1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Khat Khat noise from front suspension and jerk in steering.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 1, 2012.

1. gpunto75

gpunto75 Regolare

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Hello @limraj
    Today did the following replacements at FNG.
    1. Inner and outer tie rod ends (Sona Rs .1000/- + 890/-)
    2. Strut pads both sides (AMP Rs 3200/-)
    3. Link rods pair ( Sona Rs 840/-)
    Labor 1500/- + Wheel alignment 350/-.
    Had a 5km drive in city area. Didn't notice any major sound from the steering. Also the Knocking sound while driving on speed breakers is not there.
    Need to take the car on long drive. Fingers crossed.
    Will update after some hundred kilometres.

2. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Sounds positive. Do update us after some more usage.
    Your idea of part maker's name is appreciated. Handy when some one searches for replacement.

3. gpunto75

gpunto75 Regolare

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Update after a 250 km highway run. The kr - kr noise is back
    1) on slow speed in traffic
    2) while turning the steering wheel at slow speed
    3) on crossing the speed breaker
    4) while applying the brakes in traffic.
    This has to be steering rack for sure now. What are the economical options. Or shall the steering rack be replaced to finish the issue.
    I have changed the lower arms in march. So the noise can't be due to them. Though I will have a look at those.

4. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Hm... I have not changed the steering rack, Can't suggest anything. Waiting for your experiment and results.

5. gpunto75

gpunto75 Regolare

Nasik
    Grande Punto 1.3
    The steering was wobbling at 80 to 90 kmph speed. Got the lower arms inspected . These were installed in march. These were from an unreputed aftermarket brand. Both Ball joints were damaged within 5k kms. The rubber coverings were torn. I feel sorry for my Punto. I shouldn't have gone for these. The steering rack, tyres and other suspension were put to risk. With driving only the addiction, I shouldn't have messed up this. No more unreputed brand for me now. And won't recommend to others either.
    Anyway got original lower arms installed. Have done 70 km run on highway with all sorts of speed breakers and potholes. And my Punto is back to business. No noise. No wobbling. Thank God it was not the steering rack. Nice smooth drive on 1k kms old Mobil Delvac 1.
    Will have a good sleep tonight.

limraj likes this.
  6. limraj

limraj Esperto

Trivandrum / Bangalore
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you for the update. Good to know that now your Punto is doing business as usual.
    Lesson for everyone to stick to original spares or reputed brands.