1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Karrrr sound and jerk when applying reverse gear.

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by nitinkumardba, Mar 18, 2011.

1. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

My punto is suffering from karrrrrrrr sound and jerk whenever I engage reverse gear. Its happening with 50% attempts. Also whenever this sound comes, gear becomes tight too. I use to press clutch fully but still this is happening.

To avoid this, I need to engage reverse very slowly slowly. This slow way is not at all normal and can't be used normally.

Also 1st gear is also getting tight.

Any clue about this, I doubt clutch is the culprit and should not be covered under warrenty. Any idea what be the reason and cost involved in resolution.
  2. pioneeraaron

pioneeraaron Superiore

Mulund/Mumbai
    faulty clutch assembly...i used to have this sound very frequently while engaging reverse...after gettin a new clutch assy the sound has 75% vanished and shifts smoothly...also check CSC(clutch slave cylinder)...is it the plastic or the aluminium one?? tell TASS to bleed the clutch..i got my clutch assy under warranty @ 4200kms..get ur car checked by a FIAT technician...tell TASS to arrange a technician from FIAT..dont get ur car checked by the TATA technician they are all the same and wudnt acknowledge ur problems..let us know the updates as u get to know wts goin on...cheers!!
  3. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Thank you Pioneeraaron,

But as I rember, Clutch assembly, should not get covered under warrenty. We've to pay for this.

Also, once I was check my car history in SC, I say that my CVC was changed in Rama Motors but that parts name was showing word "Diesel" in the name whicle mine is Petrol 1.2 active.

I asked about this and was told by Elegant that part is same and no issue with this name.

I am afraid that this can be the issue.
  4. rajatoswal

rajatoswal

Vadodara
    I had a similar problem.
    Initially it was the reverse gear krrrrrr sound and later on all gears were extremely stiff.
    Fiat changed the complete clutch pressure plate and clutch cylinder sleeve under warranty.
    No problems after that.
  5. Grandeur

Grandeur Staff Member Janitor

It's a issue with your clutch assembly. I got my Clutch Slave Cylinder changed at around 8K and later after driven 40,000 Km I got complete clutch assembly changed because of the same issue as reported by you.

If you are still under 5k-8k KM run than try to get under warranty.
  6. vIjAy_kHaSa

vIjAy_kHaSa Esperto

Panchkula
    Even I get krr krrr sound sometimes while engaging reverse.
    Solution to this is to engage reverse gear as stated in User manual of car i.e. engage the reverse gear after 2 seconds of pressing the clutch pedal.
  7. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Engage the reverse ONLY when the car is fully stationary. If the car is moving, howsoever slowly, it'll cause the gears to grind and cause that sound.

Try it.
  8. bhai

bhai Esperto

Ahmednagar
    Grande Punto 1.3 90 HP
    Wrong information. Only burnt clutch are not liable to get warrantee.
    For other clutch problems you have right to get clutch Assly. replaced in warrantee.
    I also got clutch replaced in warrantee @33000 KM. Many members have got clutch replaced in warrantee.
    Just yesterday one member of teamfiat got clutch Assly.+ CSC in warrantee. ::D

As per the FIAT owner's manual,for smooth shift of Reverse gear ,take a pause of 2 Sec. after pressing clutch paddle fully. & follow instruction given by Gurjinder
  9. nitinkumardba

nitinkumardba Superiore

Thank you guys for your suggestion and information. I'll take this issue with TASC.
  10. marvin patrick gray

marvin patrick gray Amatore

Lucknow
    Guys let me ask one stupid question here..

Lets say the car is moving at around 60kmph in 4th gear and in the process of applying the fifth, the driver puts it into the reverse gear slot, What will happen ?
    :steering :steering :steering :steering :punch :punch :punch