1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Linea 1.3 MJD EP Tuscan Wine

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by pammuluvcars, Nov 22, 2010.

1. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    this forum is not active?

Is this thread inactive?
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2011
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    what do u mean by that.... This Forum is not active, Is this thread inactive??

Cal you please explain :)
  3. This thread has started giving me shivers. I am a prospective buyer and paid the booking amount yesterday. I had read about Linea being underpowered however never felt it in TD (flat road). Is this seriously the case on hill road? I have been going through this forum for ~2 weeks and this forum boosted my confidence to buy Linea. I have started worrying a bit. I don't mind paying penalty and opting out of the deal.
    I have been following this on my existing swift (Petrol). I guess I am lucky as this was taught to me by the car trainer. I know this works as I use it all the time. I have even taught the same to many of my friends who have a habit of pressing accel hard once the car moves back. Just to add-on... when you release the clutch slowly, there is a time/clutch position when the car remains stand still on a slope even without brake and accel. You then slowly press the accel and release clutch to move forward. I had practiced this during my training time and since then using it (6 yrs now). There is a slight vibration felt during the clutch position I talked about (Petrol).
    This is one more thing which I follow quiet regularly on my trip between Mumbai <-> Pune and in the Lonavala ghat section. Most of the truck drivers slow you down in the ghat and you lose momentum. I skip one gear and go from 5-3 based on the speed. This is one more trick I had learned from the same trainer:). Though he officially didn't teach me, I saw him doing that while he was driving. Till that time I thought that you cannot skip gears and I still feel that there are thousands of drivers who feel the same.
    So guys I need your honest advice about going forward with my decision. I have paid 50K as booking amount.
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  4. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Chandigarh
    Grande Punto 1.3
  5. pammuluvcars

pammuluvcars Regolare

IN
    @sly.cooper: Linea MJD is definitely an awesome car, but on the other hand IT IS underpowered. It has very solid body, meaning the steel is heavy and the engine is only 1.3. Linea is not the first car with Turbo and no other car with a turbo needs this "special" driving techniques. Swift, Dzire, Manza....all are using the same engine. Recently I drove the SX4 diesel. It is the same configuration, but far beyond Linea in capacity. There is no lag and the engine is swift in action. Again I repeat, I am not talking about the Power, but the response....throttle response........the response from the engine.....translating power into momentum....thats is definitely inferior in Linea. But again, looks wise and comfort wise it is one among the best. Very comfortable car. Suspension is awesome though the low GC makes the car crawl (licking the ground) many a times. The nose of the car is too long and you need to be extra careful while driving on bumps, where there is an abrupt raise on the plain...such as a ramp which comes down steep and then climbs to a bump before it takes you on a plain surface. If i learnt that i will have to "learn"driving again 18 years later to drive a special car with special turbo.....I would have definitely opted out. I still love my Linea. She is a stunning beauty. Just watching her itself is a pleasure......

I strongly suggest you to go for another TD on a hilly terrain if possible. You can demand the Sales guy for another TD. Mostly the TD vehicles will be fine tuned so you may not find any lag in a TD vehicle. You take the car on a hilly road or a place where there is a steep climb.....just drive the car as u drive any other car....no techniques......

Why dont you consider the Fluidic Verna, which is 1.6 ltr, the mid variant comes with almost all features of Top end Linea for almost same price.
    Good luck....
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2011
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    @pammu.

To say that no car with a turbo needs ''special treatment'' is far from the truth.

To put it in perspective, all and most turbo cars experience lag. I've been driving a Toyota 2400cc Turbodiesel engined car for the past 8 years and i know how these engines behave.

The turbo lag in a Swift diesel is gargantuan. There is absolutely nothing till 2100 rpm, then suddenly a kick, which leads people to falsely believe that its faster than the Linea. Try driving Swift D in city. You'll know what turbo lag really means.
    The Figo's turbo is suited for the city and behaves harshly at higher revs.

The Linea has aprogressive power delivery, which makes everyone believe its slow.

In gear acceleration figures are where the Linea shines.

And we are not saying you need to learn driving. But we all need to learn to adapt to new cars.
    If i keep driving Linea like our old M800,then definitely the fault will be mine.

And no, the dealers TD cars are not be ''fine tuned''. Please do not pass around unconfirmed gossip as facts on the forum.

Gurjinder.
  7. @pammuluvcars -
    Linea and New Verna mid variant is not at the same price. The mid variant 1.6 SX is 1.15 L costlier than Linea and the delivery time is 3 months.

Surprisingly my wife too drove the same vehicle on the way back and even she did not complain. That was the first time when she drove a diesel vehicle. I have almost made up my mind to get this beauty. I will be going for TD tomorrow on the hill side.
  8. jayadev

jayadev Esperto

Kannur, India
    Kannur
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    if i get an option to buy one more car i would go for punto90hp maybe red this time. i hope linea and punto 90hp shares same transmission and engine.when it comes to sedate driving no car is as good as p90hp. and if rev hard again it beats any other car. yet it is not a racer car. racer inside would be disappointed.

it is in the intermediate stages where fiat cars shows lack of enthusiasm and that too if one does not follow the way engine is providing the power. which hold true for even basic machines like screwdriver. to remove or fix a screw it is not learning but a knack. if one doesn't do it with required knack you end up with sore fingers or broken parts.

i can keep on talking about good feelings it gives when driven at 70-80kmph. rarely any diesel car gives such high standard of comfort and nvh.
    underpowered , lack of throttle response etc sounds like a hoax to me, maybe comparatively it does have plus or minus side .but nothing to be considered for an individual owner. i cannot imagine about an owner who consciously buy linea and sell it off due to lack of power or perfomance.
    try revving it to 2500+ and push the accelerator ,anybody ?

the engine in fiat car is such beautifully tuned that low end torque is well maintained so one can drive at <40kmph in 5th gear and it wouldn't stall or knock, which car has such quality? the benefit of such tuning is you wont get stuck in slippery road,huge railway bumps or inclination.
    i am very sure those cars which provide surge of power beyond 2k rpm will definitely suffer lot of drive ability issues in slow speed.
    i have seen a video in you tube where i20 was struggling in muddy road where most of the cars rolled out like butter. and it is theoretically true and expected from i20 for its weird power delivery.
    we indians cant afford everything in abundant so we need bit of that ,bit of this and a bit or those; bit of extra power, bit of comfort,bit of safety all under vfm category.so whoever is throwing such bits and bytes in alluring ways, all run towards it.

ps:may be i am wrong or my perceptions were wrong , yet i am honest.
  9. I am back with actual experience of driving on hilly road :cool:. I am a proud owner of Linea MJD now. I tried to test the above mentioned condition on my way back from Mumbai -> Pune and in the Lonavala (ghat) section. I purposely slowed down on climb while I was in 4th or 5th gear at ~50-70 Km speed and RPM at ~ 1000. I could easily get into the speed with 2nd or 3rd gear. Sometimes I had to down shift 2 gears (direct jump) based on the speed however no stalling at all. I had done that few times. I must say that I was amazed with the ease by which I drove today in Lonavala. It was fun seeing cars vanishing in rear view mirror :dancing. I had struggled to keep the momentum with my swift vxi however with Linea, I enjoyed every km of the drive. I am yet to start my ownership thread where I will talk about my overall experience soon.
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    thats great sly.cooper awaiting for your ownership thread.