1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Know-How : City Power Steering in FIATs abroad

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Vinodh_Gowda, Sep 19, 2014.

1. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    I was just going through the videos on Punto reviews and the anchors repeatedly mentioned about the "City Power Steering" button. Further research rather googling and what I found about this feature was,

"The PAS is electric rather than hydraulic. In city mode the power steering motor assists more than in normal setting making it easier to get into tight spots."

1. What exactly is this?
    2. Going by the above description, won't this be an awesome solution for FIAT cars in India. Lighter steering in the city and heavier one for the highway?
    3. Also, is this feature actually a part of Hydraulic steering or some type of Electric Power Steering?

Also, found that the FIAT 500 also has it.

NOTE : Am a novice, hence please excuse if am taking up an already discussed topic.
  2. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Do read latest post and thread of @Jigs who is a South Africa and driving the Punto 1.4 multiair. Yes you are correct. It probably will make it to India when multiair will be launched here. Perhaps more sooner than later.

Read last para in this post >>....Punto 1.4 MULTIAIR EASY
    Vinodh_Gowda likes this.
  3. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    @asimpleson : Thanks for the link. going by that, it is some form of EPS wherein the assistance to the steering is controlled depending on the activation and de-activation of a switch on the dash. Does this involve also a change in the suspension set-up to make the car nimbler on activation? I so wish this makes to our shore. That would then stop the "FIAT Illiterates" from bashing the heavy steering of the FIATs unnecessarily.
  4. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    The steering is never heavy in my personal opinion for the given tyre profiles as per OEM specs. Unless the car is too slow or stand-still which is understandable. Matter of fact zig-zag moving and driving guys jeopardize themselves and others on road. The steering on most modern Fiats since UNO, Palio days just needed slight nudge to change the car trajectory and make it easy to regain the straight path. Such a feeling I have never felt with electronic power steerings. If it's hydraulic-electric power steering perhaps it may feel good for city, but only when we drive it shall we know. We have all adopted to driving Fiats and appreciate them for what they are. Non-Fiat owners could speak their tongues off and we wouldn't care..:p
    Vinodh_Gowda likes this.
  5. Narayan

Narayan Regolare

Chennai
    In my view, having a button to toggle steering is going to be cumbersome to use daily in indian conditions and our mindset. If this can be automatically controlled based on vehicle speed, then that would be great ! :)
    Vinodh_Gowda likes this.
  6. Vinodh_Gowda

Vinodh_Gowda Novizio

Namma Bengaluru
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Ya it sure doesn't feel so for us but for a guy used to the Hondas and Hyundai, FIAT steering is gym work-out (Their opinion)

We all have adopted and adopted so well that driving any other car makes us feel hollow. I personally never even test drive the Hyundais. And for those who used to speak their tongues off, I just tell them this, "Experience a FIAT once and then let me know if you still have the same opinion."
    --- Double Post Merged, Sep 19, 2014 ---
    As per my encounter with google baba on this topic, I got to know that the city steering feature de-activates on moving upwards of 25-30 mph. I feel your suggestion is good though.
    asimpleson likes this.