1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Joining the Tifosi with a Minimal Grey 1.3 MJD Punto ...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by BarneyX, Aug 2, 2011.

1. BarneyX

BarneyX

Kolkata
    Hi Guys!

Its been a real experience, should I say one of a lifetime, of going with what the heart wants. Let me describe a bit further.

I am an Electronics Engineer whose hometown is in Calcutta, but for work I stay in Gurgaon. I was a Ferrari-FIAT fan from the day I heard their names, some 15-16 years back. We had the Premier Padmini then which was what gave FIAT a bad brand image to the minds of us Indians. My uncle had one, and to be honest I never liked it. But I started following Formula1 1997 onwards, and then there was no looking back. It was Tifosi all the way with Scarlet being the color of choice. :D

Cut to 2009. We had a Santro ZipDrive which was aeging and I did not quite like driving it. Pleaded with dad for a new car, but nothing changed. The Punto was launched in mid 2009 and I always used to drool over. :cool

Finally I managed to persuade dad to sell off the Santro in end 2010. But we hadnt decided on the replacement as yet. The new Ford Figo was getting rave reviews, and I was kind of tilted towards such a cheap petrol/diesel. Initially we thought of going for a Figo 1.2 Petrol ZXi. Fortunately the umpteen petrol price revisions and decontrol of pricing by the Government made us sit up and take notice.

It had to be a diesel now.

Still, we had just shifted from the Petrol Figo to the Diesel (ZXi) one. It was frugal, had nearly no turbo lag, rode well, had decent features and most importantly was coming for around INR 575,000 OTR Calcutta. But the Ford dealership seemed they were doing us a favor in selling the car, offered practically no discount, and was rude enough to say that "Figo to prochur bikri hochhe, tai company kono discount dichhe na" (As Figo is selling in great numbers, the company isint providing any discount). It was like a kick in your a**. Still, as the Vitamin M factor was there, pestered along thinking that a Figo would eventually grace my garage.

As they say, when in trouble, seek Providence. And Providence I did.

Fiat India started running the Diesel-for-Petrol campaign to boost sales, one of whose ads caught me. I never needed an explanation to buy a Punto as it had always been in my dreams. With a pay hike, I was a bit more empowered. I asked dad to go to the TATA-FIAT showroom once and check what maximum can be done, if at all.

Contrary to popular belrif, FIAT was really offering a lot of freebies and discounts. After hard bargainig by my dad, it seemed we would have to pay an additional INR 75,000 over the Figo for a Punto 1.3 Emotion. For the extra money, we were getting:
    • Rear power windows - something which I hated most in the Figo
    • Substantially better instrumentation with MID etc
    • Very Important - ABS with EBD
    • And finally - the simply Beautiful Italian beauty in itself
    That sealed it. Asked dad to book it, while I booked my flight tickets to Calcutta to coincide with the delivery.

Just got a call from dad yesterday that the dealer had called to say that the car is already out of the factory and on its way. :) Even the dealer themselves didnt say the delivery would be so early. It now seems that the car will stay put after arriving in the store yard till I arrive :D.

I have read extensively through TFI and some other forums, and will abide by the PDI as stated here. However, with this being a forum of Linea/Punto owners, any comments from you on pre-during-post delivery for the car will be very much appreciated. I will upload store yard pics once I take them.

Thaks guys for going through such a long post. Cheers to the Tifosi! :clapping
  2. niranjan_81

niranjan_81

Pune
    Congrats on the new car. Do download the PDI checklist available on the site and take it along. It's really helpful.
  3. gurjinder

gurjinder Staff Member Janitor

Punjab
    Welcome aboard Barney "X" and heartiest congratulations on getting the Punto!

I hope you have already gone through the Linea/Punto specific PDI checklist that we have here on TFI. Take along its printout and rest assured , you will bamboozle the Sales guy with the PDI checklist.

And , which color have you opted for?

Here is the link to the TFI PDI checklist .

Cheers,
    Gurjinder.
  4. mhitesh

mhitesh Amatore

Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Airoli, Navi Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.4
    I have also been an F1 and a Ferrari Fiat Fan.

Welcome to Team Fiat. Drive Safe
  5. karan desai

karan desai Superiore

Morbi, Gujrat
    congratulations. may you enjoy more and more miles in the beauty.
  6. BarneyX

BarneyX

Kolkata
    Thanks! Will surely take the TFI List to the dealer. I am banking on this a lot. :)

Thanks, paaji! Im taking a Minimal Grey beauty. Yeah, the PDI checklist hopefully will bamboozle the sales team! :D

Thanks, mhitesh. Unfortunately Scuderia Ferrari is not doing well these days. :(

Thank you!
  7. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Congratulations on acquiring the beauty... Do upload nice pics of the car on Howrah bridge...
  8. jishnu

jishnu Superiore

Bangalore
    Congrats for your new car!! Were are the pics?? Anyways drive safe! :)
  9. BarneyX

BarneyX

Kolkata
    Thanks! Umm ... will surely post pics, but lets see if the Howrah Bridge can fit in .... :D

Thanks man! Weel it is yet to be delivered. Pics will come up then .... :)
  10. kedarbendre

kedarbendre Esperto

MH 12
    BarneyX many congratulations for new car. :)