1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

K&N Air Filters... Any good ?

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by sk16, Sep 11, 2013.

1. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Hi everyone.

I own a Linea 1.3 MJD Emotion Pk and in six months have run it for about 12,400 kms. Now I am thinking of installing the K&N stock replacement Air Filter. The rate that I've got from an authorised dealer is Rs. 5200/-.

Advantages:-
    1. Increases acceleration. Increases power by about 2-3 HP. (K&N claims as there is increased air flow and better filtration). Hardly noticeable IMO.
    2. Higher fuel efficiency. (K&N claims as there is increased air flow and better filtration).
    3. Refined sound (engine clutter).
    4. It is eco-friendly as its not a paper filter and has cotton gauze.
    5. K&N filters are washable and reusable. They serve the engine for about 50,000 kms in one wash, unlike paper filters that demand replacement every 15,000 kms.
    6. The famous "Million Mile Limited Warranty" by K&N.

Disadvantages:-
    1. Its expensive as compared to our OE paper air filters. But, with K&N its just a one time thing.
    Can't really think of any other disadvantage as such.

Rain in your suggestions and advice people. Folks who've installed K&N air filter or intake system or oil filter to please pitch in and throw some light on this. As after the air filter I am going to opt for the K&N wrench off oil filter also.

Cheers.
    Last edited: Sep 11, 2013
  2. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Stock replacement filter is of no use.
    Waste of money,especially on cars running factory state of tune.
  3. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    And what about the K&N high performance Air filter (mushroom type/conical)?

I got this feedback that the above have a great effect on an engine's performance. But at the same time they shorten the life span of an engine as filtration is compromised.
  4. Akshay4384

Akshay4384 Superiore

Yes,they improve the driveability to some extent,especially the CAI.
    But do not expect 10% gains as claimed,down side is that,there is a fat chance of dust and water getting inside the engine.
  5. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Exactly.

By CAI you mean Conical Air Intake system, right ??
    I am against replacing the whole AI system as that would void the car warranty.

Does an aftermarket Air Filter also affect the warranty ?
  6. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    Oh, you meant cold air intake.
    1 person likes this.
  7. FastLove

FastLove Superiore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.4
    Yes. U lose warranty.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk 2
  8. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    The above is definitely not true. Changing your OEM filter to this one will not lead to any refinement of sound whatsoever. Worst case scenario - your induction noise will actually increase rather than decrease.

I'm afraid you must take a look at the type of oil filter in your Linea D. It is notthe wrench type. It's the paper element type.

Just enjoy your stock car as is. When running as it should, the little 1.3 Multijet is a peach of an engine.

Cheers.
  9. Please check the thread on pros and cons of after market filters.
  10. sk16

sk16 Amatore

New Delhi, India
    My bad, my bad. Slipped out of my mind.

IMO, it does change the sound for better. It is the performance enhancing air filters(racing type, conical/mushroom etc.) that increase the induction noise. The stock replacement AF make the sound sweeter. But then at the time, it is not applicable to all cars as few will gain from these air filters and a few will not. Like I've seen a Honda Civic/Accord and a VW Polo/Vento gaining from stock replacement Air filter and at the same time seen a Mahindra XUV500 and a Skoda Rapid failing miserably.

- - - Merged Post - - -

Checked a lot. Checked with friends who've got these Air Filters installed. Checked on various other forums and sites.
    But there is so much conjecture around these that I am unable to come to a conclusion.

Out of ten opinions, 7 are positive and 3 are negative. These negative reviews increase skepticism.