1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Left control stalk - Ergonomics

Discussion in 'Electrical Systems' started by Vijairaj, Feb 14, 2012.

Have you accidentally switched of the headlamp while using indicator/dim-dip?

1. Yes

12 vote(s)
  2. No

9 vote(s)
  1. Vijairaj

Vijairaj Amatore

During night driving, has anybody accidentally switched off the headlamps when using the indicator or when using dim-dip.
    I have done it a few times and thing that the design of the left control stalk is to blame. What do you think?
  2. bhai

bhai Esperto

Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Yes ! I also experienced this sometime. It happens in following 2 situations.1) It happens sometime when we do dim/dip in hurridly manner. 2) When we try to do dim/dip & operation of side indicator it happens.Cause is design.See the design of stalk of FIAT UNO. If you want to put on/off headlight of UNO, complete assly.of left hand stalk rotates.But in GP & Linea whole stalk doesn't roate. Only its end part rotates. That's why some time we face this issue.
  3. clash81

clash81 Regolare

Yes, i have also experienced it at times during frantic blinking and this only happens when i am on highways otherwise, i neednt blink much.
  4. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Yes, it has happened with me many times. i have observed that mainly it happens when we try to flash with indicator or or if we hurriedly try to switch on the indicator.
  5. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Happens everytime I have to flash the lights repeatedly to someone who is doing around 40 kmph in fast lane lugging his car in 5th gear.
    Don't know why I find the Indicator stalk on left side very ergonomic when everyone else keeps on cursing it, I find it really hard now to flash and give indicators when driving M800. In right hand stalk either I have to use finger or lift right hand completely. Being a right handed person it feels awkward to drive with left hand on steering even for less than a sec to me.
  6. PaddleShifter

PaddleShifter Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    I believe that this happens because of very soft operation of the rotatory control of lamps. Its just like the gear shifts of i20. You just tap it slightly and it goes into the desired gear butter smooth. Same is true for the stalk of our GPs. Very little force is required to rotate the control rings on the stals.
    1 person likes this.
  7. I have a problem with the right stalk. When I press the Trip button on the Right Stalk, sometimes the wiper gets engaged (single wipe). :D
  8. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Guys I am yet to have any probs with the stalk operation of Punto, either left or right. :p
    Well one needs to get used to it and train the mind for the smooth operation of upper-dipper while indicators are blinking and even turning the steering to the desired direction. What I do is I keep my left thumb touching the steering and my palm and fingers go under the stalk for operation, with the flip of the palm/fingers one can easily achieve it. My left hand keeps control of the car all the time.

:eek:fftopic While riding a bike one's left hand and right foot are to be under extreme control and while driving a car one's right hand and left foot are to be under extreme control.