1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea Classic - Launched

Discussion in 'Fiat India News' started by amogh, Sep 25, 2013.

1. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    If at all Linea classic ends up being used as taxi in large numbers, one positive thing out of it could be the Taxi drivers making sure that Linea mjd loses its so called perception of being sluggish :):)

There are many who do not buy Linea mjd quoting this reason. It will be fun when they see Linea classic taxis zooming past them on the road ;)
    Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
    7 people like this.
  2. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Haha, aptly said shams, any car in cabbies hand, it will be driven as fastest car in cities.
    1 person likes this.
  3. pdash

pdash Regolare

Bangalore
    Mahadevapura
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Cabbies extract so much from indicabs, It will be fun for them with new Linea classic.
  4. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12

Kiran anna the upgrades which you are talking about is too expensive to buy and upgrade Linea Classic, so instead of buying and fitting all these things to Linea classic I would prefer Linea Active/Dynamic.:up
    Linea chrome strips on door & bumpers costs around Rs. 12,000 (if I am not wrong).
    16" Tyres costs around Rs. 7000-8000 per piece so set of 5 = Rs. 35000
    16" aftermarket alloys would cost around Rs. 20,000 (lets not talk about OEM alloys from FIAT it is too expensive Rs. 11,000 to be precise for 16" OEM Alloy)
    Fog Lamps around Rs. 5,000.

So in total around Rs. 70,000 to upgrade Classic to make it premium like Reguler Linea. :confused
  5. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The video of the launch uploaded by FIAT on their YouTube channel

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2013
    2 people like this.
  6. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    There are ways to bring down the expenses if one wants to.

Except for the tyres and rims, the other add-ons are not mandatory IMO. If one is particular about budget, then they can simply install 15" steel rims and Active wheel caps, which would not cost them more than 5-6k. You can exchange the stock tyres and buy 195/60 R15 tyres, which might set you back to 12-16k. So we are looking anywhere between 20 - 22k for this setup.

Going for chrome surrond, fog lamps and 16" alloys and wider rubber depends on one's choice. They can always be added later in installments or completely omitted if one wants to. I know many people have spent a lot for aesthetics which includes me. The additional money I have or about to spend on my Active after the purchase would have bought me an Emotion Pack or a 90HP. Then again, the additional money was spent in parts over 3 years now. Its all about choices we make.

The biggest advantage that I would see in the Linea Classic+ over the regular Linea is the city drivability at the given price point. Ofcourse, highway drive is a different scenario all together, but a 75HP engine can comfortably do 120-140 kmph and can be pushed to 150-170kmph if one wants to. But, how many would do that and how many times can one do that is the big question.

P.S: I said that IF I were to buy a Linea Classic+ and not that I am buying it. Linea Classic+ would cost around 8.75-9 lakhs OTR in Hyd. I would very well go and buy a Punto 90HP (with all bells & whistles) which is 8.75 OTR and with the current discounts would come ~8 lakhs. That would be my choice any day unless I desperately need a 500 ltr boot.
    4 people like this.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The segment the Linea classic is targeted at - I don't think anyone is even going to upgrade the 175 70 14 tires, let alone add thousands of rupees worth of extras. This buyer will not be enticed by the 90hp at all. The 90hp guy is a completley different segment of a buyer.

I don't see any cross-shopping happening between Linea classic and 90hp, in my humble opinion ;)
    2 people like this.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    All that was said above, was in respect to what I would do and my preferences only. I am not generalising it. Not everyone looks at cars the same way. Everyone has their own criteria and preferences. I know many people who look them as small car and big car. :)

To each, his own. ;)
  9. rajks

rajks Amatore

Bangalore
    It would be interesting to see how 75 HP takes the beat of that occasional Hill Climb with 5+ Passengers and with trunk full in the Taxi segment. And few Indi cab guys had told me that they will try to avoid gear down shifts as much in order to achieve fuel efficiency.

When Classic enters into Taxi segment it will be a stress test for the platform as a whole, as most us treat our cars with care and the same cannot be expected with all commercial drivers.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    It'll be just fine. Though I have not driven it, but if the Punto 76hp is anything to go by, the Classic will do just fine.

The 93hp Linea also needs to be kept on the boil to make progress in uphill sections.

Though I don't agree with the "classic = taxi segment" argument, most taxi owners who own the car themselves treat the car as well/better than us private owners. The ones who merely drive taxi's owned by others don't treat the car with the same care, in general.

Cheers.
    1 person likes this.