1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Kiirus Tuning - 22bhp gain!

Discussion in 'Engine and Drivetrain' started by amit, Jun 26, 2010.

1. linealover

linealover Regolare

good,but why company limits its power?may be after some extensive research & permutation and combintion,they found this is the feasible for engine life,efficency et al.,
    only longterm ownership report will suggest the worthiness.
  2. ysapre

Friends- Abhishek was contacted by FIAT since FIAT agreed that KiiRus tuned the car better than the company itself. there are many Swifts and Hondas that have been Kiirus tuned as well - Infact this is done in large volumes especially in the U.S for many car manufacturers...

Auto Car Experts had mentioned that ECU tuning is worth the money. Honestly, i have been enjoying it for the past 3 months now and have covered 6000 kms since then...
  3. Nice to know you've been enjoying your Linea after tuning but Abhishek being contacted by FIAT and agreeing Kiirus map is better than their own is hard to believe.After all FIAT has tuning companies like Abarth which have 50+ years experience in tuning FIAT engines at their disposal.I might be wrong but i just can't wrap my head around the idea that FPT does not know to properly tune an engine developed by them.My take of current tuning of FIAT engines especially petrols is that they needed to get rid of fuel guzzler image they had since Palio 1.6 days what do you guys feel ? Please correct me if i am wrong
  4. kaps

kaps Superiore

Power gain by third party tuning has got nothing to do with the ability or lack of it of a manufacturer to tune the engine. State of tune provided by manufacturer is a conscious management decision based on company's idea about consumer requirements. If the company feels that consumer will happily buy a FE tuned car, they will tune it so and if they think consumer wants rip roaring performance, they will tune it so. This is particularly visible after launch of TJet. The power difference between NA and turbo similar engine is phenomenal.

IIRC, Fiat utilises services of Magenti Marelli for establishing their tune states based on Fiat's requirements. It is possible that Kiirus was able to reach a better state of tune within requisite parameters. The problem I see is non-availability of test data on Kiirus tuned engines, i.e. how is the life performance of engine and transmission components after a higher state of tune and how long will they last after enhanced tuning. Probably someone can find out if Fiat is testing cars with Kiirus tuning to establish these parameters. That surely would be an interesting development. :boxer
  5. drifter

drifter Regolare

22 bhp is hard to believe when all the top tuners can't get more than 15bhp on said engine.

regarding the 1.3 block nobody needs to be worried of strain reducing life span. Fiat fits the the Lancia Musa a 105bhp version and has got a 120bhp version on the shelf. The engine has been tuned to German homologation laws boasting a power output of 160bhp.

The reasons for the low output are manifold. The car has to fulfill insurance requirements, homologation requirements, fuel qualities from all over the world. The mixing of different brands of fuel, ambient humidity, ambient air pressure, ambient temperature, Fuel ecoonmy and driving syle.

When re-mapping is done professionally certain parameters can be optimised to the local conditions.

The T-Jet engine can take at least 360Nm of torque and at least 250bhp without upgrading internals. With changing internal the highest done so far was around 360bhp for endurance racing.
  6. amogh

amogh Staff Member Janitor

Grande Punto 1.3
    @drifter : thanks for the info and welcome to TFI :)

btw guys : Isn't it true that for the India Spec Punto the problem actually lies with the gearbox ? If I am not mistaken, we are using a previous generation gearbox which cannot handle more than 210 Nm of torque.
  7. jumu

jumu Superiore

It is more a case of restrictive mapping than incompetence of the gearbox of the GP.. The GPs available in UK are of the same power ratings as in India and I am yet to come accross any case of gearbox failure due to remap or tuning boxes. Normally, the gearboxes are pretty tough engineered components and that is why it goes years of testing ( Fiats new gearbox is under testing and it wont be until 2012 that it will be fitted in the cars )

Fiat straightaway went on to 90 bhp from 75 bhp by using the help of the VGT. If they had touched the mapping even one setting along with the VGT, then torque would have gone up as well and the GP 90 would have flown off the shelves. They didnt ::O If FIAT didnt make that move, we would have been discussing whether even that 15 bhp gain would be hurting for the powertrain :wink:

As for the life of the gear boxes I m sure most components have an acitve 50 % reserve life and more of safety net, and in our moderate hands, its very unlikely that we touch the limits at all and at the most many of us would have it for maybe 5 yrs max. So why worry ? We are actually breaking our head and thinking in all directions as to how to get the best combination at the lowest mod cost for the Best VFM and that is the truth. Correct me if I am wrong.

8. drifter

drifter Regolare

The gearboxes to worry about aren't the Diesel boxes. The FIRE boxes on the normally aspirated versions are the ones that are more likely to break.

However, most of the breaking is done by poor gear changes. I have morethan doubled the power input on some of my FIRE egar boxes with up 70% torque input increse and have not broken a gearbox yet.
  9. Kiirus

Kiirus Guest

I would like to make a correction here.

When we say it does extra 22 bhp, it doesnt mean we tune it for extra what the engine may produce. Thats bad tuning. We keep it safe and the best we've identified is with use of indianoil std quality that would keep smoke under control and hardware safe. we tune for not more than 17/18 bhp and 44-46nm tq increase on most mjd variants. All our cars have been running safe .....and most of them still under warranty!

One first needs understanding how remaps are applied before they make any comment about its detection on warranty cars. Its simply not possible unless specified to the technician. No tools are available for remap detection.

10. drifter

drifter Regolare

I beg to differ. We can do it and have done it many a times with the Millenium system, which is the easiest to use for comparison between original program and re-mapped program.

I don't understand the logic behind the statement of the possibility of making an unsafe increase of 22bhp when in practical terms only 18 will be achieved. In my books this is takimg potential customers for a ride. This is certainly not the way to get my respect. You might not care about this, but then you don't know who I am.