1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Leh and Linea : Revisited with my XUV

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by J Ravi, Sep 28, 2011.

1. sungoa2010

sungoa2010

Goa
    Ravi sir, Thanks for a wonderful thread and one tone thanks for sharing the photos. After going through all posts I feel "Mera Bharat Mahan and Hamara Fiat Mahan". In some photos the FT Azure colour of your Linea is complementing the open sky(or other way).
    If there is a award to honor the best Fiat owner, I definitely wish you to get that, because your trip has proven the unquestionable reliability of Fiat cars.
  2. Sumit

Sumit Superiore

Munger
    J Ravi sir, i salute you for the incredible feat that you achieved. Driving your Linea all the way from Chennai to Leh only with your wife requires alot of courage, skill and determination. i think FIAL shud award you for this and make you one of the brand ambassdors. you have made us proud.

God bless You, God bless Fiat.
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2011
  3. Pran

Pran Superiore

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    I am yet to get back my breath after going through this thread and the pics. Simply the best thread !
  4. nbvcrao

nbvcrao Amatore

Guntur
    Mr. Ravi,

Probably, the best thread on TFI with detailed updates and some breath taking photos giving us a feel of virtual travel.

On your way to Hyderabad, you should have taken left turn at Mederametla instead of travelling till Chilakaluripet. (http://maps.google.co.in/maps?hl=en&tab=wl) which would have been the best road instead of going upto Chilakaluripet and taking a potholed road.

Hats off Mr & Mrs. Ravi, for the wonderful write up on your journey and experiences with Linea.
  5. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Thanks, sungoa2010, for the compliments. I share the credit with my Linea.;)
    Thanks a lot, Sumit, for prayers on our behalf.
    Thank you, Pran, for kind words.
    Thanks, nbvcrao. In fact, my MMI Lx130 navigator suggested the Mederametla route only when I opted for NH 5. But, I read somewhere else that Chilakaulripeta route was better compared to Mederametla route.
  6. Ravi sir... Finally accolades from me to you and your wife for this wonderful trip.

Liked all the details which you have posted and also with wonderful pictures. Like a good driver, you are also an excellent photographer and good narrator too.

Dont know whether I may be able to plan for a trip like this but make sure, if ever I planned to go on such a long trip, I would surely keep your post in mind with even the minutest details.

Some pictures which you have taken regarding the food made my mouth water... it looked real yummy..... :)

Seeing the KANNUR TERRRIERS or the 122 Inf bn there in Srinagar made me nostalgic since I see them here in my hometown Kannur, maybe once in 6 months or so.

My regards to your wife for being with you on this wonderful trip.
  7. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Srinagar: Nishat Bagh aka Mughal Garden

Nishat Bagh is the second largest Mughal Garden in Kashmir Valley, the first one being Shalimar Bagh.

On 21 September 2011 [Wednesday], we got up late, had a brunch of poori, subzi and tea and proceeded to Fairdeal Motors, Parimpora, Baramulla Road, Srinagar with the guidance of my MMI navigator for servicing of my Linea. I handed over the vehicles to the SA at 11:30 pm and got it back by 4:30 pm only.:eek: My list of works included full servicing, topping of engine oil/fluids, set right the engine guard plate, fixing of all the four mud-flaps [which my Linea lost at Zoji La] and rear right stop light bulb [which got burnt at Leh]. Except the last one, all others were attended to including a thorough wash. I paid Rs 990 by cash. Cards were not accepted there. We waited at the customer lounge until my Linea was handed over to me. We were served with tea and puffs. After consuming them, we were asked to pay Rs 20!:sadblue

We had time to visit Nishat Bagh, aka Mughal Garden only, which closed at sunset. We missed Shalimar Garden due to lack of time.
    DSC05092.jpg
    DSC05094.jpg
    DSC05095.jpg
    DSC05096.jpg
    DSC05098.jpg
    DSC05100.jpg
    DSC05102.jpg
    DSC05105.jpg
    DSC05106.jpg
    DSC05109.jpg
    DSC05110.jpg
    DSC05115.jpg
    DSC05119.jpg
    DSC05121.jpg
    DSC05124.jpg
    DSC05126.jpg
    We shopped at the nearby Kashmir Valley Arts Emporium, my Linea had her tankful at HP petrol pump, we had our dinner at a Punjabi Vaishno Dhaba opposite HP PP and returned to Hotel Mirage. I settled the bill, packed and loaded most of the luggage in my Linea, keeping only bare minimum in the room, as we were scheduled to depart at 4 am the next day.

More to come.
    2 people like this.
  8. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Srinagar to Chandigarh

Jawahar Tunnel is 2.5 km long and connects Banihal and Qazigund.

On 22 September 2011 [Thursday], I did Srinagar to Chandigarh. We had left Srinagar at 4:10 am and reached Chandigarh at 9:30 pm including breaks for breakfast [dry fruits+nuts+fruit juice], lunch [at Vaishno Dhaba near Samba] and dinner [at Haveli near Jalandhar] and stoppage before Jawahar Tunnel for about half hour and at manned railway level crossing across NH 21. I did not take the Udhampur bypass this time. I drove through Udhampur city roads which were unexpectedly kept nice.:) Now, I knew the reason why most of the vehicles shun Udhampur bypass!
    DSC05129.jpg
    DSC05131.jpg
    DSC05133.jpg
    DSC05135.jpg
    DSC05136.jpg
    DSC05138.jpg
    My MMI Lx130 navigator guided me through NH 1A via Pathankot, Dasuya and Jalandhar to Chandigarh. I knew, I could have gone via Hoshiarpur, but then, I wanted to have dinner at Haveli, near Jalandhar, which I saw on my way to Amritsar!:mrgreen: NH 1A was 4 lane up to Mukerian and from Jalandhar, 30 km towards Pathankot. The rest of the stretches were still under construction with a lot of deviations. Crossing Dasuya town was a pain in the neck.
    DSC05139.jpg
    DSC05142.jpg
    DSC05143.jpg
    DSC05145.jpg
    DSC05147.jpg
    DSC05149.jpg
    DSC05150.jpg
    DSC05446.jpg
    DSC05153.jpg
    DSC05156.jpg
    DSC05157.jpg
    DSC05158.jpg
    At Hotel KLG, Sector 43, Chandigarh, where I had confirmed reservation from MakeMyTrip, we were made to wait for more than half-hour as they didn't have vacancy. Finally, we were allotted a suite, where while we were unpacking, we were shifted to another room within 5 minutes!:sadblue Apart from this goof up, the hotel was good. We drowned into sleep immediately.

To be continued.
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
    2 people like this.
  9. speedJet

speedJet Superiore

Gurgaon
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Chandigarh: Rock Garden

Chandigarh: I wanted to visit this planned city from 1970s, when I studied town planning in my engineering college, but could do it only on 23 September 2011!:) Anyway, it is always better late than never.

On 23 September 2011 [Friday], we got ready, enjoyed sumptuous and delicious breakfast at Hotel KLG and left for the much-acclaimed Rock Garden.
    DSC05159.jpg
    DSC05160.jpg
    DSC05199.jpg
    DSC05161.jpg
    DSC05164.jpg
    DSC05174.jpg
    DSC05176.jpg
    DSC05189.jpg
    DSC05190.jpg
    DSC05191.jpg
    DSC05196.jpg
    DSC05212.jpg