1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Emotion paint flaking off in less than 2.5 years

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by BasicEnggCo, May 4, 2012.

1. BasicEnggCo

BasicEnggCo

Hi Friends, I am a proud owner of Fiat Linea MJD Emotion pk. It was bought in Sep 2009 from Dhingra Motors in Gurgaon. The VIN number of the car is MCA11071709007867FPZ.

Surprisingly the paint of the car has started peeling off and another shade of white is showing from below. It is happening in patches on bonnett, doors. boot lid and numerous other spots.

The temp registration certificate issued by Dealer says the colour as BN White (bossa nova white?), whereas the vehicle delivery acknowledgement note mentions the colour as Vocal white.

I want to know if in 2009 both the colors were available in different Fiat Models apart from Linea ????

Can someone fully decode the above VIN number. I tried online decoders but failed. They could not tell me anything beyond country of manufacture.

I have complained to both FIAT and Dealer and Fiat was prompt enought to send one Mr Asif from BSF paints who is paint vendor for Fiat to inspect the car.

He initially said that clear coat is peeling off but I showed him freshly feeled flakes on spot and he agreed that 2 different shade white paints are there on the car, one below the other.

Suprisingly the entire body from inside out has this. From my own little knowledge I can easily conclude that this piece was resprayed at the factory end or dealer end to hide some anamoly in the documentation or it was a testride car or a different paint shade was tested on an already painted car at the factory end.

Whatever the reason be, I as a consumer is the sufferer. I have pointed the above facts to FIAT and they have replied that only one shade of white vocal white comes in Fiat cars.

I want to know from where this BN White comes in temp reg certificate.

And its worth mentioning here that the top coat is creamish metallic white similar but a bit darker to Pearl White in other cars.

And the inside white coat of paint is like a brilliant shade of white.

I am awaiting response from Fiat end.

I want to know whether the resale value of the car will be effcted if they offer to repaint the car.

Should I as a customer accept a car that has been badly painted at the factory end.

Should not FIAT being such a large international auto giant replace my car with a new one without any costs involved on my part.

What are the consumer protection laws that will apply in this case and how to prove in the court that its a manufactuing defect.

And above all selling a repainted car to an unsuspecting buyer in itself is unethical.

Its a breach of trust selling a substandardly repainted car. At the time of purchase there is no method to check if a car is repainted or not. They all look alike gleaming and shining. The actual facts come out later.

I will paste the pictures of the car very soon.

I request the other members to help me out in my persuit of justice. I want the car to be replaced.
  2. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    First vocal white is introduced and stopped and started giving Bossa Nova White.

Decoding procedure for Vehicle Identification Number is there in this very forum itself. Try advanced search option.

From what you say It appears that something wrong happened with your beloved car. I think FIAT don't fool customers. It may have happened from dealers end.

When did you find the fact that two different colors are mention in temp. registration certificate and delivery acknowledgement note.

Have some snaps of the areas where paid peeled off. Better, to get a certificate from the person who inspected you car, It will be helpful for you later.

Moreover there is a cosmetic(paint) warranty for the car for 24 months or up to 80,000 Kms. But, your car is 2.5 years old. Anyways, paint should not peel off in 2.5 years.

update with reply from fiat end.

---------- Post added at 08:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 AM ----------

Edit:- MCA 1107170 9007867 FPZ

MCA = FIAT INDIA

1107170 = 1.3 MJTD 16V 90CV/66KW E3 ACTIVE

9007867 = SERIAL NUMBER OF YOUR VEHICLE

F = JUNE PZ = 2009.

Update whether the details correspond to your documentation.
  3. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Can you post some pictures of your car
    It's normal for your car to have different paint as base coat and second and other subsequent coats to be your original paint. This is how the cars with pearl effect are painted.
    My car VIN ends with GPZ meaning July 2009 and your ends with FPZ = June 2009 the time when Fiat stopped Vocal White and Introduced B.N. White. Vocal White was discontinued as it was costly as well as to make B.N. White standard in Linea and Punto and save costs. Vocal White was my favorite color on Linea and I badly wanted that

Re-painting doesn't effect resale as long as the car has not had any major accident or chasis damage.
    Just get a letter from dealer or Fiat that it was a manufacturing defect and it was repainted as good as original and they would honor any future claim for any paint defect for say 4-5 years.
    I don't think any manufacturer would replace a car after 2.5 years of usage.
  4. ManUTDian

ManUTDian Amatore

New Delhi
    I doubt Fiat would have done that, could be a case where Dealer repainted it in BNW to clear his stock, sometime when told that a particular colour is discontinued, buyers don't go for it.

or as Vijay above said, coats could be of different shades to give desired end result.

Do consult from market also.
  5. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Whoever is responsible doesn't matter, since Fiat provides 5 years painting warranty, they should fix it for free.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Ravi fiat gives only 2 years warranty against paint defects and rust.
  7. mvb4u

mvb4u Regolare

AndhraPradesh
    Guntur
    Grande Punto 1.3
    It is 2.5 years or upto 80,000 Kms. that is what I have seen in my punto warranty book-let.