1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Karans' Punto Evo

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by Karan, Aug 9, 2016.

1. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    This is going to be my first ownership review. Pardon me if there are some mistakes. First of all, I didn't wanted to write up any review, but the way you guys doing the review for your cars with an enthusiasm made me to change my decision. I will startup with my initial researches and the buying experience and I will try my level best to keep the details crisp :)

An unexpected Journey towards Punto -
    IMG-7.jpg

My initial requirement was to buy a hatchback petrol car with basic safety features like ABS, EBD and airbags with a budget of 6.5-7L but not beyond that. Reason for a petrol car is that my monthly run wouldn't exceed 750 kms, but rarely I would take some long trip. So I felt a petrol car would suffice me.

Initial considerations were Baleno, Elite i20 and Polo (yes, PUNTO was not in my list).
    Polo was my first option as I loved the steering feedback and the short clutch and gear. The interiors felt so premium in Polo. But I had to reject it due to the high maintenance cost of VW cars.

Then I checked the Elite i20. After the Polo, the car which I loved the most for its style and look was the elite i20. The steering feedback was nothing great, but the interior was very nice. While it came to price, only Era and Magna variants were within my budget, but they had only airbags but not ABS, EBD. Only sportz and Asta variant had ABS and EBD as well, but they were beyond my budget. So I had to drop this option.

Then comes the Baleno petrol. Though the look was not the best when compared to Polo and Elite i20, it has all the basic features that we use day-to-day(like auto climate control, rear AC vent, parking sensor, steering mounted control, rear wiper and power windows etc) in delta variant. Its cost was around 6.9L and within my budget. The waiting period for Baleno was around 6 months at Chennai. Then I came to know that NEXA showroom was opened just few days back in Madurai and assumed the waiting time will be lower. So I went there and took a test drive of Baleno. I liked the interiors as well but not so great. Rear leg room space was adequate and on par with that of Nissan Sunny. Boot space was adequate too. NVH levels were also very low and the steering felt very light to handle. But no, I will not compare with Polo. Though it had loads of features and space, my only concern was the safety. It weighs 100 kg lesser than a Swift and I was on a mixed mindset to take up the decision whether to go with Baleno or not. Even the door felt feather light while closing. Elite i20 felt to be better built. As the waiting period in Madurai was told to be atmost 3 months, I booked Baleno on Feb 28th and thought of exploring other options(if any) in the mean while. More over the RM at NEXA showroom told the booking amount is fully refundable(that's an added advantage for me).

During the next week, while discussing about my Baleno booking and the concern about safety, one of my team mates told that his friend has a Punto and that car feels so solid and the high speed stability in Punto cannot be matched with any cars in this segment. When he told about this, my mind thought about the pre-facelift Punto. Believe me guys, at that point I didn't even know that grande Punto had a facelift called Punto evo. Or may be I would have even seen them on road but haven't noticed much in detail because to be frank, I was not a fan of grande Punto. Only after I started to google about the Punto, I came to know about the Punto evo and the looks were so refreshing than the older Punto IMO. I compared them online with Baleno, i20 and Polo and found all the positives and negatives. Except for the turning radius and boot space, I felt Punto had an upper hand over the paper. One sad part is that only the diesel top variant Emotion pack had all the safety features(ABS, EBD and air bags). So thought of stopping the online research and deal with this the next day at showroom.

As my teammate told about Punto, I insisted him to accompany me to the FIAT showroom for a test drive. On March 3rd, we went to Ramkay Fiat at Velachery. A white color Punto evo was at the display. Evo looks were so refreshing in live than the images from net. The interior felt average except for the soft leather that was placed on the passenger side with an ambient light. When I sat inside and closed the door, the loud 'Thud'(as told by many about the European build) gave a solid built feel similar to Polo. Boot seems to be manageable. Rear leg room was not so good. But some how I started to like this car and I scolded myself for not having a look at this car earlier.

After looking at the car for about 15 mins, the RM arranged for a test drive and the moment I sat on the car and started to drive, I could feel the entire car on the steering. It was such a feel which I am unable to express. The steering felt so perfect. I liked it even more than Polo. The brakes were so nice and powerful too. As that was noon time, the link road opposite to Velachery station was empty and I thought I was driving at 40kmph but when I saw the speedometer, I realised that I was actually driving at 70kmph. The speed is masked in such a way and I loved it.

After the test drive, I was double impressed with Punto evo and wanted to book this car. Like I saw in the net, ABS, EBD and airbags were available only in the Emotion variant of diesel. I was very much disappointed as the price for the same was 8.69L on road. The offers available at that time was that they would provide all necessary accessories with seat covers and insurance. I had to hold this option for now.

Then started to research more about the after sale service of Fiat from friends, through online, at the showroom, team bhp ownership review and finally at team Fiat as well. I must admit that team Fiat gave more confidence based on few reviews that I have read.

I was in a confusion for around one month whether to go for Baleno or Punto as my only concern was to extend my budget if I had to choose Punto. It was like a tug of war between both the cars. Hasstle free MASS vs mysterious FASS, very poor build quality vs built like a tank, more space in interior vs not so spacious interior, light weight steering feedback vs Perfect steering feedback and of course Petrol vs Diesel. Though Baleno petrol and Punto diesel had more or less similar fuel efficiency.

Then I decided to extend the budget considering the fact that I am planning to use the car for more than 5 years and that I should not regret for the next 5 years that I am rejecting a safer car. So finalized Punto evo considering the safety and the service centre availability at Chennai and Madurai(my home town). By March end, the price was increased for Evo, thanks to the budget plan'16. When enquired about the discounts, Ramkay Fiat were providing 70k cash discount including a comprehensive insurance. On April 4th, I booked Punto Evo 1.3 Emotion at Ramkay Fiat. Again a confusion in color as I liked all the colors in Punto evo. Finally decided upon Tuscan Wine. As the color was not available at their stockyard, they had to order it and told it will take around 10-15 days for the car to reach. On April 15th, RM told that the vehicle will arrive on 19th and he will arrange a PDI either on the same day or the next day. As informed earlier, the car arrived on 19th evening and I was asked to do a PDI on 20th. So I went around noon and did a PDI based on the checklist from Team Fiat. Everything looked okay. The odo showed H20 kms as the car was driven to the stockyard. I insisted that I would take the delivery of the car on Apr 25.

Few clicks during PDI.
    IMG_20160420_172220.jpg
    IMG_20160420_172254.jpg
    IMG_20160420_172310.jpg

April 25 - The D-day. Yes, it's the Delivery day ;) I reached the showroom around 5.30 pm along with my family. Once we reached, our new car was waiting and key was handed over to us. Then all the features and the details were explained to us, followed by a cake cutting. It took almost 2 hours and then we started directly to a temple. It was a great pleasure riding my new car and I drove through different routes on the day of purchase as I loved driving Punto.

From that day till today, the moment when I enter Punto, start the engine and drive, the feel which I get is unexplainable. :cool::)
  2. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats on your Punto. Just a correction: Punto has a normal turning radius (5m) which is at par with Kwid and lesser than i20 (5.1m)
    Murphy_Fiat, Karan and prabhjot like this.
  3. Dinesh Kumar

Dinesh Kumar Novizio

Coimbatore
    Bangalore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Congrats on your new car Karan and welcome to Fiat club. Tuscan wine is a premium color which was in my mind as well.
    Karan likes this.
  4. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    Thanks guys.

And regarding the turning radius, I guess I saw 5.2m for Punto though I couldn't recollect the source. Sorry about that.
  5. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    It was 5.4 mm when Grande Punto was launched, but I guess, 2012 onwards, it was reduced to 5 mm.
  6. Deepak

Deepak Regolare

KA-30
    Bengaluru
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    " I sat on the car and started to drive, I could feel the entire car on the steering" - that's the same reason I'm owning a fiat.
    Steering feedback, high speed cornering , sharp breaks and unmatched suspension- these are Punto's strengths. Welcome to Fiat family. Wish you loads of hapiness \m/
    Murphy_Fiat, PradeepM and Karan like this.
  7. Karan

Karan Novizio

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3
    After 15 days from delivery, I went on a long trip Chennai-Madurai-Thekkady and return. The long drive from Chennai-Madurai gave a fuel efficiency of 21.0kmpl and I maintained 90km/hr for most of the journey as the car's odo was less than 1000 km. Driving in highways is the best part of Punto evo. I didn't feel tired and the driving position was also comfortable which I have set on the day of purchase. However, I feel there is a mild pull towards the left while cruising in highways. Need to check the wheel alignment during my first service.

The audio quality feels good with nice bass. But adding a sub would make it even better. :DOne thing I hate the most is changing the folders while playing songs. Only the person who drives the car has to change it. Its a real pain. To overcome this, I have removed all the average/bad/sad songs from my pen drive and play the entire collection in shuffle mode. ;)

Within Thekkady hill station I was getting a mileage of 12kmpl. I thought fuel efficiency will increase while driving within city when the car has clocked 5k kms as mentioned by few Fiatians.

Few clicks taken during Thekkady visit -
    IMG-1.JPG IMG-2.JPG IMG-3.JPG IMG-4.JPG IMG-5.JPG IMG-6.JPG IMG-8.JPG IMG-9.JPG

By July, my Punto was close to 3000kms. During a heavy traffic at Velachery Vijayanagar signal, one among the rash irresponsible auto drivers came fast and hit the ORVM at the passenger side. When I went and saw, the mirror cap was broken and the auto driver just went away as that lane was moving at the time. So I couldn't catch that fellow. Afterwards when I checked the ORVM, the indicator, temperature gauge and the electrical adjustments were working fine. So it was a bit of relief for me. The next day I went to Ramkay Fiat service centre and asked for the spare part. It's good that they had the mirror cap individually(Have seen in many service centre where the guys will ask us to replace the entire ORVM in this case which is unnecessary). The cost was Rs.154.

Till now, most of my driving was within Chennai city and I have seen gradual increase in the fuel efficiency. It has come a long way from 12kmpl to 15.3 kmpl. Right now, my Punto has clocked 3600 km and soon he will be going for the first service.
  8. Turbothinghy

Turbothinghy Superiore

Pune
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Don't worry about the FE. Enjoy the drive and the FE would get better with time.
    Karan and PradeepM like this.
  9. Harsha89

Harsha89 Amatore

Coimbatore
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Regarding the sound quality of the music system, edit the sound profile from the settings of the media player, in user profile, set the bass and sub bass to a minimum and increase the mids to maximum and treble to medium..I did this and got amazing sq with good separation of instruments and decent sound stage. The rear speakers aren't that good, the front ones are more than adequate, in the future, a rear speaker upgrade would make the experience even better. Your pics look amazing, Tuscan Wine is a nice colour, but a bit tough to maintain the sheen I guess, just like black. Enjoy the car, drive safe and let FIAT guide you by your hand into automotive ecstasy :)
    Karan likes this.
  10. carl_jhonson

carl_jhonson Amatore

Chennai
    Punto Evo 1.3 90 HP
    Regarding changing songs, if you are using a pen drive to play songs, you can create separate playlists in your usb and then select the desired playlist from your HU / steering or voice control. I use this to create USB playlists - http://www.oddgravity.com/ Just make sure that the song paths are relative i.e without the windows drive letters
    Balu Chandra S, Karan and KPR like this.