1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Karrrr sound and jerk when applying reverse gear.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nitinkumardba, Mar 18, 2011.

1. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Try it . grinding noise will be there. ::D :evilsmile
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    @marvin

reverse gear cannot be engaged while car is running...ur gear stick wont allow u at all...as bhai said even if it slots to the slightest there will be krrrrrrrrr sound...
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

I told about karrrrrr sound and jerk to Elegant cars over phone few days back. Today, I received a call from them and was told that they are placing order for pressure plates for my car.

I think they will get part in a week time. Let C, how it goes.
  4. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Nitin
    Afte replacing clutch kit,ensure that they have adjusted gear cables properly. After changing Clutch Assly.of my car,
    my reverse gear started to drag. I had to pull shifter leaver for slotting it in reverse position. And there there was abnormal noise was also there.

Reverse gear should be engage without any whisper.

Dealer adjusted cables . Problem sloved. So enusure this.
  5. dev

dev

Mysore
    All,

Gear shifting is not smooth, I need to find the spot for the Gear to be engaged when moving 5th to 4th and from 2nd to 3rd Gear. The clutch was also getting hard so
    I got the Clutch Assembly changed as recommended by the TASS.

After that, Clutch is Smooth, but Gear shifting has not changed much. I still have issues when changing from 5th to 4th and 2nd to 3rd. Sometimes I need to search for the slot when changing the gear from 5th to 4th.

Please advice.
  6. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Get the gear cable checked/ lubed. That will help you out.

Also, post a query in one thread only. I have deleted the other two identical posts.

Cheers.
  7. suresheadala

suresheadala Timido

Hyderabad
    Hi all, I have similar problem in my 2 months old 1400km ran 90HP. 2nd and reverse gear won't get engaged some times(30/40%). It makes "karrrr" sound when I release the clutch. I had to press the gear knob again to get the gear engaged. I had to shift the second gear little harder to make sure it gets engaged in the first attempt. Same with reverse gear. Rest all gears are perfectly alright.
    What could be the problem?
  8. zenwalker

zenwalker Esperto

Bangalore
    ^^,
    Its pretty common in reverse gear (Krrr) sound some times even in my car which is just 1.5 month old 1.6k run. There are other guys who are having similar problem in their 2 year old cars too. Just re-do the same gear shift if you hear krrrr while taking reverse. It will go away.
  9. suresheadala

suresheadala Timido

Hyderabad
    Thanks for the swift response. It is manageable in the reverse gear, but the 2nd gear not getting engaged is giving tough time in traffic.
  10. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Zenwalker bhai, Gear grinding in reverse is 99.9% user error, 0.1% mechanical error (if your clutch is healthy). It is not something which is a mechanical fault.

Gears will grind if you try and slot the gear lever in reverse before the vehicle has come to an absolutely stationary stop. The owner's manual specifies waiting a few seconds after depressing the clutch lever for a reason - to let the input shaft stop spinning which makes reverse gear selection far easier.

Follow a few good practices and you will never grind the reverse gear.

Cheers.
    2 people like this.