1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Life of Stock Tyres

Discussion in 'Tyres & Alloys' started by shikhar10882, Apr 14, 2013.

1. Well. .. I am seeking some expert pinions here... My Jet came with Eagle NCT 5 Goodyear shoes last year. .. the 205 55 R16 size (which most of you would already know)!
    In last one year, she had ran about 11k kms in those shoes, including one drive of Ghaziabad - Agra - Jaipur - Udaipur - Ahamdabad - Vadodra - Mumbai and back through the same route and about 2.5 - 3 k kms run on Yamuna Expressway.
    Now, when I was recently at one of the tyre shop for getting the alignment done, they observed that the tires were more than 50% worn out.
    And to be honest, even I feel that they are loosing their tread pretty fast.
    Now, the guidance I seek here is:
    1. Is it normal?
    2. If it needs to be checked, where should I get it checked? (I reside in Ghaziabad)
    3. With this rate, it seems that next year, when she will be 20k kms young, I'd be looking for a set of new shoes for her - any recommendations?
    Please help!
  2. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Shikhar,how much your car has run till day??
  3. 10.6k to be exact (11k rounded off, as I mentioned in the opening post)!!! I am really doubting the cavity structure of Yamuna Expressway to be the culprit!!!
  4. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    That is too less for a tire to fade off treads.I am suspecting something wrong with your alignment here.
  5. punto_emotion

punto_emotion Esperto

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    shikhar, me too facing almost similar situation with GT3. During initial 3-5k kms, I was shocked to see the tyre wear pattern. After that I ditched TASS for alignment job and getting it done from reputed tyre shop. Am following tyre rotation policy every 5k kms. Post this change, noticed that tyre wear some what stabilized. My Punto's odo as of now stands at @ 13k kms. Even am not expecting beyond 20-25k kms from the stock tyres looking at the condition. Anything beyond 25k kms, I shall consider as a bonus.
  6. I thought that too in the first go.. but some facts that countered my belief of alignment being the culprit:
    1. The wear is uniform throughout the surface of the tires.
    2. The tires are evenly worn but for the right rear, which was highest worn out and has been, therefore, put as the spare tyre, and the spare one has been brought to front and some rotation has accordingly taken place.
    3. The car has been checked for alignment twice, and both times at different and trusted places (MRF Tyre zones) and found to be minimal error in alignment.
    With the above facts, what would you advise I do?
    Also, was going through Buy P 205/55R 16 91V Size Goodyear EAGLE NCT 5 Tubeless Tyre :: ChangeMyTyre.com, which said similar thing about the NCT 5...

:eek:fftopic
    Did you make it to the meet???
    I noticed the information about the meet too late (4:45pm on saturday, so could not even think of joining)!!!

- - - Merged Post - - -

@punto_emotion: yeh... I had read of your experience in other threads on tires.. that made me think that I am not a loner in this field..
    Somewhere I even read Gurjinder referring that the problem could be caused by the shock absorbers ... but.. personally i doubt that.. unless fiat has completely failed in matching the tyre hardness with the stiffness of suspensions..
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hi Shikhar,

Just my opinion why not give a try with a non MRF alignment shop.Good 3D alignment shop you can look for and tire rotation will help.Stock tires should live up to 30-40k IMO.

Yes, i did make it to meet for sometime.Better luck next time.
    2 people like this.
  8. @varoon 9999: thanks!!! Shall try that too and let you know!!!
    1 person likes this.
  9. fernandeskaran

fernandeskaran Amatore

Mumbai, Maharashtra
    Mumbai Suburban
    Linea 1.3
    My car with OEM GT3s has completed 45k kms and is still going strong :D
  10. My GT3 are very punture prone tyres. Every month I have to get 1 or 2 punctures made. My drive havn't changed since last 3 yrs and my michelin on other car punctured quite rarely. In 9 months every tyre with 2-3 puntures I don't know how much I would be able carry them.

Have done 23K kms, and I am sure it will die by 40K, while the michelin or MRF usually give me 60K on other cars. Will never recomend Goodyear to anyone.