1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

LINEA 5th SERVICE (60000kms)

Discussion in 'Pre service query' started by ROSHINLAL, Apr 11, 2011.

1. ROSHINLAL

ROSHINLAL

Kollam
    My linea mjd is given for 5th service.They are telling its time to change the brakepad and surprisingly rotor also:(.:eek:.Friends pls sugesst when i had given the car 4 a check up last month they told it will run another 1000 kms with the brakepad,but the rotor has to be changed,somee grooves are there in it seems.I had no problems with the braking of the car till now.And what I heard is that when the brakepad wornsout and getting contact with the rotor then it creates probs with the rotor,and they told no probs with the pad but probs with the rotor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! What to do??? And one more thing they told this is a major service all the belts has to be changed and it will cost around Rs.17000.Friends please anyone who completed this service suggest me.
  2. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
  3. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Are your brake pads worn out completely? If it was worn out completely the metal would have brushed against the rotor and rotor might have been damaged. I have heard that the rotor can be repaired in a lathe. Inspect the rotor and see
  4. ROSHINLAL

ROSHINLAL

Kollam
    Not worn out completely and they told me last month when I went for a checkup that the brake pad will run 1000 more kms but the rotor is damaged!!!! and if we are installing new brake pads on this rotor it will not function properly.As such there was no problems with my braking efficiency
  5. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    @Roshinlal - are you saying that this is the first time you are changing the brake pads? That's a lot of km you have managed with those pads mate.

If your brake pads are completely worn out, your braking ability will infact be at its best. Strange, but true! Why you need brake pads then? It is to ensure the long life of the brake discs. I compare this with boxing gloves... The gloves cushion the impact to the opponents face but the maximum impact you can have is with your bare hands. The gloves in that sense is only to protect your fist and the opponents face :) hope you got the point !

In your case, the brake pads have outlived themselves and have started damaging the discs. The process of reviving the discs to remove the grooves or unevenness is called skimming. It can give you some more miles with the same discs without replacing them. But, its advisable to replace with new ones at 60000km.

regarding belts , the timing belt is surely to be checked and changed at 60000km but you can go upto 4 years with the same normally. Since its just about Rs.800. for the Linea timing belt, you might as well change it.

Sent from my Nexus One using Tapatalk
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  6. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am surprised if you have not changed your brake pads yet, mine was worn out completely (no trace of rubber compound) for the 30k service. A few of the TFIians have changed it for 20k at well. If that is the case there is no surprise your rotor needs to be changed, the brake pad was long worn out. Rotor polishing will be done at the lathe, take your car to the next door workshop and get it done yourself else they might charge your for a new one. 17k estimate seems a bit on the higher side, someone here recently did the 60k service for 14k. From Kollam if you go to TVM for service then try at Mohandas and Kulathungal, both are equally good in servicing, you can get a 2nd opinion as well.
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  7. ROSHINLAL

ROSHINLAL

Kollam
    Friends Thank you for support.Got my car serviced yesterday.The total cost was Rs.16,676.Will give u the details of the billing later.And friends its the second time I am changing the brake pad.First change was when the car clocked 25000kms.The timing belt also got changed at 52000kms due to some creaking sound.Any way the car has become butter smooth after the service:).The only unwanted thing happened was that while fixing the rear quarter glass beeding they poured quickfix on the body:(
    1 person likes this.
  8. soccerfan

soccerfan Regolare

Kochi
    Great to hear that. Please put a scanned copy of the bill/ take a picture of the bill and upload. Where did you get the car serviced?
  9. varin11

varin11 Superiore

Mumbai
    Bombay
    Linea 1.3
    My car has clocked 51000 Kms and have changed the front pads when done 41000 kms. u dont have to change all the belts unless there is problems, its just timing at 60000 kms.
  10. kvk

kvk Amatore

Bangalore
    Your brake pads have served well. My car pads were changed during the 30000kms service

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk