1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea 1.3 MJD EP Tuscan Wine

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 22, 2010.

1. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    A few minutes after I entered Kerala, a maddened bus driver who was coming around 60-70 kms on a very bad road filled with potholes and gutter came overtaking another vehicle and hit the back of my car. It brushed past the right hand rear side of the door and bumper with a loud thud leaving a small (not noticeable) dent and lots of scratches :(. I was on the edge of the road and there was hardly any space left for me and he came so quickly that he lost his control and hit my car. My brother was driving at that point. He immediately stopped the car, opened the door stretched his head out of the car and looked and turned back to me with a face which looked Shocked/Sad/Horrified....dunno what was that expression. He got out of the car and ran out and stopped the bus by calling out. I didnt move from my seat. I was shell shocked and didnt want to see the damage. I sat there inside the car for a while and got out only when there was a crowd. I thought the complete back side of my car is gone. That was the impact and sound. But when I came out and looked at the damage, I smiled inside though I wanted to cry. Later when we cleaned the area, most of the marks were gone coz that was the paint from the bus. The TASS told me that it will cose around 6k. No the bus people didnt give any compensation. So we took him to the nearest police station and launched a complaint. Their entire trip for the rest of the day was cancelled.

I vouch the build quality of Linea. The dent and scratches are not noticeable in this photo. I will upload the scratch pics later.
  2. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Great photos. Sad to hear about the dent and scratches. Even my parked car was hit there by a bus on other side of car.
    I change gears very frequently according to speed and rpm of car so don't know much on this problem but if speed is above 10 the car automatically speeds up and touches approx 20 km/hr without giving accelerator input.

Climbing up a steep is not a problem. Car climbs without any problem in 2nd gear. ( I guess you still haven't got used to clutch of Linea, car starts moving at the end of clutch release unlike jap cars which moves after releasing 40-50% clutch) After driving Linea for sometime when I drive M800 I stall it many times a day.

I have made couple of visits to hilly areas and car didn't complain climbing up hill. Most of the times I was in 3 & 4 gears. 1st was used only when starting from dead stops and 2nd only on approx 65-70 degree incline.
  3. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    So Vijay what driving pattern you suggest on hilly area. I had been to Coorg in karnataka which is a hilly area. That was the first time i started experiencing this pulling issue. Some times the car refused to climb even in first gear. I havent experienced this with any other car I drove. But true when the engine picks up momentum and the turbo kicks in, the scene changes but we cant push it to that band always, especially in an urban environment. Especially in a place like Bangalore notorious for its traffic congestions.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    hi. i wont say its lack of driving experience but its just learning the are of driving a linea as i said earlier. in 1st gear i bet the car will climb even 60 degrees incline. the clutch travel is very lengthy and simultaneously you need to press the accelerator to raise the rpms above 1200 atleast. its very difficult to describe in words but practice is important.
  5. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    Ok i will practise it for sure. In fact i started changing my driving pattern to get adjusted with Linea. The last time i drove her i felt a difference though. :)
  6. viveksonkhla

viveksonkhla Amatore

Noida, India
    NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @ pammuluvcars : The problem you faced while driving your car through Hills is nothing new.....and it happens to everyone who is not used to driving in Hill terrain. The problem is lack of practice ...... and timing. While starting your car from standstill in a uphill drive.... you need to Release your break....Press your accelerator and release your clutch in perfect harmony....or else....the car wouldn't move.....the engine will stall at very high rev....or worse you will burn out your clutch plates.

Here is what you should try while going uphill:

1. Start the engine...with your feet firmly on clutch and break.
    2. Release the clutch to 50%
    3. Release the break and start pressing the accelerator the moment you take your foot off the break. Remember : don't stomp on the accelerator as it will only cause more fuel to enter combustion chambers and you may rev your engine too high or at worst fry your clutch plates.
    4. At one moment you will feel your car holding on to the incline all by itself without you pressing the break. Though at times the vehicle may lurch backward ...this scares people and they tend to press the accelerator harder or go hunting for the break pedal. Don't be scared and carry on to the next step. Majority of people stall their car at step 4.

5. Continue to press the accelerator while releasing the clutch completely......and vehicle will pull forward at your desired speed.

Edit: Yes!!!!! hand breaks.... thanks Vijay: these can be a good stop gap arrangement till the time your feet get trained to pull of the trick.

Damn ...... writing this is more difficult than doing it in real..

Hope this helps.
  7. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    pammuluvcars as you would drive the linea more you would learn more about its driving characteristics which are diff from other cars.
    As you have been driving for 18 years you have got used to small clutch play in other cars. VW and Fiat cars have long clutch play.
    nice tricks vivek. I would suggest using handbrake instead of foot brake it gives better control.
    Also try holding the car on an incline by using clutch it would help you to understand clutch play of linea better.
  8. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    @ Viveksonkhla : Thank you very much for the detailed description. But that was not at all what I was trying to say here. Those tricks i learnt even before I got my license ::D ( I started driving at 17) hehehe....

I have driven in ghat terrains many a times. The coorg hill was not at all a hilly terrain compared the ones i had been to in the past.

Well its not from a stand still vivek, ok here ....let me describe

I am moving driving on ...say 3rd gear, on a slope (upward) the car is full at this time (4 adults)....am losing momentum so i immediately downshift to 2nd....the car moves but start to crawl but the slope is over and getting on to an almost plain surface, but still the car wont pick up momentum it is crawling.....then immediately i downshift to 1st gear and still the car crawls for some more time....means it moves on very slow speed say a km/hr something like that.....then suddenly it starts to pick up speed.....it happened quite few times during my initial days. I suspect it was adulterated fuel. No idea. Anyway I have started "learning driving" again.....
  9. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    pammuluvcars this should not be happening. There is something wrong with your car. Get the car checked at ASS.
    Do you feel like car is grasping for air. It could be an leaking airbox or dirty airfilter.
    I suspect it to be a bent airfilter box cover (bent due to overtightening screws of cover by ASS).
  10. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    But it is only two months old now vijay. and the 3k service was done just few weeks ago only. It can happen like that? Anyways i will observe for some more time. I will most probably be going on a Hill station trip in feb (team fiat meet :) ). At that time i will monitor all these items closely. after that i will come to a conclusion. How can i determine myself whether the airfilter cover is bent or not? Is it visible when i open the hood?