1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Facelift 1.3 MJD Test Drive & Review

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by kailasmenon2000, Mar 5, 2014.

1. DRIV3R

DRIV3R Esperto

You can operate PW after turning off engine and before opening any door for 2 mins.

Yes, available since 2012.
  2. Ragu

Ragu

Bangalore
    Hi MJD owners,

Just want to know whether 1.3 MJD struggles over hilly roads with 5 on board. Planning for Munnar, Ooty, Kodaikanal kinda trips with family once I buy a car. Based on your inputs, will go for new Linea MJD Emotion, otherwise will go for City iDtech SV.

Please, I need inputs only from those who have driven their MJD on hilly roads. Bit informative reply would greatly help me in deciding. As of now, I took the TD only on the electronic city flyover and had no issues. My fear was - What if I have to break in the mid of a steep incline, put handbrake, release the handbrake, release brake, quickly accelerate. How Linea MJD will handle this situation

One more query. Let's say Fiat is plonking 1.6 MJD in Linea in 2 years time. Then, what would be the resale value of 15,000 kms, 2 year old 1.3 MJD of 11,60,000 on road price
  3. sine04

sine04 Regolare

Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Mysore/Bangalore, Karnataka.
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I've done the Ooty stretches a fair few times. The car doesn't even break into a sweat. So relax..it takes a lot more to rattle a 1.3mjd. :)

15000 kms in 2 years? Wouldn't you be better off with a petrol?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
  4. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If the Linea can go the distance in the Himalayas, Munnar, Kodai are not an issue at all. I have done these routes a few times and it did not post any problems at all. The short 1st and 2nd gear ratios will ensure you won't face difficulties while climbing up steep inclines.

Though the city has a 1.5 litre the torque lesser than the 1.3 mjd. You will love the Linea for the way it drives every time you get behind the steering wheel.

Go ahead with the Linea.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. Ragu

Ragu

Bangalore
    I'm not sure whether Fiat will launch 1.6MJD in 2 years time. If they take some more years to launch it, then T jet will bite my pocket after 3 years for my 7000 kms/year approximate running.
    There are two reasons to avoid T jet. 1)My running may increase. 2) I may have to live with this 1.3 MJD as long as it runs (Unexpected financial contraints, Fiat taking 4,5 years or more to launch 1.6mjd )
    So, I don't want to take the risk of Tjet's wallet factor or driving City as long as it runs.

Thanks Krishna. I personally experienced the handling of Linea (60 kms), Palio (200 kms), City (30 kms), Zen ( 200) and that's the reason for my inclination towards Linea and I'm getting very good discounts as well for the 2014 new linea:p :)

Any idea about the loss in resale value/year for Tjet, MJD?
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    If you are doing more than 800-1000 kms a month stick to diesel. More so because there is no vast cost difference between the two unlike earlier times where diesel used to cost at least lakh more. The urge to drive the Linea more is only going to increase.

The diesel will command better resale value. However the Fiats in general does have slightly lower resale value compared to the competition.

Do note that the resale value also depends on the condition of the car and accident free history.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Tapatalk
    PradeepM and kailasmenon2000 like this.
  7. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    @ Ragu, once you are smitten by Linea bug; in future you might forget the term resell, resale value etc :D with all new interior layout, its even more delightful. Lineas and Pountos are absolute workhorses which can serve you faithfully for years. Don't worry about the hilly drive. As Krishna mentioned, MJD's torquey nature ensures the car has enough to surge ahead. Just, enjoy the Linea drive. Good luck for your selection :up

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ichimaru

Ichimaru Regolare

Gurgaon, India
    I happened to TD the new Linea in the TJET as well as the MJD avtar one after the other in Gurgaon couple of weeks back. Here are my impressions –
    Common Likes –

• Amazing Interiors
    • Great Ride and Handling
    • Steering & Suspension setup
    • Super Built Quality
    • Looks better in person than in pictures
    • Huge seats with great support
    • Refined Engines
    • Shorter gear throw
    • Brilliant AC
    • Dead Pedal
    • Excellent Brakes
    • 15000 KM service interval
    • 3 years standard warranty
    • Low maintenance and spare parts costs

Common Dislikes –

• The arm rest should slide or should have been a little longer
    • Due to the increase in GC there is an evident difference in the ride quality and handling. Its still great but not as good as the earlier Linea.
    • Again, since I have driven the earlier Linea and have been driving the Punto since the last two and a half years, I can make out that the body roll has increased due to the increase in GC. I wished the GC should have remained under 180 mm.
    • Audio System is still not that good
    • Rear Leg room.

I would not get into much details as there are no new engines offered with the new Linea.

The TJET is a hoot to drive and is arguably the best petrol car in the segment. It is just not possible to drive it slow. However, the steering felt very light and I did not like it as much as the diesel sibling. It can return decent KM/L figures if driven sedately but I guess one just can’t drive it with a light foot.

MJD on the other hand felt slow. Don’t get me wrong, the car is not really slow but with these kind of dynamics, it keeps you craving for more horses under the hood. Steering of the MJD was heavier and IMHO was perfectly weighed. I felt like the engine noise inside the cabin was lesser as compared to the earlier model.
    A special mention of the seats again. There is absolutely no doubt that Linea should have more leg room but I feel that the seats are much; much bigger than the other cars of the segment. The rear seats had phenomenal under thigh support! I would like to do a size comparison with the city if I get time.

I think FIAT should have plonked in the 1.6 MJD VGT in the Linea with the dualogic gearbox. Also, some features that I do miss are
    Reverse parking camera
    electrically foldable mirrors
    sun/moon roof
    hill holder
    auto closing windows once the car is locked

That’s all guys. Thanks for reading and do ask me in case there are any questions in your mind. Would be happy to help.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    2 people like this.
  9. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Few Pics for your eyes :)

TW.jpg

grey.jpg

BNW.jpg

- - - Merged Post - - -

BNW Old Vs New.

frnt.jpg

bck1.jpg

========================================================================================

bnw12.jpg
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2014
  10. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Ragu...Ive taken my MJD to Munnar, Vagamon,Ooty etc & never faced an issue. My parents own a Honda City too. From driving both the cars I can say that Fiat always thrills me. It made me a better traveller, it made me fall into the art of driving.. City is like Point A-B no nonsense car. But you won't feel anything after a good long drive. Where as Linea is just the opposite. Ive even taken the car at midnight just for a ride after a long drive just coz of the love I have towards Linea...

In my opinion City scores in city driving. Its an easy to drive car. Where as Fiat is a beast in highways and you'll feel safe too. The ride & handling is the best under Rs.20lakh car. Also the suspension, braking & build quality are top notch.

And about resale value. Yes. Its the only place where Linea scores less. There is a considerable loss of money when you sell a Fiat car. But thats coz of the brand image they have. But its changing fast. I think to build the brand value better, they are doing their best, even better than other companies. I guarantee you that you'll never regret a moment buying the car coz of the sheer pleasure it gives you driving.

Just go for it!

- - - Merged Post - - -

Oh thats good Ganges. Its great to see old & new Lineas together :D