1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Karbon a18

Discussion in 'Gadgets / Electronics / Laptops' started by Ganges, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Dont know about that.... May be Yes... with .1 version difference new name have been given.

gurjinder,
    A100 is not phone rather its phablet,its very big to handle and need to be very carefull with the large screen.Thats for sure 8MP is far behind in such low budgeted phones as compared to the standard.

kaps,
    please post your experience asap.
  2. vishnu's

vishnu's Amatore

Ganges:

I just had time for quick look at my friends Phone. i will list pros and cons and a comparo with my HTC Inc S as both have same processor speed.

Pros:
    super Looks, much above its price tag

large sreen larger that my Inc S :)

smooth touch screen, no lag may be because there is no heavy custom UI for the CPU to handle.

500 MB phone memory and an additional 2 GB built in memory which can free up lot of Phone memory. also option for 32GB external SD card

I didn't play much games, only tried Fruit Ninja, runs super smooth.

Dual Sim stand by. no need to switch between sim, just dial and pick the operator.

camers are ok. we can't expect the quality of high end phones. front camera is decent. rear cam supports 720p video recording. I forget to check which format it got stored. Also was not able to check low light snaps.

internet access is super smooth so is youtube.

Video call thru network provider.

Cons:

Battery life was @ 30% today morning with almost 7 hours of use. We used it pretty heavily as it was new :) and Dual stand by wont help either. may be it will improve when we disable the background data and with normal usage. will go on for a day, but at the end of the day keep the charger always ready. :)

display looks less vibrant when compared to my HTC Inc S. Am i asking too much? not sure :)

back panal is gloss finish is a finger print magnet.

i tried an HD video(Avengers Trailer) it is mentioned as 1080p HD, the stock video player was able to play it but it was struggling to keep the video and audio together. I mentioned this coz with simillar spec my Inc S was able to play it without any issues.

sound quality is ok thru head phones.didn't get a chance to check with the OE headset. also high bit rate audio is a no go.

the stock UI is real boring. may be i am spoiled by HTC sense :)

go for it only if u are on tight budget and its real urgent. Or wait till u get enough fund (may be 15K) and get better phone.

R,
    Vishnu
  3. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Vishnu,
    that was very much in detail review,many thanks...
    if i have to strecth the budget with similar feature as of Karbonn A18 then it would be the brand Samsung Galaxy S Duos S7562 which is whooping 17900 INR....

Have you checked the Wifi - hotspot ?
  4. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Finally ended up with Karbonn A18 @ 9800 INR

---------- Post added at 09:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:45 PM ----------

Today tried with 720hp in my handset, plays very nicely and the IPS screen also have some nice appeal/brightness/contrast...

Never used myselves with such big screen 4.3 inches,my previous was NOKIA 5800 Express music...

Tried with temple run awesome also angry birds seems like very much angry :D

will post some more views as days pass on...

Yeah ,it was like goodbye Symbian :(

P.S:- This is my first android phone,so its hard for me to comment about the lag/speed and comparisons...
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  5. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Congrats!

720hp is surely one powerful video :)
    1 person likes this.
  6. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    gurjinder,
    ahahhha...
    thanks for pointing out.... hp .....
    it was not typo error :D
  7. johnny

johnny Regolare

Greater Noida
    Greater Noida
    Grande Punto 1.3
    A slightly off topic query: Has anyone got the Micromax A78 (dual sim, QWERTY, android 2.3), and more important, have you tried to root it?

If yes, will be grateful for a 'howto'. I basically want to get rid of most of the 'crapware'.

'Androot' did not work, and 'Superoneclick' hangs saying 'device not recognised.....' or some such message. So, what next???

Regards
    Johnny
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Can anyone suggest me pouch/cover for the piece Karbonn A18 ,i'm unable to find, it has 4.3 inch display or please suggest anyother brands cover...
    also i want to get the screen guard scratch free ?
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  9. kaps

kaps Superiore

Arakkonam
    Got mine A18 today. First impressions: for 9K, it is a peach of a product. BUT, if you are coming from the iphone/samsung ecosystem, you will most likely snigger, which will evaporate as soon as you work this phone. A 4.3" IPS screen at 9K with a pre-rooted custom ROM is drool as far as I am concerned and something anyone looking to tinker android will find too. The screen isn't too bright and the contrast ratio isn't too great, but remember, it isn't a super AMOLED HD screen. Viewing angles are good since this is IPS screen.

1GHz processor and 512 MB RAM are on offer which more or less takes care of your everyday needs. I have run Temple Run, Angry Birds and Zombirds on this thus far and performance is similar to my galaxy tab. Haven't experienced any lag. This phone isn't a pretender and does what it is meant to do efficiently. I've already installed superuser elite and deep exploration is now possible. Apex Launcher has added to the functionality a lot as the stock launcher is just plain vanilla.

ICS 4.04 is quite Ok for me and the provision of hardware buttons for home, back and settings is a better idea, saving screen space. These buttons are offered as part of software on Micromax A100 and take away screen space. Camera is 5MP which is good enough for taking contact pictures and storing in phone book. Call quality is quite decent and connection with my Bluetooth headset as well as with blue&me has been flawless.

Frankly, for 9K I wasn't expecting much, but this phone is a surprise package. It is total bang for the buck and does things the 40K phone is supposed to do, with elan and without any fuss.
    1 person likes this.
  10. abmat

abmat

Bangalore
    This is not directly related to Karbonn A18 , but i thought might as well give a try here. I recently bought a karbon A9+ ( Karbonn A9+ (Pearl White) - Buy Karbonn A9+ (Pearl White) Online at Best Price in India: Comparison, Ratings, Reviews, Specifications of Branded Mobiles: Flipkart.com) which is an Android ICS phone. While i am pretty happy with the phone , it has not been able to work with Blue & Me on my Sep 2012 punto. The phone pairs after entering the pin code , but then gets the error message "unfortunately the process com.android.phone has stopped' . Blue & Me does not prompt for copying phone book etc afterwards and the phone resets network connectivity etc everytime i try to connect to Blue & Me. My earlier Android Gingerbread phone used to work well with Blue & Me . My friends ICS phone works with Blue & Me. Also my phone is able to connect to other Bluetooth devices , the problem is only with Blue & Me .

Did anyone else who owns karbonn A18 has faced this problem ? Any pointers would be appreciated !