1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Classic Test Drive/Review

Discussion in 'Linea Classic 1.3 MJD' started by nkrishnap, Oct 6, 2013.

1. Rajarshi

Rajarshi Amatore

Kolkata
    Great review. I dont understand why FIAT launched Linea classic? Are they are trying to target the taxi market? Why people will go for Linea Classic + when they are getting fully loaded Punto!!!
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Thanks for sharing with us the thorough review, Krishna :)

From your description, the engine's tuning seems to be the same as the Punto 76 - good low rpm response and hits a wall (well, sort of) at 3000 or so rpm. Makes you wonder what sort of "optimisation-for-city" did FIAT do? How different did it feel to the Punto 76 below 2000rpm?

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  3. Jotinder

Jotinder Regolare

New Delhi
    Linea 1.3
    Classic is lighter by around 100kg from regular Linea, that what I came to know. But couldnt find exact weight loss and where. The rumor is that there are changes done in boot area to make it lighter. Akshay and me were together yesterday at Ambala Cantt Metro Motor when he took test ride and Krishna review is spot on.
    2 people like this.
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    To list a few, less weight can be attributed to:

01. 76hp engine is marginally lighter than 90hp engine (as evident from kerb weight of 76hp vs 90hp punto).
    02. Rear seat does not get metal seat back and has a regular carpet covered back when viewed from the boot.
    03. Smaller tyres having lesser weight?
    04. The boot lid does not have any insulation and may be they made a lighter boot lid for the classic.
    05. Engine guard felt as if it had plastic in non critical areas ad critical areas like oil sump etc had a metal portion.
    1 person likes this.
  5. gurjinder

Punjab
    100 kg is quite drastic and seems unlikely. Till FIAT comes up with official figures or someone puts the two cars (Linea classic+ vs regular Linea (preferably Active variant) ) on a scale, it's hard to say anything.

Yashik, i checked the engine guard of the "regular" Linea when I came back and it too has a plastic portion on the driver side and metal towards the passenger side.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.
  6. nkrishnap

nkrishnap Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    100 kgs is a bit too far fetched unless some components and sheet metal is altered. May be a reduction 20 kgs might have been possible by removing the features, damping material and other stuff. 100 kgs would have been ideal, but what expense?
    1 person likes this.
  7. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    15k in engine + around 3-4kg in armrest and vents + seat metal back 5kg? lol :p

20Kg have surely been lost in above mentioned stuff (75hp engine is 15kg lighter).

Anyways, lets wait for official figures. I hope that FIAT India hasn't reduced weight much except for natural decrease in weight due to above mentioned components.
  8. gurjinder

Punjab
    15kg difference in engine. Sorry Yashik, but even this is hard to stomach. :confused:

FIAT's statistics are confusing to say the least.
    1 person likes this.
  9. PaddleShifter

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Refer to the brochure at FIAT website. They say Punto 75hp emotion weighs 1130Kg and Punto 90hp Emotion weighs 1144Kg.

Punto Sport has an additional chrome exhaust tip so took figures of normal 90hp only. :evilsmile
  10. nishweth

nishweth Amatore

kannur,kerala
    Good review buddy