1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Lighting upgrade for Linea

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by ramjn, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I have changed the stock bulbs in my Linea to Osram NB+. Still, I feel the light is not adequate for the night driving. During rain, NB+ is absolutely useless. Stock bulbs would have been better. Now, thinking about the lighting upgrade, what options do I have?

1. Change to 90/100.
    2. HID
    3. HID with angel eyes and projectors.

I need suggestion from you guys and any pointers or relevant info will help me immensely :)
  2. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
    Ansal11 just upgraded lights on his TJet. I believe he or Phew can provide more valuable comments - PM them
  3. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Thanks SpeedJet. I have PM'ed both of them. Let me wait for the update.
  4. jayakrishnakola

jayakrishnakola Regolare

Bangalore
    i have used HIDs before on my linea, the exessive heat caused by them tends to blacken the head lamp cluster on prolonged usage. as soon as i found this i changed to osram night brakers for low beam and osram night breaker+ for the high beam.

the result is very good. i would suggest you to do the same. But if you are a highway rider i will give you an idea.

usually when the head lamps are focused and aligned in the service station( using the headlamp leveling screws on the either side of the headlamp cluster behind the domes), they do it in such a way that the light beams meet the guide lines on the wall where they focus the lights. this process is done while keeping the head lamp leveler inside the car at the highest position so as to not make it difficult for oncoming traffic. the idea is that you can ask them to set the focus level while keeping the headlamp leveler inside the car at the lowest position. in this way you can use the car in the city by setting the leveler low and on the highway you can just lift the beams by setting it from within the car itself.

plz dont go for philips H1 100w for high beams and philips h7 80 w for low beams. they produce more heat than HIDs. the result will be blackened headlamp cluster and the plastic holder for the bulb also melts. happened in my palio before.
    3 people like this.
  5. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Option 1.
    cheapest and probably the least effective, gains are seem but nothing more than 10-15%

Option 2.
    Expensive but an equally effective solution, you get what you pay for. try to get 4300k/5000k bulbs, they will offer superior visibility as compared to the usual 6000K during rain and fog, but nothing can beat 3000K in terms of visibility. The quality of the reflector in fiat's is not good and looses the reflective nature and start to fade away/turn black like jayakrishnakola has mentioned. Costs 5K-9K (estimate).

Option 3.
    Perhaps the best and effective solution but very expensive. Light spread and throw are unmatched and well worth the money. Chinese ones are available(4K-10K) but are not worth it, the light throw and spread are below average. The genuine ones cost around 20K atleast and are a one time investment. If one has the money then this is the best solution.

Here's a pic to see the difference in shade's of 3000k and 6000k bulbs

1b3c71df-756f-6816.jpg
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2011
    3 people like this.
  6. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    dont the HID provide less heat then the halogens?
  7. Phew

Phew Esperto

New Delhi/Mohali
    FASS
    Grande Punto 1.3
    chinese ones dont, but philips is certainly cooler, but the reflector is made to go with the stock halogens and not HID's hence they fade away quick
  8. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    hi ramjan i would suggest you to go with option 3 buy a whole projector setup and get them retro fitted in ur headlights, you can always buy a spare headlight and keep them with you in any case.
    i got FXR clear lens projectors in my 1.3 MJD PUNTO, as i used to night drive a lot and believe me they are worth every penny, there is no value of feeling safe and able to see everything on highway roads while driving.
    1 person likes this.
  9. ramjn

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Tarun, I am a novice on lighting. Can you please throw more light on that setup? What is that FXR clear lens projectors? Is that available for Linea too? How much does it cost?
  10. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    Being Novice bro + 1 to that, well i am a Novice too :) ..
    i just shared my experience with you, i had my problem of not being able to drive with confidence in night and our fellow tfi member MR. phew A.K.A killer paaji helped me and i got my projectors through him.
    you should ask him instead, he won't mind even if you suck hez brains out :p lol