1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

La mia bella e potente star - Punto Emotion MJD

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Nithrath, Apr 10, 2012.

1. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    I never thought, car buying would be a so strenuous job. Being my first car purchase and being the first car in my family, it has to be certified and approved by my parents as well. Seeing a car from a 25+ aged guy and 50+ aged parents’ eyes is two complete different worlds.</SPAN>
    I wanted a sexy hot hatch, which when passes by everybody stare at, and my parents want a practical 4 wheeler which suffices to our family needs in the coming 4-5 years and provide good mileage and decent looking. These are two different worlds.

And finding such a car that satisfies all the above is certainly a challenge for a person who never owned any car before.
    </SPAN>
    More than finding, FIAT has done excellent job in building one such vehicle which reaches expectations of everybody - The Grande Punto. I bought a 2012 Bosa Nova White Punto Emotion MJD.
    </SPAN>
    My first thought of buying a car started sometime back in 2011 when i was back to Hyderabad from Mumbai & Bangalore business trips. I visited Fiat showroom and thought, “Ok! An emotion would be ok for me. No need for emotion pack.” But, the interiors and plastic quality put me off. Then due to my sister marriage and some other personal issues kept me off from car buying. Then again in June’11 I came hunting for a hatch. Then I found this Jazz price slash. But it’s a petrol car. Calculated hardly all the petrol fuel expense for my running. I felt expensive. But, still ok. My heart says YES for jazz and brain says NO. I ditched my mind. Visited Honda showroom. Bowled by the looks, space, goodies in the jazz. Booked the car right then by paying 10K. But the promise by the sales guy was, the exact pricing would be known only after 18Aug’11 after the facelift launch. If I don’t like the price or the car then I’m free to cancel the booking without any charges. That looked ok. I waited for 18Aug. On 18Aug I was so excited like i’m getting a doctorate. Followed the facebook page of Honda, some forums, carwale etc etc to find the pricing and the added features. The day itself I called the showroom for test drive and other pricing details, new color etc etc. But the sales guy had no clue at all. He asked till 23Aug they don’t get a demo vehicle also. I waited for 23Aug. Visited Honda on 24Aug and had a look at the vehicle in flesh. Confirmed the booking and choose white color. I visualized a white Jazz in my parking and dreamt of it for long time. The delivery time was promised by 4[SUP]th[/SUP] week of sept’11. Postponed to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] week of Oct’11. Postponed to 4[SUP]th[/SUP] week of Dec’11. Postponed to 1[SUP]st[/SUP] week of Feb’12. Come Feb’12. Again postponement was predicted by the showroom. I said, “Enough! I will now postpone the thought of buying a Honda.” Cancelled the booking and got the booking amount back promptly.
    </SPAN>

What car now? Polo, I20, Punto? - No more contenders.
    </SPAN>
    I20: I ruled it out right after the minute of my test drive. Superb interiors. Sluggish engine. Turbo lag is visible. Lacks pickup. Expensive too. I don’t want spend hard earned 8.5 lakhs for which either my heart nor my mind accepted.
    </SPAN>

Polo: Build quality is awesome. Nearest to punto interms of build quality. Pickup was not so good with 3 pot engine. For the features like airbags, ABS, EBD I need to spend 8.8 lakhs on road in Hyderabad. It didn’t look VFM.
    </SPAN>
    2012 Punto was launched. Visited Fiat show room at cyber towers. Though delayed, the sales guy was very patient explaining the features of the new punto and new additions. I was stunned by the improvement in the quality of the interiors. My reason for not going for punto is solved now. Then why do I go for other cars? I got the pricing. Now I selected diesel. Hardly any discounts. 7.8Lakhs. Not even a single rupee less and no freebies also. My best friend has some good contacts in a different Fiat showroom. Got the pricing through him and its 7.65Lakhs. I felt Emotion Punto MJD for 7.65Lakhs was value for money. I booked the car paying 25K on 29Feb’12. I felt like a coincidence. I booked my first car on leap year day
    </SPAN>J</SPAN></SPAN> I got the VIN number from the sales guy on 3Mar’12. The vehicle has reached the stockyard on 8[SUP]th[/SUP] Mar’12. Visited the showroom on 9[SUP]th[/SUP] and found my punto staring at me with gleaming eyes. I caressed it slight on the head and eyes. It sadly looked at me and asked “Quando ti take me home? When will you take me home </SPAN></SPAN>:( ? Mera number kab aayega!!”. I smiled back and said, "Ayega aayega, tera number aayega :)"

The vehicle was promised delivery on 9[SUP]th[/SUP] Marc’12. But due to some loan processing issues, it’s delivered finally on 17[SUP]th[/SUP] march’12, an auspicious day as per mom.

The deal i got:
    </SPAN>
    EX-SHOW ROOM PRICE : 688163
    LIFETAX : 82830
    INSURANCE: 0
    HANDLING CHARGES : 3500
    EXTENDED WARANTY: 5350
    ROAD SIDE ASSISTANCE : 0
    VALUE PACK: 4000
    Personal discount: 18093
    ON-ROAD PRICE: 765750

Once a FIATian, always a FIATian is what i would start my review with. Such an awesome vehicle. Literally, for the first 10 - 15 days, i used to find excuses to take the car out for drive. It’s such a sweet pain to see Punto sitting idle in the parking. Every time I pass by the car, punto seems like asking me “Hey! you bought me, infact owned me. No long drive, no highway drive till now. Please please take me for a ride and see what I can deliver.” Gosh! Seriously i want to take it for a long journey once. But i’m waiting for one good reason to take it out. I talk to my car daily. i must be sounding crazy ;) But i love it.

Exhaustive reviews are already out there in the forum from more experts than me. But my initial thoughts after covering 1250KM in 20 day of ownership.

You will love:
    1. The build quality. Feels like a war bunker.
    2. The handling at corners and highspeed.
    3. The latest goodies Blue & Me, USB, Steering mounted controls(i love these the most)
    4. The looks are killing. Especially the looks from rear. Love at first sight.
    5. Breaking. What a confidence it inspires in you!! Awesome breaking capability.
    6. Blue & Me feature. It connected to my Samsung Galaxy SPlus like a breeze.
    7. Blue & Me feature usability. When stopped at traffic signals, people/bikes stopped beside the car stare at me. They wonder with whom i'm talking to :) and why this guy is talking in air ;)
    8. Engine noise isolation into cabin till moderate speeds. That is till 50 - 60KMPH, the sound doesn't creep into the engine.

You will hate:
    Hmmm. I'm thinking....... With 2012 facelift, its heard to find anything wrong. To list some,
    1. The placement of USB drive in glovebox. Literally, my friend got off the car. Kneeled down to find the exact slot.
    2. The cubby storage spots. Very limited use. Its hard to fit a 1 liter bottle too.
    3. The glovebox could have been bigger. Limited use.
    4. Usability perspective of USB folders. Only can be operated from steering mounted controls.
    5. Few niggles with steering mounted controls response and FM frequencies storing.
    6. The obvious gap between the wheels and wheel arches. I think 16 inches alloys could fill this space. Have to research how this affects the ride quality.
    7. The driver seat height adjustment lever plastic quality could have been better.
    8. A bit of time required to use the accent understandable by Blue & Me lady.
    9. Blue & Me can't play the songs on your phone. I'm greedy to expect more.
    10. Spoiler should have been the default fitment. It adds to the oomph factor of the car.
    11. Arm rest is sourly missed. Will be very useful for long drives. I have to look for after market.

Accessories bought till now:
    1. Floor mats - Peaky pod brand. Costed me Rs.1200
    2. Upgraded the stock head lamps to Hella H4 100/90. Costed me Rs. 500(for two pieces)
    3. Art leather seat covers. Costed me Rs. 5000
    4. Ambi pure car freshener. Costed me Rs.180
    5. Reverse parking sensors - Auto cop brand. Costed me Rs. 2800
    6. Jopasu Car dusters & Microfiber cloth - Costed me Rs. 785.
    7. Branded Punto body cover - Costed me Rs.1300

Planned accessorries for future:
    1. Arm rest. I badly need it. But worried if it voids any warranty.
    2. Horn upgrade to dual tone.
    3. Spoiler.
    4. Body stickering.
    5. Back seat lighting.
    6. Footwell lighting.
    7. Front grill painting to black. I feel, it suits to the color of the car.
    8. Door sills with light. A dealer quoted Rs.1500 for the sills with lights.

Here goes the pictures,

It's my mom : The brand that put smiles on faces
    Nithrat-Punto09.jpg

Driving away the evil forces
    Nithrath-Punto08.jpg

Are you ready to fly?
    Nithrath-Punto07.jpg

I'm eternal--powerful with MJD.
    Nithrath-Punto06.jpg

The best view of Punto
    Nithrat-Punto10.JPG

I tried my best to capture the curves of punto
    Nithrath-Punto03.JPG

Standing still...
    Nithrath-Punto04.jpg

Have you noticed the alloys
    Nithrath-Punto05.JPG

My art leather seat covers. The design is inspired by U-Cheer design of Autofoam and customized by me :)
    Nithrath-Puntointeriors.JPG

Whenever you click, it poses with elegance.
    Nithrath-Punto01.JPG

Nithrath-Punto02.jpg
    11 people like this.
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Congratulations Nithrath and thanks for sharing a nice report too. Do post more pictures of your car.
  3. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Congratualtions Nithrath.....Hope to meet you soon in Hyderabad.
  4. thomman85

thomman85 Esperto

Congratulations Nithrath......... enjoy your ride.. and have fun..
  5. apraveen25

apraveen25 Novizio

Hyderabad
    Congratulations and Nice Pics Nithrath. Seems you spent little more(may be not considerable) on some accessories.

1. I changed Hella(100/90) bulbs recently for Rs 300/-
    2. Body cover should be Rs 1100/- (ebay.in has range from 600/-)

My suggession would be, remove the rear stickers as they are dominating with the beauty of Punto. :D
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    NItharth,
    Welcome bro.
    the way Honda people made you wait it seems like, it was GOD's wish ,made you to buy FIAT :).
    Always King BNW-Punto...
    Happy Miles with more Smiles

Above all the niggles,this is the point i'm always worried,as my bro also uses my car and always seat adjustment/height adjustment need to be done acording to comfort and i always feel this lever one day will come into my hands :D,bboy it so delicate

Please remove that "The TATA dash dash" ....
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2012
  7. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    @Ganges, yes its very fragile. I read some where that, if its broken it cant be repaired and needs to be replaced. The cost incured was around 5K something. So we need to be careful. Those stickers TATA dash dash are put at the time of car delivery and i'm asked by the SA not to remove till the first service. I donno the logic behind it. But i too see them as sour spots. Will remove them immediately.

@NKiran, Thank you very much. I would love to meet you guys at hyderabad. I contacted shiva. But he was busy and said would call me back. Lets see.

@Praveen: Thank you very much. Oh! Then i already overspent. Actually problem is, i have very few friends who own a car and that too Punto. Very little info i got. Need to get along with our fellow TFians.

@Ramjn: Thank you very much for the wishes.
  8. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Ask the SA to stick up those ..... you know where, until you come back for the first service. Thats just a load of bull ... and no logic behind it. You better get it done by the radium sticker guy when you get your new number plate. Ask him not to use the regular blade and use some plastic kind of thing that they have. Its quite easy to remove. But please don't do it yourself as you might end up leaving a small scratch behind.
  9. Nithrath

Nithrath Amatore

Hyderabad
    Kiran! yeah yeah....I know where you meant ;)

Actually i thought of doing that myself tonight using normal blade. Now that you suggest, i would take to radium sticker guy only. Thanks for that kiran.
  10. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3