1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

KA Reg to KL Reg car. How to renew Insurance?

Discussion in 'Insurance & Loan Reviews' started by limraj, Aug 11, 2015.

1. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Folks,

My other car, a KA 05 registered WagonR (2004 Model, Vxi Petrol)'s insurance expires on 2015 Aug 19 midnight. I should get a new insurance from 20th Aug. However, I have applied for re-registration of the car in KL. I thought of renewing the insurance with new registration number. I have not got the new registration number yet, the chances of it coming before the expiry of current insurance (19 Aug) is very slim. [All formalities of NOC, road tax payment in KL, vehicle inspection etc are done. New registration number allocation and their sending of new RC to home is pending].

Can I renew the insurance with current registration number and later convert that to new registration number? Or should I wait till new registration and then take insurance, though the policy may lapse for few days or weeks?

Appreciate your help.
  2. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    You can renew the insurance with the old registration no as of now to avoid the insurance lapse. Later you can get the insurance changed once you receive the new registration number by providing the new RC copy, old RC copy and old Insurance policy document. You might be charged a nominal fee for the same.
    limraj likes this.
  4. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    Thank you.
    I'll wait 5 more days (until 18th). If I do not get the RC info, I shall renew the insurance now and later change to new registration.
  5. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    I believe you can go ahead with renewing your insurance with the KA RC itself. Once you are done with the KL registration, you can go for amending your Insurance policy.
  6. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    I've renewed the insurance. Enquired at KL RTO office and they said, it would take atleast a month since vehicle inspection & document submission, as they have to contact the base RTO in KA and then they have to get clearance from Crime records bureau.
  7. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    It has been 4 months since I submitted application. RTO office says they have to follow their own procedure. ie, verification from Crime Records Bureau => This is not required as per policy. Policy says issue the registration immediately and if there are some issues reports from NCRB, withdraw the registration.
    I also mentioned to them the Crime records check was done while issuing NOC from Bangalore. Still no go. I have to wait with no definite period. Our red-tape system !!!
  8. RaviHegde

RaviHegde Regolare

Karnataka
    14.62°N 74.85°E
    Grande Punto 1.4
    You don't need to wait indefinitely. According to procedure it is considered to be "no objection" if there is no information from the source RTO within a stipulated time (I remember 3 or 6 months) That is what happened when I applied for KA registration for my car which had MH registration. I had obtained NOC from MH RTO which was thrown into dust bin by KA RTO. KA RTO took all information, completed the inspection too, but allocated registration number after few months.
  9. harryaviator

harryaviator Regolare

kochi
    kochi
    Linea 1.3
    Having an NOC in itself is a clear indication that your records have been verified at KA. you are being taken for an unnecessary ride. think about (think aloud in their vicinity) an RTI about the procedure and timeline for change of regn. that seems to work these days more than the old system of "under the table".
  10. limraj

limraj Superiore

Trivandrum
    Linea 1.3
    @harryaviator, @RaviHegde,

6 months is what the RTO office says the stipulated duration (ie, 2 more months left). But, this could vary, as the RTO follows their own process (I did not bribe them). RTI is a nice option, I will surely consider that direction after 2 more months.
    Thinking loud from their premises is a difficult one, as the RTO is far (about 30+ kms from home and office). I will end up wasting half a day at least (they are open only after 10AM). However, I have spent some 6-7 visit to RTOs and other places already.
    Currently, there is a tax paid for KL sticker in my car and usually other registration cars are not stopped by Police here.
    Why I want to have a result earlier is to exchange it for an AMT car for wife.