1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

'Khat' sound when turning on AC.

Discussion in 'Technical' started by meples, Apr 1, 2015.

1. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Two questions:
    1. It is normal for your AC to let out a 'khat/metallic clunk' sound when turned on? This is an old
    problem. When I checked with the workshop (KHT), they told me it's normal. I have lived with it, but not been comfortable with it. The sound's annoying and I don't remember hearing it when the car was very new.

2. Immediately after the khat sound, I hear a slight whirl (krrrrrrrrrrr) sound from the
    engine bay. Is it normal too? Because the cabin insulation is good, I have always believed the sound to be coming from speeding bikers on the road. Only recently, while driving at night, I realised the sound was coming from the engine bay.

Having said that, the AC still cools fine and I'm very happy with it otherwise. Just that the
    sound is annoying. Is there a fix?
  2. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The clunk sound is due to A/C clutch engaging.
    check the belt for any damage or tightness for the second issue

Rajeev
  3. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
  4. selwyn.a

selwyn.a Amatore

KA51
    GA01
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    What variant is your GP? If it has auto climate control, it shouldn't be making any clunk sounds when you switch on the AC. I don't get any such sounds, only the engine sound changes due to the increased load.
  5. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @selwyn.a Mine is a Dynamic 1.2. It doesn't have auto climate control.
  6. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    The clicking sound is normal when you switch on the A/C
  7. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Finally I found the source of the 'khat/click' sound. The plate or I don't know what it is called (encircled) spins when the AC is switched on. Is it the AC clutch, which when engaged produces the sound? Sorry if I sound like a noob.

photo.JPG
  8. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yes it is the a/c compressor clutch.
    Check the tightness of that belt

Rajeev
  9. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    @rajeev_pillai Thanks. How can I check the tightness of the belt without visiting a Fiat workshop? How about going to a trusted AC repair guy?
  10. meples

meples Novizio

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Yesterday I was caught in the downpour (it rained heavily in Bangalore), and suddenly in the middle of the drive I heard a strong humming sound from the engine bay. The AC was on. Whenever I accelerated (above 2.5k RPM) the humming sound became louder. So I drove slowly and when I reached home and parked, I saw black fluid flowing out of the front left tyre. I immediately opened the hood and saw water dripping out of this pipe (pic below). Want to know what this pipe is called. The rain water apparently got drained out of this pipe and because it hadn't rained in a long time, the water that came out was black (my assumption). Now my question is, is it supposed to let water drip over the pipes?

hose.png

*Image was taken in the morning today.
    Last edited: Apr 14, 2015