1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Kerala Drive Plan - Queries

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by VahanPujari, Nov 15, 2014.

1. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    Thanks Ramesh & vayfiat.

Good that I added 1 day at Wayanad then. :)

I'm not sure about whether kids (and us too :) ) will be able to do Chembrta trek. Guess it's 1.5 hour trek?
  2. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I suggest to avoid treks if you have small kids. BTW, where are you staying in Wayanad? That is the key here. :)
    VahanPujari likes this.
  3. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    There is a short trek till a view-point, past which trekkers will start climbing the hill. People with kids usually go till this point. It will be refreshing to walk in the middle of tea estates.
    --- Double Post Merged, Dec 3, 2014 ---
    Photos I've clicked are not with me. But the link below will give you an idea. "Watch Tower" as mentioned in the photos is the end point of the short trek.
    http://www.kotresh.com/index.php/chembra-peak-trek
    VahanPujari likes this.
  4. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Most probably, at Mermalade Springs resort.

Quite scenic views, vayfiat.
    However, I'm sure my wife won't allow kids to walk thro' those narrow trail amidst greeneries / grass.

BTW, saw your Ladakh pics also in that link. Nice pics:)
  5. vayfiat

vayfiat Amatore

Bangalore
    Hi Amit,

First thing: that link is not mine - some link I got from Google. :)

The trail till Watch Tower is not a narrow one. It is wide enough for cars to go. There are forest guards nearby and you will be given a guide with whom you will walk. These guys are quite friendly and helpful. Nothing to get panic there. There is a forest office before you reach Watch Tower where they grow wild orchid plants on trees. More on the positive side - your kids will learn and breathe nature. :)
    VahanPujari likes this.
  6. rainy

rainy Amatore

Bangalore
    I've climbed the Chembra a few years ago, and be rest assured that it's quite safe. With children, though, as mentioned you can always walk up to the Watch Tower as it is quite nice. It will be an interesting walk for the children if they're so inclined.
    VahanPujari likes this.
  7. Mabams1826

Mabams1826 Amatore

Erode
    ERODE
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Hi Vahan ! Great to go through your plans that really is very exciting to read.Well I live in Erode and was in Kerala ( CALICUT) from 96- 2002. In fact I had driven to Munnar and waynad as well as Masanagudi.
    So here is my take on your trip. Personally its bit hectic in the starting leg, you have to be aware that since its Dec, it becomes dark faster than it used to be in the previous years and by 6. 30 its total dark.In morning its quite misty so pls remember to be safe. In Munnar it might be even more pronounced and it will be very cold so pack enough thermal wear for the kids especially and family.
    Pls don't have the time factor to reach a destination while you are riding.
    The route suggested by ramjin is very accurate one for Valparai. I am native of Anaimalai which 15 km from Pollochi and go there once in 2 to 3 months. Palladam Pollachi road is slightly out of shape in some parts because of good monsoon we had this time around, pls feel free for any assistance.
    Have a safe trip.
    VahanPujari likes this.
  8. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    ^^
    Thanks guys for the suggestions & help extended. The planning is now in the Final stage :)

EDIT: ....and plotting of route maps in Sygic starts from tomorrow (done in Google Maps):)
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2014
  9. cliffhanger

cliffhanger Amatore

madras
    Let me tell you something that I follow on trips. On leisure trips, where the idea is to stay in one place and just while away, we generally don't mind at what time we wake up each day. But on trips, such as what you have planned, it will be best if you all can wake up early in the morning, freshen up and setup for breakfast by 7. That way you can split visiting places from 7.30 to 1 and 2.30 to rest of the day. At the end of the day, you will feel like you experienced so much on the day.

The excitement of seeing new visuals, places and sceneries will wash away the early morning crankiness in no time.

So include waking up early in your plan too.
  10. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Yes. Almost 3-4 days, my departure time is scheduled as 6.00 AM. Only for the last few days when I'll be travelling short distances like Wayanad-Ooty-Mysore etc, the departure time is not before 7 AM.

All Set to get going day after (or may be tomorrow evening :) )

The following is the snapshot of route plan derived with the help of HVK and inputs from ramjn in this thread.

Day 1: Reach Krishnagiri

Day 2: Krishnagiri - Salem - Peruntharai - Kangeyam - Palladam - Pollachi - Valparai - Malakkipara - Sholyar - Athirapalli - Vettilapara - Chalakudy - just before Angamally

Day 3: Chalakudy - Mala - Kondugallur - Cherai Beach

Day 4: Cherai - Chalakudy - Angamally - Perumbavur - Kothamangalam - Neriamangalam - Adimali - Munnar - Chinnakanal

Day 5: Munnar Circuit

Day 6: Munnar - Periakanal - Poopara - Udumbansola - Nedumkandam Byepass - Puliyanmala - Vandanamedu - Puttady - Thekkady - Vandiperiyar - Pambanar - Kuttikanam - Kanjirapalli - Vazhoor JN - Karukechal - Changanaserry - Alleppey

Alternate route is Puliyanmala to Kuttikanam directly byepassing Thekkady. We'll see the time constraints on that day and decide which one to follow.

Day 7: Alleppey - Cherthala - Kochi/Ernakulam Byepass - Aluva BP - Angamally - Chalakudy - Thrissur BP - Palakkad - Mannarkad - Perinthalmanna - Pandikkad - Wandoor - Nilambur - Edakara - Vazhikadavu - Nadugani - Cherambadi - Vaduvanchal (detour of Edakkal Caves which we might not do) - Meppadi - (if we're not late in reaching Meppadi, then cover Sujipara Falls & Chembra Peak Base camp) - Kalpetta - Marmalade Springs

Day 8: Wayanad Circuit.... Marmalade Springs - Kalpetta - Banasura - Kuruva Island - Sultan Bathery - Marmalade Springs

Day 9: Marmalade - Meppadi - Vaduvanchal - Cherambadi - Nadugani - Gudalur - Naduvattam - Pykara Dam - Kalhatti - Ooty

Cover Ooty Nilgiris Circuit the same day

Day 10: Ooty - Masinagudi - Gudlupet - Begur - Nanjangud - Mysore

Day 11: Mysore to Hiriyur either by Bangalore route OR preferably by direct route thro' Pandavpura - Jakanahalli - Nagamangala - Bellur - Mayasandra - Turuvekere - Kibbenhalli Cross - Huliyar - Hiriyur (how's the condition of this route?)......and then proceed to Mumbai

Going to be a hectic trip :p
    ramjn and cliffhanger like this.