1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Life of Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by shikhar10882, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Looking at the variability in the stock tyre life... I am rethinking about the quality standardization on them by Fiat / Goodyear.
    I am still waiting for someone to comment on my doubt of Yamnua Expressway drives as the possible culprits.

@varoon9999 : looked and asked for 3D Alignment shops in my vicinity, could find none other the MRF Shoppes...
    The search continues... If you know of any, please share.. (I am in Ghaziabad)!!
  2. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
    Linea T-Jet
    Hi Shikhar!

Our Jet too has excessive tyre wear. She turns two today, and has covered 15000 km. About 80% of the distance has been covered on highways. Don't know what's the reason.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
    tps11 likes this.
  3. nkapoor777

nkapoor777 Regolare

New Delhi
    AFAIK ansal11's jet has run over 40k on the stock NCT5's. I am sure the excessive wear can't be due to a 500 km round trip on the Yamuna expressway. My Jet is now close to 10k and I don't notice excessive wear at all. Granted these aren't the best tyres available out there, but then every company cuts costs by putting in cheap tyres on new cars.

And my Punto MJD ran for 46k kms on the stock Goodyear GT3's before one tyre went bust which prompted me to change all four. There was still some life left in them (5-7k kms).

@Prakhar: May the force be with you - JFT96!! From a United fan!
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2013
    2 people like this.
  4. theblack

theblack Esperto

unless your the sort who likes to drive rough with tyre squeals and drifts 10k is just too less for tyres to fade away.
    As many here even I"m suspecting an alignment / balancing problem .

Get them checked with at least 2-3 alignment shops to get a clear picture.
    Are you sure there are no suspension issues?
  5. Surya

Surya Superiore

Namma Bengaluru
    i could not believe at the worn out stock tyres from absal's punto which was hardly 6 months old and 15k on the odo, the tyre shop fellow told that the life of a tyre could be anywhere from 40 -45K and this would have run more than 45k
  6. I have a similar usage pattern!!! Out of 11k kms that my jet covered in past 1 year, 7.8k have been on highway... that includes one drive down to mumbai and back of 3k... and rest 5k on Agra - Delhi!!!

ansal11 has been creating benchmarks since I have started following him... First that of FE... and then I went through his tread where he was discussing the alternate tires!!! Just a small pointer... the run on Yamuna Expressway is not 500 kms... but 10 trips of 500 kms.. resulting into 5000 kms.

:eek:fftopic really guilty of noticing the thread of delhi meet late... so could not make it.. will try to make it the next time any such plan is made... you made it??

I would not rather picture myself as the kind of driver you mentioned here... An ecodrive score of avg 75 may support my statement. I am more of a cruiser.. and my average speed.. even on Yamnuna Expressway hovers in the range of 90-100.
    (Have even got a beating from speed_jet and nkapoor for the same, saying that in this race for achieving better FE, i am compromising on the possibility of fun that I can get from this car).
    And that is the reason that I am concerned even more about the tyres...

Here is another input for you and nkapoor - finally found a shop who did 3D alignment and the alignment passed with flying colors... everything in green zone.. now.. this alignment has been confirmed by 3 shops + the fact that the wear is even throughout the threads.

Even I am looking around .. collecting more information... let's see what is concluded...

I guess this is the time that the pictures did the talking...
    Them I am uploading of the two most worn out tyres.. which, with rotation, I have shifted to back...
    Please give your opinion on if I am being over concerned / hyper... or this point does need some attention...
    These are pictures of tyres run 11k kms....

20130415_153759.jpg 20130415_153730.jpg 20130415_153738.jpg
  7. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    From pictures its very difficult to say how much is worn out. Do you have any similar pictures of new tyres?

Just keep an eye and keep measuring tread depth after each 3-4 K.
  8. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    The tyre wear on our Jet is exactly the same as yours. Here's the pic of the front left tyre, clicked moments ago.

From a casual glance, all tyres appear to be evenly worn. They were rotated during the third service, which was done on 13th.

Sent from my MZ601 using Tapatalk 2
  9. I was fearing the same, as the brightness and contrast level of the image changes the impression of the wearing.

Unfortunately, not any more, as the new Tyre, which was the spare Tyre was installed in front during the tyre rotation last time, about 1000 kms back.

Was planning to do that, but could not find any wear indicator on tyre or other yardstick to measure this correctly. Any guidance on how to do that rightly will be highly appreciated.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Ha.. ha.. ha... Even i clicked mine a some 10 mins before i posted... went to office parking and clicked the same....
    The advantage you have is of some 5k extra run against mine...
    Even mine are evenly worn... throughout the surface and on all 4... except for the one which i recently got installed in my recent most rotation done about 1k kms earlier..
  10. prakhar_lfc

prakhar_lfc Superiore

Linea T-Jet
    This is the pic of the spare tyre, which has never been used. The difference in the thread of the spare and used tyres is clearly visible.