1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Labrador Retriever or Golden Retriever? which one to choose?

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by saharsh, Jul 21, 2011.

1. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    labrador-retriever-wallpaper.jpg

OR
    Golden-Retriever-big-2.jpg

Hi guys! I am planning to buy a Pup. which is better? Golden Retriever or Labrador retriever? we had a Female German shepard named Lassy. she was 10 when she passed away on 28 may 2010. so I want a dog that is user friendly and active. thanks in advance..

regards,

Saharsh.
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    I've generally found Golden retrievers as being more active than Labs. But that said, it all depends on how we groom the dog.

Both are loveable, mild tempered. Only thing is, the golden is more hairy, and consequently will shed more hair than the lab.

My choice would be Golden Retriever. Since you've already had one German, so grooming the longer hair wouldn't be something new for you. :p

Gurjinder.
    P.S. We have one German Shepherd dog, and an American Pitbull Terrier. Both are amazing dogs, but the Pitbull is the best.

Gurjinder.
  3. Cinju

Cinju Esperto

Trivandrum
    Saharsh Golden retriever & Labrador retrievers are both equally good and look wise Golden would surely be attracting you. But I think Labrador would be the best fit in Indian condition as it has more resistance to our varying climatic conditions. The Golden needs extra care compared to Labs.
  4. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    Buddy both are loving and caring pets.Make a choice which suits you the most.I have a Lab in my building and i must say he really loves me to the core.I would pick the Lab anyday since Golden's are lil bit hairy and wouldnt suit my apartment with all its furr around :p
  5. saharsh

saharsh Regolare

Noida
    Yes it's a bit difficult to maintain the coat of GR but i am getting some very VFM offers of GR's . The labs price is about 4000 that too in fawn colour,while the GR's price is about 8000-16000.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  6. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

I also would recommend a Labrador.. but if you are ok with paying that extra price; then its always better to own that less common golden retriever. You find labs everywhere now a days..
    Here in mumbai golden retrievers have tough time coping with the heat at times.. pune it might be a bit different.

have a look at this website: http://www.dogbreedinfo.com (its one of my fav dog sites and one of the oldest that i remember of)

Check out the health info and other details for both the breed:
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/labrador.htm
    http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/goldenretriever.htm
  7. varoon9999

varoon9999 Superiore

New Delhi,HP 48
    New Delhi,HP 48
    Grande Punto 1.3
    guru 22ji....that means you would have got license for the pitbull??even am huge admirer of pitbull dogs...
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 22, 2011
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    22ji, no licence is needed. Because they are registered as American Staffordshire dogs, not Pitbulls. So although everyone knows it's a Pitbull, but papers say Staffordshire. :)

Jai ho India and it's jugaad culture! :D

By the way, Pitbulls are the most misunderstood dogs in the world.

In reality, they are the best. Strength, agility,stamina and above all their brain power.

Gurjinder.
  9. abk1980

abk1980 Amatore

Mumbai
    We had a black lab earlier (died young :() and now have a cross between a golden retriever and cocker spaniel (she has the latter's ears, rest like a shorter retriever).
    As some other's have pointed out, golden retrievers have a bigger problem in the heat and more hair. I think they are better hunters (our Ginny has been good at hunting mice, squirrels and even pigeons) and IMHO need more open space. They are also better looking.
    Both are intelligent breeds and if well trained can be used as smart safety dogs who don't bother other people unless they see someone harming you - I'm guessing this about GRs as Ginny while being very intelligent came to us when she was 6m old and had been made to be very docile who barks only when playing with me. We never tie our dogs, even when taking them for a walk, and have never seen our dogs become a nuisance to others.
    Both are excellent breeds so go with you gut. I would prefer the Lab because it looks way cheaper and is more comfortable in the heat. If the prices were closer, I would be in a dilemma.
  10. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Some very valid points brought out by abk1980.

Heat tolerance & exercise requirement are important points. I too feel that you should go in for a Lab.

We had a Yorkshire Terrier. He died two years back of old age. He was like our son. I still have not recovered fully from the loss. That is, I suppose the flip side of keeping a dog.

Regards
    Johnny