucktooth:
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    At what speed? The 'jerk' could just be because you've upshifted to 3rd gear too soon, leading to a dropping out of the turbo band which comes in/drops out exactly around these rpm-s? Keep the car in the turbozone by staying in second longer, shift up to third only if the speed justifies it.
  3. gopan

gopan Timido

cochin
    I too experience this problem with my new lenea mjd. It is not violent jerk in my case but like a gear shift in an auto transmission vehicle. Early upshift could be the reason as suggested by prabhjoth, as I havent experienced the problem when upshifted at higher rpm
    prabhjot likes this.
  4. vasanth.k

vasanth.k Timido

madurai
    bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Apologies for the delayed response (limited access to the internet over the weekend ). I revalidated the issue, it either occurs in the margins of 1500-1800 rpm or 1900-2000 rpm.

In case if I have upshifted too soon, then the jerk shud be immediately after the upshift as in that scenario I will be driving in a higher gear for the lower speed.

But the car is cruising between 40-50 kmph, in 3rd gear im properly accelerating, the engine is building rpm and then the jerk comes for a second, then it continues accelerating as usual. This problem is there only in the 3rd gear. Thats making this issue beyond my comprehension:(. So Im kind of lost here. Same behavior with my friend's Punto Evo Sport

Escalated the issue to Fiat, wow I really like the follow-up from the Fiat team :). I owned a Skoda Fabia tdi elegance before (for 5 years ), so you will get the drift. The fiat customer care is miles ahead when it comes to the follow-up vis-à-vis messed up Skoda:cow:. I'll be taking the car back to K.H.T fiat along with my friend's Punto Evo Sport by Monday (27th October) and hope they are able to get to the bottom of the issue.

Read few complaints in Team-BHP, where couple of guys have reported a similar issue. The replies to those threads suggest that it could be the case due to adulterated fuel, probably messed up fuel filter or air filter. I assume this could be also a source for this issue, as in the Stockyard, they were filling diesel in the new " to be " delivered cars using some random rusted cans. So im guessing the initial 5 litre possibly adulterated fuel has screwed up the filters.

Kindly Pour in your thoughts!.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    I have experienced this as well. Got it on highways, not in city. Both 3rd & 4th have this issue. The band is same as @vasanth.k mentioned, around 1500 - 1800 RPM.
    It is like a sudden pull (which is enough to panic new drivers), kind of uncontrolled, but not a jerky one.
    It is like, the turbo forgot to kick in @ 1500, went on without turbo and suddenly woke up @ 1700 RPM or so, to catch up to the right speed @ 1700 RPM for the acceleration. But for a short time of 1 - 1.5 Secs.

But in my case, I am not able reproduce it in city driving. Even in highways, it gets reproduced sometimes and not always.

I had registered this complaint during my 1st service with KHT and they said they have rectified it. I could not get the details of the fix, as had to leave the place early after service pickup. Will call up KHT and find it tomorrow about the details.

- CM
    Hari baskaran likes this.
  6. vasanth.k

vasanth.k Timido

madurai
    bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Good to hear that KHT was able to fix the issue. Kindly share the details once you get them.

But the issue you have quoted here sounds more like the turbo lag associated with the MJD, where in under hard acceleration the turbo kicks in past 1500 rpm, once it kicks the acceleration is immediate, giving u a feeling of uncontrolled acceleration. This is quite normal and have fun with the turbo kicks :D
  7. King CM

King CM Amatore

Bangalore
    I would also like it to be a turbo lag issue. But, unfortunately, it is not. The turbo lag is more evident in the lower rpms. This seems to be a clear turbo delay. As you know, the turbo doesnt kick in randomly, but within a very short band above 1500 RPM.

And I just gave this turbo delay as an example for people to understand. It might not be turbo delay. It might be some ECU confusion based on some wrong parameters it measured as well. I am not sure.

Even though KHT claims they have fixed it, I doubt it as they neither reproduced the issue and so effectively cannot have confirmed the fix as well :). I am just hoping they have fixed it.

- CM
    prabhjot likes this.
  8. Kiran S

Kiran S Timido

Bengaluru
    Bengaluru
    Linea 1.3
    Hi All,

This is my first post on TeamFiat :).

I own a Linea MJD 2014 model which is less than 2 month old.
    I am also facing the same issue reported by Vasanth. The jerks are felt in the range of 1500 - 2000 RPM in 3rd gear.
    Jerks can be described as loss of power for a second and resume normal acceleration. Jerks are felt not because surge of acceleration due to Turbo kicking-in but because of loss of power for a second. I too thought this could be because of adulterated Diesel so changed many station but issue keeps on occurring.

Will take car to Vecto motor service station for the first service as car is already approaching 3500 KM.
    Hoping they will identify and correct the problem.
    prabhjot likes this.
  9. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    Try changing your pattern of revving, randomize it a bit: it could be that the ECU which adapts and learns your driving style doesn't always like your current pattern? Just a suggestion, say what @asimpleson, could that be it?
  10. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    No it not due to Ecu, most probably problem with clutch solenoid sensor/switch. It costs about Rs.600.
    This particular sensor holds rpm for some micro seconds so that engine does't jerk while shifting gears. In other words, it dont let rpm drop all of a sudden while clutch is pressed. This can also solved the power loss problem.
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2015
    PradeepM, asimpleson and prabhjot like this.