1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Emotion Rear Windshield (With defogger) Got Cracked Without Reason!

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by Sumitr, Sep 1, 2014.

1. Sumitr

Sumitr Timido

Pune
    Yesterday evening,while normal city driving my rear windshield (With defogger) of Linea Emotion (Model Dec 2009) got cracked,got a balloon like breaking sound internally,defogger was on as it was raining outside,100% no signs of external object impact,not sure why this has happened but seems due to temperature difference of defogger and external temperature.

Anybody observed this?,need to replace rear windshield (With defogger) anybody aware of replacement cost in pune,maharashtra?
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Unfortunate, I don't think anyone faced this problem.
    I guess your warranty would have been over, so you can try to use Insurance. Full glass has to be replaced.
  3. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Had you left the defogger on by mistake even when it was not required? My guess is this is what has happened. Do remember that the rear glass does not get hot air (unlike the front). The heating element heats up quickly resulting in sudden temperature change in a short amount of time. This probably caused the failure

No idea about the estimate. Should be 5-6k at least. Check with Pandit Auto.
  4. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Even in that case, there is a cut-off time (I think its 20 mins or so), after which it gets switched off.
  5. jumu

jumu Superiore

Chennai
    It has happened on my car, without reason. It just crumbled. Since the rear windshield is without lamination unlike the front , it tends to crumble. So in a rear end collision, the crumbled glass will be all over the place. It happened when I went for a free check up offer at RDC. They only removed the sticker of a TATA dealer to install their sticker and lo, it simply cracked to bits. Well mine didnt have a defogger and cant comment on the cause. May be there was some stress resting at the sicker point.. I escaped liability as the car was under RDC care at that point of time, so they gave me a free replacement within 4 hours and it was a saturday evening too. I was dropped at my home by the MD in his mercedes!!. Great service. Well it was very early days for RDC in fiat avatar.
  6. Sumitr

Sumitr Timido

Pune
    Thanks for the info,primary temp difference seems to be reason for this,it was raining outside so defogger was on when it was cracked,i have called Pandit & SkyMoto,Estimated all inclusive cost seems to be around Rs.3500-4000 where as one service 'Windshield Experts' are quoting Rs.4200 (Total home repair through mobile doorstep facility)
  7. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    Another reason for the failure can be ageing, the glass might have become brittle. Its been 5 yrs since the car was purchased. Like Ravi said, cant be due to defogger on since the defogger auto cuts off after specific time.

The estimated price is correct. I hope you have insurance to claim. Just ensure that the sealing is correctly taken care of.
  8. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    I had precisely similar sound when the door was opened on the Siena a few months back during afternoon hours, except on the windshield in my case at an inconspicuous place at the bottom of the windshield. The sound was starling and did not notice at first that glass was cracked about 4 inches. Showed it to a windshield guy, who recommended that repair is possible by some technique, but replacement is better. On second thoughts he himself also suggested that I better leave it since it was very small and not compromising on safety as the glass would not crack further unless hit from outside. So living with it for now. I had got this one changed last year itself by original Fiat marked Saint Gobain Sekurit glass. :(

As regards cause, I can only guess that there was pressure difference due to tight door seal which could perhaps cause an implosive effect and some weak point on the glass gave in while opening the door. Though never really investigated it myself in detail on other possible causes.