1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

K&N Air Filters... Any good ?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sk16, Sep 11, 2013.

1. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Be an ignorant fool like me and go with the positives.

Although,I also have a Remap, I have good experience with CAI (not K&N) .My linea has 87000+km on the odo and its super fun to drive with the mods and not to forget the improved fuel efficiency.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  2. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    That you are SJ :boxer
    1 person likes this.
  3. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    :D. Had:p

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  4. SK16,
    Dirt or dust what what size affects engine? And what level of filtration a K&N provides?
    Why no OEM is using them?
    Find answers to these questions you will know asnswers to your query.
  5. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India

Now if you're happy with the mods, then why the tag of ignorant fool? This kind of mod or infact all kinds of mods are never generic. What works for you might not work for me and vice-versa.

You say that your drive is super-fun and more fuel efficient with the above said mods, then why the discouragement ? Can you share some more info ? Performance of the CAI- hks/bmc/k&n or some other ?
  6. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Good Question!

The first time i heard that something like a REMAP/TUNING exists , i had the REMAP done in the next 24 hours (ODO was 30000km). This was primarily because , i really badly needed that extra punch in the lower gears which i got immediately after remap.I just called this guy from KIIRUS and spent 1 hour talking to him and my car was remapped in couple of hours. So, "Ignorant" but Mission Success. I , still am ignorant to what the maps are doing with the car , but super happy with what it's doing to me :D:p
    At that time, he did educate me about CAI and AIR , but i said let me do it later.

Next was that i came across Peter (Drifter) and when he was in India , he wanted to test his GSR AIR on my Linea. I spent good time with his Intake Kit and finally kept it for good. Again , IGNORANT , because there are few thousand Youtube videos and hundreds of lines of texts in this forum and elsewhere that discuss the Pros and cons (well 99% CONS:rolleyes:), which i never saw or read and didn't spend years researching these theories and arguing about them:rolleyes: . I just FITTED it and USE it and using it for 50000 + km . The results are only for me to Enjoy . So, again , IGNORANCE IS BLISS :rolleyes::p

My Linea is the highest Run Linea FIRE 1.4 on this forum (or probably in the country) , if there are any sensible people still running their petrol cars for 20000+ kms every year.:rolleyes:

My Linea is behaving exceptionally well and the investments on the mods have been well worth it :redcar
    Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
    2 people like this.
  7. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    See, I am not aware of the figures of the size of the dust particles that escape an air filter or that cause damage to the engine. People have given feedbacks that air filtration and flow is good with K&N/BMC air filters(be it stock replacement or high performance), but major concern is cleaning that filter and then re-oiling it as that is a tricky part because if one over-oils it, it will start bugging the MAF sensor. And also, lets be clear that we are talking about Air Filters only, which means not changing the stock air box.

This again is a subjective matter. We can go on and on debating about the parts being used as OE by various companies, be it tyres, ICE, dampers, lights, etc etc.
    Also imagine if these high-end products enter our cars, think about the costs these cars will scale. And also keep in mind the CMVR norms which play a major role in a car's production.
    1 person likes this.
  8. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Is there any improvement in turbo kick after filter change to k&n ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4
  9. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India

Good to know that your spent money has paid off.:clapping

I am the sorts who doesn't like to be ignorant. But yes, do tend to ignore a few things when super-excited. In this case, I am excited but not to such an extent that I start overlooking things.
    That is the reason I created this thread instead of being hasty and ask the knowledgeable people and people who have first hand experiences with them like your good self.

Thanks,
    Shray

- - - Merged Post - - -

Hardly noticeable with a stock replacement filter, IMO. But, it would be felt with a CAI.
    1 person likes this.
  10. Ganges

Ganges Esperto

Driver Seat _/
    :
    Grande Punto 1.3
    What is CAI ?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 6030D using Tapatalk 4