1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Laminating car Exterior

Discussion in 'Fiat OEM Spares & Accessories' started by Tarun, Jul 31, 2011.

1. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    hello members,
    as it was Sunday i made up my mind to wax the Exterior nd polish the interiors of my 1.3 MJD. As i have no polishing machine i was using my hard build Muscles to apply against the doors :mrgreen:
    .. then my neighbor (40 yr old) saw me doing so and said- "hey Tarun, why don't u get the exteriors Laminated, i said wat ?? and he said cum i'll show you my car "
    i saw hez car's Hood laminated, at first glaze u can't trace the sheet nd watching real carefully u'll see it ..
    i asked the cost it was rs 300 for the hood only, he said hez happy with it and will soon get a fully lammy..
    seeing that hood laminated i thought to go for the same, but i want to ask you guys that is there any bad effect on paint or paint quality after long term usage .. ??
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2011
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I think 3M does make a transparent film for paint protection. But no idea about their long term effects.

Delhi would be having those authorised 3M centres. You can call them up and check up on the details.
    But if ever you decide to go for this "lamination", do it from an authorised 3M centre.

Do tell the costs involved. If 3M , then i don't think the costs will be something like 300 for the hood. It'll be higher.
  3. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    can you share some pics. seems interesting.
  4. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    Tried my best to have details in the PIC .. i hope u can see the film's edges on windscreen washer nd on the edges of HOOD ..
    the car is Maruti wagonr
    31072011693.jpg 31072011694.jpg 31072011695.jpg
  5. kailashnj

kailashnj Amatore

Mumbai
    seems pretty good, but not sure how long it will last and since it look like a sticker when ever it will be removed for what ever reasons, it will leave some gum on the car and that will be a sore point as it might be difficult to removethat from the paint. Neverthless if done properly it might save lot of things on the car. Please find more details onthis and post it on the net
  6. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    this seems interesting. i have seen car colours changed by applying vinyl sheets but this is something different. just thinking if the transparent sheet wont get yellow as time passes??!!
  7. gurjinder

Punjab
    Google 3M Scotchgard paint protection film.

Also called a clear bra by some. Quite an interesting moniker.
  8. Tarun

Tarun Amatore

Bhiwani, Delhi
    @ Gurjinder
    found 3M's Scothgard nd VentureShield...
    now need to confirm the prices ...... and i'll just get it done :)
  9. gurjinder

Punjab
    How about starting with the front and rear bumpers firstly?

You can judge the quality of work, and also the quality of the film used. Use & analyse it for a month or so and then progress to other areas of the car.

Just my 2 cents.

Cheers.

Edit- it'll be a good idea to get the parts of the car which are to be filmed polished nicely. So as to remove swirls etc and present a nice smooth finish after film installation.
    Last edited: Aug 1, 2011
  10. Italia-Linea

Italia-Linea Staff Member Janitor

Pune
    this is a very nice idea now. i invested a lot of money and time to get my tuscan wine linea swirl free. but again after a month its full of swirl marks.
    i think i better get it swirl free and polished again and then put these sheets all over, if they are really transparent and of good quality.

@ Gurjinder any idea how much 3m are costing for these?