1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Leh 2011

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by Viny, Mar 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    In the morning after this - i searched for by car to leh and higher and came to this very interesting interesting travelogue. Was pretty much taken with the pics and the details, they went all the way to leh, ladhak, kargil and much more...

Ground clearance of linea / punto will be a problem?
  2. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    Viny thank you so much for starting this thread. This will give us better platform. I am planning to visit Leh/Ladakh this year in my Punto MJD.

My leaves are already approved from 1st Sept to 16th Sept 2011. If anyone planning to visit in this period lets plan together. :)
  3. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Kedar Sahib,

source

I do not have to worry about leaves and i am getting attracted to the idea of going up up and away....

Arvind
  4. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    <html>
    <body>
    See this <a href="http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/travelogues/86461-bangalore-sakleshpur-via-ladakh.html" target="_blank">travelogue</a>. That couple performed the journey by Getz without any issues. I have seen many travelogues with journeys done by Santro, MS Dezire, Verna, Honda City, etc. At least, in some of these cars, GC is equal or less than that of Linea. So, I want to test my Linea's physical fitness in Leh.:) One main advantage is Linea has already been equipped with engine guard plate which ensures greater protection.
    </body>
    </html>
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Thanks Ravi sir,

I read the above one too, very interesting one. Hope you checked the part where they pulled out the stuck verna. Well the engine guard is present in Punto as well, but the GC is really low. I have scrapped it many times in hard to believe patch of roads /speedbreakers. A 4 x 4 WD SUV should also be part of the convoy, so as to have extra power for pulling out in cases of getting stuck.

I do have few queries out of curiosity :

1. Will all the necessary items fit in the boot? I mean clothes, extra fuel jerrycans, food provisions for atleast 3 days, warm clothings, ropes, extra battery for jumpstart etc...
    2. Approx. budget.
    3. Will such a terrain drive void the warranty of the car?
    4. What does your research say about the Diesel freezing - could be an case if stuck in some high altitude pass overnight winds can bring down the temp to sub zero quickly. As read, the weather is the only unpredictable and unforgiving thing up there.

I also feel that if the number of cars (linea / punto) increases for the proposed trip, Fiat would not mind providing a support vehicle to join the convoy in the high hilly roads, after all its their machine powering the men's guts to attempt such feats.
  6. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Here are my answers to your queries, drarvindc:
    Sure. But, their trip was in June/July 2010. In August/September, stream-crossings are not expected.
    I hope, my Linea's boot would contain the essential things for four of us. But, I don't want to carry the extra battery. But, Punto may require a roof-top carrier, for occupancy of more than two people.
    My budget: Rs 50 k/head for my trip of 20 days for four of us.
    How? I will be driving on NH/SH/MDR only. I won't be driving off-road.
    I don't think there is a remotest possibility of diesel freezing in August/September.
    If somebody from FIAT India is following this thread, they could come forward for this expedition. I don't have any objection!:)
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  7. Prateek

Prateek

Delhi
    Hello Arvind

I definitely see merit in your point of Ground clearance. I face it now and then, on our bumpy, not-so-perfect highways. I would not be confident for hilly terrains. Maybe someone who has done Linea / Punto in hills before, can suggest better.
  8. drarvindc

drarvindc

Nagpur
    Yaa Prateek, I agree.

While driving on rough roads, some of the touch down are however judged and expected, but there had been times when i was like " touched for such a minor ditch?"

J Ravi sir is planning it very meticulously and i am sure his would be the best possible plan / timing to undertake the trip. I have seen (read) him asking other ladhak veterans about the details in other forums.

I await his details and technically its a go ahead from my wife but as said this GC troubles me very much.
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    How did I miss this thread ?

Leh is a dream trip but am not sure if I could manage away-from-work for many days. But then I never lose hope till last moment !!
  10. J Ravi

J Ravi Esperto

Bangalore
    Leh Laid Off

After weighing pros and cons and researching immensely, I have decided to delete Leh from my itinerary as I don't want to take any risk on the comfort of my Linea. Thanks a lot for showing interest in my Leh itinerary. Perhaps, I shall do Leh expedition in Skoda Yeti AWD in future!:)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.