1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Kiran's (P)ride !!!!

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by N Kiran, Sep 10, 2012.

1. N Kiran

N Kiran Staff Member Janitor

Hyderabad
    Thanks Arnab. There is a saying in Telugu that, "You should never ask a woman's age and a man's income" and in the same context "You should never ask mileage of 3 guys from Team Fiat - Hyderabad", Prabhakar's (Probiker), Vignesh's (Vj_V1) and mine :D But, if you insist. I get around 12.5kmpl in city and the best I got on highway was 16.5kmpl for 240kms if I remember correctly.

Thanks Amar.

+1, but that would be a disaster for Fiat with the current reputation it has.

Thanks Varoon bhai.

@Varun: Bingo !!! I was staring at my car yesterday and noticed that I should have done the A pillar blackened aswell. Will definitely get it done, but I do not have time this week as we are travelling for South India Meet this weekend. 14" alloys will be gone when I the time comes to change my current set of tyres. Have been already thinking about it and asking suggestions from fellow TFI memebers. But have to wait till another 5-10k kms before I upgrade. The multijet sticker was a last moment idea, I would be more than happy to get a badge of multijet on my hood. Will try to enquire and order at TASS. Blackening of Headlamp is out of question for me. I prefer the clear glass over it for now. I would only get them blackened if I am retro fitting them with angle eyes and projectors.

@Kedar: Thanks a lot. I completely agree with the Abarth Stickers. Even I din't like it in the first place. I told the guy about the size and I was busy supervising the roof and the side stripes being sticked. In the mean while he had cut the sticker and it was too big. It was already late in the night and I had to leave, so got it sticked anyway. My wife initially was furious about the whole sticker job, but then later asked me to atleast remove the Abarth Logos. These stickers will be definitely gone once I am back from the South India Meet. I will have to decide if I will go for a smaller sized sticker or with no sticker at all on the C pillar.
  2. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Kiran, I have searched one 16inch wheel from Sai Mag, have a look into it. Really good sporty from HRS.

Post:- 796, http://www.teamfiat.co.in/tyres-alloys/151-98-pcd-alloys-80.html
    1 person likes this.
  3. vj_v1

vj_v1 Superiore

Hyderabad

The Light is a lot Whiter when compared to stock, Not sure how they'll fare in rains. Also the light is kind of spread out unlike with the stock ones where you can see the precise cutoff on the road. (though the scatter is not too much for it to overwhelm oncoming traffic when on Low beam).
  4. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    For the last two days I have been driving in moderate to heavy rains at night. In city the low beam was more than enough with a lot of street lights and fellow commuter's head lights. When I was in a more dark and isolated area (read my colony when the power was out and without traffic in heavy rain) I used the high beam and it fares well but not very much effective. But as far as I remember the current set up was a lot better than the stock head lamps. Low beam is too good which was my criteria to upgrade. Have to check on highways at the South India Meet.
  5. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Ok Guys, I am back with a huge post again.

Many of you might know that I have exchanged my stock tyres and have added alloys on the next day of the delivery of my car which is 1yr 11months back.

2.JPG 3.JPG 32.jpg 49.jpg 51.jpg

The setup is as follows:
    14" Velocke Alloys
    195/60 R14 Yokohoma ES100

One of the tyre has bursted on my way back home approximately an year ago and I have got a new one in its place which still has around 10k kms of life on it.
    2 tyres are okish and might have 3k kms on them.
    One of the tyre has been worn out unevenly due to faulty rotation practice at TASS and has around 1000 kms of life on it.

Many of our members have advised me earlier that I need to upgrade my tyre size because of various reasons like reduction in GC, looks etc.
    So, I made up my mind earlier that when the time comes to replace the tyre which has been worn out, I will replace all of them and also upgrade to 15" or 16" depending upon the availability of PCD and choice of design.

I came back from an on-site job at The Netherlands this sunday and before I came down, I saw the post from Adit@KHT Motors, Bangalore about the offers being given for the old stock Fiats which are lying at the Fiat Factory.
    I casually enquired at Tejsawi Motors if there were any 2010 Linea MJD Emotion Packs and they checked it before me and there were couple of them.

After working out the details about the discount offered from Fiat and other taxes it came down to 8.5 Lakhs OTR. I checked with the financier if I am eligible for a loan of this amount and had a positive reply.
    Then the biggest hurdle was to convince my better half. I explained her about how we are about to spend around 50-60k on my car for Isurance renewal, 3rd Service and tyre/alloy upgrade. Some how I managed to convince her.

I asked the dealer about the buy back of my Punto to which they responded by getting few willing customers from outside. The one they brought was offering me 4 Lakhs. The other guy was a friend of my ex-colleuge and he offered me 4.4 Lakhs. The deal was done and then comes the sad part. The 2010 Linea was no more available and all my efforts went into the drain.

There is a 2011 Linea MJD Emotion Pack for 9.5 Lakhs OTR and a 90HP Punto for 7.7 Lakhs OTR. But I don't want to exchange my car for a 90HP and also the 2011 Linea has a discount of only 1.5 Lakhs compared to the 2012 Linea with more features and GC which is available for 11 Lakhs OTR.

I discussed the issue again with my wife and she was not very intrested in 90HP and though we can afford a Linea it would add more to the current expenses which is not required immediately. We finally compromised that we will keep this car and once the loan is cleared I can get any car of my choice even if it is a T-Jet+ :D

So again back to square one. I now have to do a research for the alloys and tyres. Unfortunately or rather fortunately I had a puncture this morning while dropping my wife at her office. While returning back to my office, lies this Stunnerz and wanted to check if they can fix it or atleast if they can fill in air so that I can move on.
    While being there, I was enquiring about the tyre prices. Later I asked them that I would want to exchange my 14" for a 15" one. I got speak to the owner about the buy-back policy and I don't know what made me to pop that question, but I asked him "Are there any Fiat OEM alloys?". His reply was "Yes, I do. They are brand new and the owner took the car from the showroom and has exchanged them."

I was like "Bingo!!!" On further enquiry, I came to know that the alloys belong to one of the guys that I already know who owns a 90HP Punto and has MOMO on his ride. They are genuinely not used for long. But still, I was not quite sure if they had any damages or bends. I called Vj_V1 for suggestion and he gave me few tips to check the alloys.
    The guy over there offered me to check on the balancing machine too and I told him that I will do that later as I was already 1.5hr late to my office. They asked me to pay a token amount for the alloys so that they will not show it to other customers. I paid them 5000 Rs as advance and I insisted on checking all 4 alloys. They showed them and I was satisfied with them. There were no scratches or any thing and were pretty smooth.

BTW the OEM alloys for a set of 4 were offered for 15k. :dance

They also offered me that they can sell me an old OEM alloy for much less price as a spare wheel. Then I got a doubt. What if they show me these new alloys and later fit some old one probably with some damage. So I checked the code printed inside the wheel and have noted the same.

20121121_113426.jpg

The codes are as follows :

LB30 210312 603
    LA28 190212 603
    LA75 140212 603
    LA75 140212 603

I am guessing that the middle number represents the date of manufacturing and if correct all 4 alloys are of Feb/Mar 2012 make. If true then I consider myself as a lucky chap.

Now comes the confusing part. TYRES.

When I enquired, I got the following quotes for different tyres of Yokohoma per tyre

ES100 195/65 R14 : Rs. 4920
    ES100 195/60 R15 : Rs. 6380

DB Decibel 195/60 R15 : Rs. 5360

S-drives 205/55 R15 : Rs. 6340

One of our members Prasanna Godugu recently got Michellins for Rs. 5500 each.

Also heard about MRF ZLOs to be better than Appollo Accelers and cheaper.

So guys..... please please help me out in choosing a good tyre.

My criteria is :

Current Setup: Excellent road grip
    Next tyre : Should have the same

Current Setup: Good Ride comfort
    Next tyre: Should have the same

Current Setup: Excessive road noise
    Next tyre: A BIG NO. But I am ok if it is average or same if it is inevitable.

Current Setup: Soft tyres (already had a burst)
    Next tyre: Hopefully won't

Current Setup: Poor life
    Next Setup: Atleast 40-45k is what I am expecting.

I know, I might be asking for more and also know that few aspects have to be compromised on.
    Being an owner of Active MJD, I do not have ABS and so would not compromise on grip and braking efficiency.

Now, let the suggestions flow.

P.S: The dealer also offered me buy-back of my alloys, but haven't confirmed the price. So if any one is intrested in buying these alloys can PM me for details.
    3 people like this.
  6. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Wow, good to get OEM alloy.

For tyres, go for Michelin PLC or C Drive. These will serve all your requirements.
  7. BoseSuman

BoseSuman Superiore

Midnapur (W.B) & Hyderabad (A.P) India.
    Linea 1.3
    Hey Kiran, Many congrats to you for getting 4 new Alloy almost new.

For Tyre, go with Michelin PLC with closed eye. Other members also gave positive feedback and this feedback I received from Zenex:- they told best tyre for punto is PLC in Indian condition.

looking to see your car with this mod in upcoming Hyd meet. :)
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  8. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Thanks for the quick reply guys. I just spoke to the tyre shop technician about Michellin PLCs. He says they are very good, but have a very low running life.
    ~30-35k kms is his expectation. Can some one confirm this. Would like to have atleast 40-45k kms of life.
  9. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    Congrats on the new car. Its sexy and beautiful. Good looking alloy wheels btw. I liked it.
  10. N Kiran

Hyderabad
    Well its almost 2 years old car. I am exchanging those alloys with OEM ones. Thanks for the compliment though :)