1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Ladakh-June'2014: Full Circuit ->Zojilla-Suru/Zanskar-Leh-Turtuk-Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Rohtang

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by VahanPujari, Sep 6, 2014.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Ladakh-June'2014: Full Circuit ->Zojilla-Suru/Zanskar-Leh-Turtuk-Pangong-Hanle-Tso Moriri-Rohtang

LEH-TFI.jpg
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
    deep63well, HareeshCR, kaps and 11 others like this.
  2. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    The following is the snapshot of the itinerary planned after several iterations:

Itinerary-planned.jpg

Following is what got actually executed (didn't deviate much - minor changes):

Itinerary-executed.jpg
  3. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    I must express my & co-passengers gratitude to HVK. Like our family members, we used to get message or a call from HVK asking our whereabouts & location we reached. Likewise we're thankful to HVK volunteer team also. While we were driving on the road in late afternoon or evening, they used to call hotels to book rooms for us.
    Thanks to them & the exhaustive research I did that this once-a-lifetime & a difficult trip was so successful and easy (it was not sort of typical day-trips from Leh but involved less-travelled or rather rarely travelled places too).

Who all Travelled: Me, My Brother, Nephew, BIL - Me & my brother did most of the driving for we allowed our nephew to drive only a few times while we were in plains.

A Road trip has a distinct advantage for me for I go through the journey 3 times for the same trip - 1) while researching for it making preparations, 2) actual drive/ trip & 3) capturing it in blogs / travelogue

That said, I invite you to revisit this wonderful journey along with me....
    HareeshCR, kailasmenon2000 and ramjn like this.
  4. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Awesome start, VP. Eagerly waiting for the journey to start. Leh log is always special. :)
    VahanPujari likes this.
  5. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Thanks Ramesh. Before journey, let me start the preparations for it is one of the most important & critical part of a Ladakh Drive

Preparations:

The earliest modified file in LEH folder of my PC is dated 19th Mar'14. So, I started the preparations almost 2.5 - 3 months before the trip. There are 110 files in the Leh folder of my PC :p The sources were various Automobile forums, BCMtouring, HVK forum. The broad category explored were as follows:

• Circuits to visit in Ladakh
    • Car related preparations
    • Items to carry including medicines
    • List of Fuel Pumps in Ladakh
    • List of important spots/ sights to visit
    When we started journey I had with me 2 folders of 75 pages each & 2 folders of about 10 pages, all of which were kept in the cabin (I'm a fan of old school hardcopies). The entire Leh folder with all files were copied to our cellphone memory cards as well as USB stick too.

Not going into all those details, however, sharing below the list of items to carry as it covers most of the other stuff and might be useful to someone planning a trip (this is a compiled list from the net from various forums/ articals and advices from friends). There are a few items which are repeated but I didn't allow to delete it as each item was assigned to each one of us to manage and I was tracking it in excel by using vlookup with serial no./code no. (didn't like it an online google doc which can be edited by everybody of us)

List of items to carry:

ITEMS TO CARRY-1.jpg
    ITEMS TO CARRY-2.jpg
    ITEMS TO CARRY-3.jpg
    ITEMS TO CARRY-4.jpg
    ITEMS TO CARRY-5.jpg
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  6. kailasmenon2000

kailasmenon2000 Superiore

Chennai
    Congrats on your achievement! Waiting for the complete travelogue :)
    VahanPujari likes this.
  7. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Broadly, we covered following Circuits/ Places:

• Zanskar : Rangdum – Pensi La – Drang Drung and back to Rangdum. I’m glad that we didn’t choose to omit it due to time constraints as we thought at beginning. Though finally we had 2 buffer days left unused, I thought visiting Padum would have been nice. Any of my future Leh – Ladakh drives won’t be without Zanskar / Drang Drung. Such is the beauty of this Glacier Express circuit.
    • Nubra Valley till Turtuk (the last Indian Village that one can visit towards PoK border in North)
    • Pangong Tso
    • Pangong – Chushul – Tsaga La – Loma – Hanle
    • Tso Moriri

Following Circuits/ routes/ places could not be visited due to requirement of 4WD vehicle (except for Padum which was due to time constraints) and are on the cards for the next such trip. It's here that I repented my decision of not going for 4WD vehicle last year when I bought it.

• Padum
    • Marismik La
    • Agham – Shyok Route from Nubra to Pangong direct
    • Nubra to Pangong thro’ Wari La
    • Chushul – Kakasang La – Loma
    • Hanle – Kyun Tso – Nidar – Nyoma
    HareeshCR, pv_krish, Ravi and 2 others like this.
  8. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Day 0, 11th June'14

Left Mumbai at 5.30 pm. Reached Surat at 9.30 pm. Had dinner, picked up Bro & left at 11.30 pm for Ahmedabad

20140612-IMG_20140612_023520.jpg

Day 1, 12th June'14

Reached Ahmedabad by 3.30 am. Picked up BIL from Kalupur Railway Station at 4.30 am as his train got late. Crossed Ahmedabad City & picked up Nephew. Though early morning but getting into the city & crossing it took time and could leave Ahmedabad only by 6 am.

Had a breakfast of mouth watering “Methi Bhajiya” at Himmatnagar.

20140612-IMG_20140612_065732.jpg

Encountered heavy truck traffic at Udaipur Bye pass, crossed Chittorgarh and reached Kishangarh at around 2.30 pm. Had Lunch, filled up fuel and after wasting precious time in sundry items, left for Hanumangarh at around 4 pm. Reached Hanumangarh at 9.30 pm. A long day drive is over for about 1500 kms. Next Day is another day of long drive with target aimed at Patnitop / Batote (keeping in mind notorious Jammu-Srinagar truck traffic & road conditions)

20140612-20140612_191443_Richtone(HDR).jpg
  9. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Day 2, 13th June'14:

Left Hanumangarh at about 7.15 am. 4 Guys luggage & the most important 5th one i.e. the car for which I took lots of items means the boot was overflowing (car related stuff occupied almost 33% (or more) of the boot)

20140613-IMG_20140613_073313.jpg

Had breakfast of Kachori on outskirts of Hanumangarh on the way to Abohar. Tasty !!

20140613-IMG_20140613_080420.jpg
    Crossed Kotkapura at about 10.30 am. Reached Jalandhar at about 1 pm. Here, my Nephew drove the car again from Moga to Jalandhar or Dasuya (don’t remember). Had lunch at McD just after Dasuya.

Crossed Jammu Bye Pass at about 5.30-6.00 pm. Held up in traffic at Patnitop. It was week-end and JKTDC Alpine was full. Proceeded to Batote & reached at about 9.30 pm, again JKTDC Batote was full. Both JKTDC’s don’t take booking over phone. Finally, managed a hotel room in Batote, had dinner at a typical dhaba in Batote market (tasty again) and crashed to bed.

Jammu – Srinagar road is a beauty. Full of awesome vista’s. Though, it was dark in the last 1-2 hours we drove on this highway till Batote.

Next day was again going to be a long day with a target of crossing Srinagar first, reach Sonamarg by 2-3 pm, cross Zojilla & reach Kargil by late evening !!
    pv_krish, Ravi and ramjn like this.
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Passed thro' beautiful fields of Punjab on Day 2

20140613-DSC_0581.JPG
    20140613-DSC_0584.JPG

20140613-DSC_0589.JPG
    Jammu-Srinagar road

20140613-20140613_181240.jpg