1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Emotion - problems with gear change

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Sri, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Sri

Sri Novizio

Bangalore
    I have noticed this terrible issue in my last two long drives.

1. Drive at around 100Kmph for long time ( as in long distance drive)
    2. Shift to lower gears
    3. Changing gears to and from 4th gear is very very difficult. I have to practically use all my strength to get the gear shifted out of 4th gear to 3rd or 5th. It also appears that the shift into 4th gear is not complete- seems stuck somewhere in between (observing the position of the gear stick).
    4. Problem is seen even if you turn off for half and hour or so and resume driving.

I have seen this problem in my last two long drives. I suspect this could be something going wrong due to high temperature ..
    Driving through city traffic doesnt show this problem. Though I suspect the gear shift isnt as smooth as it should be.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Sri I never faced this issue in my 1.2 Emotion Punto
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Sri, get the gear cable adjusted. Assuming the clutch and pressure plates are fine, the problem seems to lie with the adjustment of the gear cable.

Should be set right in 10 mins by an experienced guy.

Gurjinder.
  4. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Sri, I got my pressure plate change due to hardness and krrrr sound in reverse gear. As time passed, 1st gear also became hard.

After pressure plate change, problem was resolved 90-95% immediatly. Rest smoothness came with time and after CSC was changed to metal one.

Don't drive much and take your car to SC.
  5. Sri

Sri Novizio

Bangalore
    But why only after a long drive at relatively high speed ?
  6. Yes I have been facing hard gears as well. Especially the 3rd to 4th or 4th to 3rd on highways. I have issues of shifting to reverse as well. Issues started after CSC changed from plastic to metal. Have done 12500, so probably would get it done during 2nd service
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Are the gear shifts absolutely smooth during city commutes? How many km's has the car run.

Gear sticking in between is classic gear cable symptom.
  8. Sri

Sri Novizio

Bangalore
    Its not absolutely smooth. There is some kind of resistance during gear change. However, I can change gears without getting stuck.
    The car has done around 9500 Kms.

9. gurjinder

Punjab
    9500 km's means the clutch and pressure plates should be okay, ideally that is.

The best bet is to take the car to the dealer and get the cause verified and rectified.

Because we can only do that much of a diagnosis online.

Gurjinder
  10. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    My one Observation about Gear shifting problems.

When there is bad fuel gear shift becomes tedious. Shocked ?
    Many members will ask what is the relation between bad fuel and hard gearshift Right ?

As per my logic & experiences:-
    In Gearbox, every gear is designed by taking into consideration its Gear Ratio and the torque and its max torque ratio.

When we put bad fuel, on each RPM torque & power figure of engine are drastically affected.
    Because of this bad effect improper load comes on that particular gear and its shifting cones and internal gear shifting mechanism.So that we experience the hard and vague gearshift.

But obviously this logic is correct if your clutch system is ALL IS WELL.

Don't get laugh I have experienced this on my Pulsar 150,180 & 220 also.

Pulsar formula :- As you know pulsar comes with Balancer Idler Gear to cut crankshaft vibes.

This balancer is connected clutch housing and crankshaft of Pulsar. Balancer is used to cut the vibes. But it has some limitations. Balancer can cut vibes upto some vibration limits. When we put bad fuel in Pulsar, Vibrations crosses its limit. After the particular limits of vibrations, balancer can't absorbes the vibes.

So as mentioned above improper load comes on clutch & on each RPM torque & power figure of engine are drastically affected.
    Because of this bad effect improper load comes on that particular gear and its shifting cones and internal gear shifting mechanism.So that we experience the hard and vague gearshift.

This case happened with my GP also. I cleaned fuel tack and fuel lines of my GP. Dealer put some fuel which was available in his workshop.
    After that problem of poor acceleration and flat spot disappeared. & Voila gear became also smooth.

But when I put fuel at one outlet of BP , again problem of poor acceeration and vague gearshift started.
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2011