1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Line Emotion 2009 Spare Key Lost - Urgent help needed.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rajib Ghosh, Aug 30, 2015.

1. Rajib Ghosh

Rajib Ghosh Timido

Kolkata
    Linea 1.4
    URGENT HELP REQUIRED!

Hello Friends,

I'm new to the community -- need a urgent help/suggestion.

I have recently purchased a Fiat Linea Emotion 1.4 Pack from a car dealer. The car is dated 2009 and is well kept at 22,000 KMs. After I have done the booking and advance amount paid the dealer told me that the duplicate key is not available with him and can be made from local key shops that he will recommend.

After a bit of research on duplicate keys I came to know about engine immobilizer and how FIAT provided key has a unique code that is programmed into the cars EMS computer. Any unauthorized entry would cut off the engine.

Since I have made the booking amount it will be forfeited if i cancel the booking now.

For me this is also a security concern as I don't know where or with whom the other key is.

My only option is to approach FIAT and ask for a new pair of keys, for which FIAT will ask for the original security code provided to the first buyer of the car,and that the dealer does not have.

Please suggest me what is to be done here. I can not can cell the booking, but I'm ready to spend some money on replacing the entire key/locking system

Many Thanks in advance
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Rajib,

The dealer is to be handled with care. Have you paid in full? If not, wait till you are all clear.
    First, duplicate key from local shop is of no use. As you already know, the original comes with immobilizer and the local will be without immobilizer.
    Second, you can get a new extra key from FIAT and then pair it with the car. But, for that you need the original machine code of the key. [extra key is approx 5K]
    If you could do such a pairing, the currently missing spare is key is of no use.

The dealer is really playing here.

If you write to FIAT, they will be able to find the key code and issue a spare key for you.

Why are you going for a 2009 car???? How much you are paying? How much you have already paid???
  3. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I am pretty sure dealer is hiding something from you. Don't buy a car which is not having important information like key security code. In any case it is dealer's responsibility to change the keys to a new set. It is a very valid reason to walk out of the deal and ask for full refund if the dealer is not willing to replace the keys. Also, you should do a thorough check of the car from an independent competent mechanic to ensure dealer has not hiding more hanky-panky with the car. Proceed very carefully.
  4. Rajib Ghosh

Rajib Ghosh Timido

Kolkata
    Linea 1.4
    Dear Friends,

Thank you very much for the prompt response.

I have cancelled the deal, as the dealer was not able provide neither the key code nor the duplicate set of keys from the original owner. Moreover I was disappointed when I asked to check the cars previous papers, like insurance and service log book and owners manual which they said are not available.

I called up FIAT and told them the whole scenario. They suggested that if I'm going for the car I should anyways get a new pair of keys for obvious security reasons, but for that they would need the purchase bill, and key card form the original owner. In another forum I have read that FIAT may even ask for an court affidavit as a proof of ownership.

Even I was apprehensive about the incredibly low price of the car, though it was very well maintained and previous ownership was with a reputed company. The hassles that I were to go through would have been many folds more than the benefits of the low price.

Once again, thank you very much and pleasure to be part of TEAM fiat (at least for some time.)
    :)
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Is your deposit if any refunded or you are letting it go.

Also the dealer must take responsibility to clone the key (non remote duplicate key). So incase you are changing mind you need a delivery note and some formal declaration from dealer or best to ask him to arrange transfer and hand over payorder / DD.

It is not uncommon for used car dealers to not have Code card or Manuals or original purchase documents.

In these cases, the transfer forms can be verified for tracing original owner. If dealer is honest he could oblige.

Anyways, as you said its becoming a hassle..
    prabhjot likes this.
  6. Rajib Ghosh

Rajib Ghosh Timido

Kolkata
    Linea 1.4
    Hello asimpleson

Yesterday he said he'll have a talk with the company which is owning the car and check if they have the spare key. He told me to wait for a day and then decide. As expected it has a negative answer from the previous owner.

When I found the car on a used car portal and it was listed at much lower than the average price of a used Linea Emotion Pack 1.4 petrol for my City. I called up the dealer and they told me car is still available. The very next day the price on the portal was reduced by 25K. A week later on 29th Aug, I went on to the dealers store to inspect the car and found it to be in immaculate condition. all electronics working, battery in perfect order, no unexpected noise from engine, except a very low squealing of a rotating belt. No major scratches, dents on the body. Tyres were in excellent condition for a 2009, 22K km run vehicle and the spare was unused. The battery was new and dated 2013. The existing key is worn off and even the remote sometimes becomes unresponsive. It seemed a deal too sweet to be true, which also raised the alarms.

Nevertheless I paid the booking amount on the same day and was supposed to take the delivery on 6th Sept. After the formalities were done I asked for the spare key and the service log and came to know that neither are available. Still I was happy (apparently) with the deal, but had a along agonizing night thinking over it.

Next day I called up FIAT and told them about the issue. They asked for the cars number and told me the service history and how a new set of keys maybe obtained and also the cost. around 12K, provided all documents are in order. I was ready to spend the amount.

The car was in for service thrice till 2012 and there is no service record after that. The funny thing is the last odometer reading as per the service center was 22016 and when I inspected the car its was only 22081. The FIAT guys cautioned me about a possible tampering.

Before walking out of the deal even I expected that part of booking amount (or whole) will be forfeited. Much to my surprise the dealer himself said he'll give a full refund, I didn't have to ask him for that. Moreover at every conversation he was getting more irritated as I asked for the old insurance papers (just a copy) as I'd be getting a new one done. He insisted that he is not obliged to show such documents and its my wish whether to proceed with the deal or cancel it, but he will not arrange a spare key as its not his responsibility. At best he can refer me to a local key-smith who he claimed is capable of making any remote/computerized key.

I would't have been so harsh on the decision, but what I did not like was the arrogance and the fact that the missing key was hidden from my knowledge (and I'll never know what else is...) till I paid the booking amount and signed on the receipt.

Not sure whether I missed a good opportunity and whether I have been too apprehensive. For me I'll always prefer to pay a premium for peace of mind, which if I'm sure I wouldn't have had, had I taken ownership of the car. And that itself violated the very purpose of driving a FIAT Linea. :)
    PradeepM and prabhjot like this.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @Rajib Ghosh, the fact that he refunded token makes him look genuine. A very recent experience of another TFIan has not been good as far as token for used vehicle goes. In that case the deal as per some opinions was more shady and involved lot more amount to buy.

Anyways, if you are not sure then better to step away than to repent later.

Time to look for a Tjet. ;)
    PradeepM likes this.