1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Khat Khat noise from front suspension and jerk in steering.

Discussion in 'Exteriors / Body' started by nitinkumardba, Apr 1, 2012.

1. chandu525

chandu525 Amatore

Bangalore
    I exactly had the same problem, I went to Pride Cars last Saturday and Met Harish, He opened both the shocks, Greased them Properly, Fitted the Hose to the Spring which gets in contact with metal , Refitted them back again, Now No Noise, I was amazed, TASS rep at AAdya motors even did not consider this as a problem, He said noise is common as all the Suspension springs are pressed when Car moves over a pot holed road, I did not argue with him, But Harish solved the issue.

In this process I got to Know that there is white Bush at the Bottom of the Strut just above the oil seal, This was not there in the left shock absorber strut, He said I have to replace the Whole shock absorber rod, I am looking if anybody has a replaced shock which is left unused so that I can extract only the While Bush and get it fitted in my car. He said the only chance it gets chopped off is during extreme impact, I could relate the same to incident when I drove over pothole during my factory visit, Where the left front tyre was punctured and I had to replace it, I felt during that act this bush has also chopped off.

Please let me know if anybody has a left over shock absorber, I thank Sat-Chit-Ananda for his support in helping me in this issue
    2 people like this.
  2. Glad that your problem is fixed now, did you talk to SA Gopal of Concorde ?
  3. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    i have the same sound when going over potholes. they say change the link rods which i am ready to replace. came across this thread so why not try. can you clarify what do you mean by what you have qouted. thanks
  4. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    Hi Guys,

I own a Grande Punto which has now gone for servicing at Fortune Motors, Andheri after 3 years / 27 kms. i've notcing the same khat khat problem while turning the steering. got it fixed last year as the SA diagnosed a problem with the strut mounting. The problem has resurfaced again & SA (Vinod) at Fortune motors has given the following estimate
    strut 3000 + 1800 (Labour)
    Linkage 3000+780 (Labour)
    Replacement of brakepads 3000 + Labour

He has given an estimate of around 25000 just for the servicing which is not covered under waranty. I'm concerned if he is trying to rip me off or it is a correct diagnosis. The car is fabulous but if the servicing expenses are so high after 3 yrs of ownership, I'm deeply concerned. I've also sent a mail to mangesh asking him if a Fiat engineer can examine the problem & confirm if the diagnosis is correct. Please help me guys
  5. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Just for Khat Khat noise 25K INR he is clearly ripping you off. has he done the diagnosis ? he is sure that the sound is created due to the above said parts ?
    better you check it with FIAT exclusive service center as well.

brake pads change is according to driving style of the individual and 27K Kms is normal i believe.
  6. Khat-Khat noise is due to improper fitting of the suspension/filling strut mount with grease,go to local mechanic to remove the whole thing fir it back properly, this should not cost you more then Rs 1000/-, if you want to talk please call 9945112233 Harish he can guide you well.
  7. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    Woudn't going to a local mechanic risk the waaranty clause? The work has already begun as advised by SA. I was initially okay wid the strut problem being fixed by replacement as I was under the impression that it would fix the issue . Now he says that linkage also has a problem to whcih i have asked him to put it on hold & have sent a mail to mangesh for get it inspected by a 3rd person.

Regarding the brakepads, he said it is worn out but I don't feel any loss of braking power. Since the car has run 27kms I was okay with it.
  8. How will they find out that you went some local mechanic ?
  9. winimation

winimation Amatore

Mumbai
    I'm in Mumbai & I don't know any good mechanic who can work on a Punto. Any pointers?
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  10. me_at_fiat

me_at_fiat Regolare

Mumbai, Pune
    @Sat-Chit-ananda,

from last few months i am noticing some diff sound from the front suspensions. Whenever i rotate the steering to the extreme left or right i hear some kind of rubbery sound. Also, whenever i pass through pot holes or say speed breaker i hear/feel like some rubber part is getting squeezed. at high speed it does add to the light vibrations to the steering. ASS says i need to change the shock mountings and it will be sorted out. This will cost me around 3k(parts)+600-700 bucks. I don't have any problem in spending this money but some how i am not sure if this will really solve my problem.

Can you help with the diagnosis? Did you experience the same problem?
    :confused: