1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Lighting upgrade for Linea

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by ramjn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ok. Now, I am somewhat clear about it. So, what you mean is D2S bulb will be more like a low beam right? Now that we have double barrel in Linea, I will have to replace the current reflectors with the HID projectors right? and the High beam reflector will remain as is but the light will again be driven from the bi-xenon or whatever you are talking about. Am I right?
  2. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The p8 is the closest set of genuine HID's to the philips and is around 1.5k cheaper and has 1 yr warranty as compared philips which has 6 months warranty.
    The philips range starts from 6000k and the P8 starts from 4300k, overall I would opt for philips at 9k, but if price is a concern then P8 makes alot of sense.

One needs to drill 4 holes into the reflector and fix and align the projector and its done. But aligning and getting it spot on is the biggest difficulty as, if the holes are drilled even by a mm here/there then its all over.

D2S is the bulb like any other h1/h4/h7, its a simple bulb that lights up and the high beam/low beam part is done by the projector. When the shield in the projector is UP then its at low beam and when the shield is DOWN its switchs to high beam.

You don have to replace anything, everything is fitted straight onto the headlamp assembly, 4 holes will be drilled in your reflector and the projector will be fixed and then covered by the shroud and then the angel eyes will be stuck to the shroud and ur headlamps ready.
    So now when u switch on the headlamps the projector will light up as normal(in low beam) and when you switch to high beam the high beam along with the projector will light up(projector in high beam mode now).
    So basically instead of having a reflector for low beam and another for high beam, u will now have a projector for high/low beam + the existing high beam reflector.
    1 person likes this.
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks phew. You are a master in HID :).
    Another question. When I retain the existing high beam reflector, what about the bulbs? Is it the existing stock setup or driven by the HID setup?

Is most of the projector kits universal? There won't be any specific projector kit for Linea right?
    What do think about these guys? Did you check this - http://www.tdlhid.tk/. They give 1 year warranty.
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
  4. Few months ago I upgraded lightning setup of my Linea.I upgraded to Philips HID H1 and for H7 I installed Philips Crystal Vision(parking lights came free) which are almost white colour though one can easily recognize the difference between the two setups (HID and Crystal Vision).
    The performance after this setup is great and till now there has been no blackening of reflectors (using it for almost 7 months)

Cost: HID H1 : Rs 8.5k
    Crystal Vision H7 : Rs 900
  5. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore

projector lamps are different and HID lights are different.

projectors also come without HID bulbs inside them. ex my friends skoda laura elegance.
    how do you know??? when you switch the head light on it switches on like normal halogen lamp. unlike a HID it does not need time to get heated for its maximum lighting.

fixing just the HID lights is an easy job. i had them for my high beams. ansal11 has H7 HIDs for his low beams right now.

what i'm saying is projector lamps are not readily available for linea. the head lamp cluster has to be opened and the projector lamp has to be fixed
  6. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Ram

Stock bulbs go into ur drawer as now u will have

High beam slot - HID/halogen(ur choice)
    Low beam slot - projector with D2S bulb.

Ur setup will be exactly like in skoda laura/superb, except their projectors are xenon and your's would be bi-xenon.

yes projectors are universal and not car specific.
    I have pmed u a site check that for understanding further
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    2 people like this.
  7. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore

yes projector lamps are bi xenon lamps.
  8. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Jaya:

Who said projector lamps and HID's are the same??? ofcourse projectors come without bulbs, its ur choice you want halogens or d2s bulbs in it, and its not necesory that a HID needs time to heat up, the philips d2s lights upto full strength in an instant just as you turn it ON, which I think is more or less equal to the time a normal halogen would take to light up. projectors can also be xenon and not just bi-xenon, one can notice that in a laura/superb.

Yes projector setups are not available for linea, retro fitting is the only option
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Ok. One more question. Whats the difference between Xenon and Bi-Xenon?
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    if the hids take time to light up , how can i flash the light to upcoming traffic?