1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Job Resignation

Discussion in 'Hangout' started by ScrewedDriver, Jan 14, 2015.

1. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    It is. If any document dictates the terms for even resigning, that amount to the Bonded Labor.

Given the situation that our legal system is lethargic and without any clear process defined for the notice period, employers use this as an advantage in asking for a longer notice period. An employee may win the case if he legally fights for the longer notice periods. It is the duration that the employer buys from the resigned employee to identify a suitable candidate in his position. The employer cannot claim any bond amount spent on training the employee :). In developed nations like in USA, the notice period doesn't extend beyond 14 days. If an employer dictates terms to even resign (like you can resign after one month in India) and has got the signature from the employee for this, it surely amounts to the Bonded Labor.
  2. nikhil0405

nikhil0405 Amatore

Pune
    Linea 1.3
    In the US, a person can be face a lay off on the same day without additional compensation. In India, employees are entitled to the pay (basic pay) in case of a layoff for the notice period.
    As @asimpleson said, the company needs a way to get a return on investment on its employees. I am sure without any rules there will be total chaos.
    If you think that employment polices in India are illegal, why not fight them out? A whole lot of people will thank you if you win.
    I am not from the HR BTW and am an employee like many here. Just thinking practically.
    I am done with this thread and hope @ScrewedDriver has got what he wanted and takes the right decision.
  3. ramjn

ramjn Staff Member Janitor

Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Come on. I am telling what are the things that are illegal and being done by the corporates. I got to know these law after a recent conversation with one of my lawyer friend. And BTW, those are not employment policies of India. Those are policies of the corporates.

This is the problem here, we employees are ignorant on so many things and if someone say about the truth, even that is not acceptable to them. This is the advantage being enjoyed by the corporates.

Note:- If I am put into an unusual situation which affects my rights, I will definitely fight it out legally. Not just for the sake of proving it something. :)
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  4. rajeev_pillai

rajeev_pillai Regolare

Mumbai
    Kochi, Kerala
    Grande Punto 1.2
    My previous employer also had this type of policy initially.
    We had to sign a contract before travelling, which states that employee cannot resign for 6 months.
    However many left before that period, but no HR mentioned about the 'Bond'.
    Many employees simply rejected to sign itself before travel. :D.
    Later on no such contracts were issued.:cool:

Rajeev
    ramjn likes this.
  5. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Both, the Companies (the group of people) and the employees can be equally opportunistic. Sometimes some are more than others. I think there must be reasonable laws to protect interests of both companies and employees. Attrition is a serious issue and corporates generally do everything within legal limits (more these days) to keep things going out of control.

It might come as a surprise but there is at-least one company in my sight which invests handsomely at all levels in its people and keeps their employees happy. It is in fact the employees in that company that have nightmare leaving that company and joining bigger names even at higher offers. And also they are very selective in choosing their people.
    C_S likes this.
  6. rudresh

rudresh Regolare

Hyderabad, India
    @asimpleson which is that company?

For me, Notice period is all in good faith. Company wants to keep the transition smooth and make sure you don't leave in middle of a big project where lot are at stake because of you. At the same time, employees also get to be paid if lay off happens.
    1 month I find it adequate other than some extraordinary situations.

But Some has Notice period of 2-3 month which is simply ridiculous as one cannot even look for a job with peace of mind. most of the company will back off hearing 3 months of NP unless you are indispensable for them.

In US 14 days what is done in good faith. But I have seen company releases employees in 7 days too in good terms.
  7. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    @rudresh PM me your email id. I will forward name of the company. That is if you are looking for a shift due to work at Mumbai or Pune with occasional visits to France.
  8. shams

shams Esperto

Bangalore
    @ScrewedDriver, would you mind giving your introduction in an appropriate thread mentioning your association with Fiat if any?
    ramjn likes this.
  9. ScrewedDriver

ScrewedDriver Timido

India
    Inboot
    Fiat Enthusiast
    Thankk you guys for the suggestion it's really an healthy discussions with very good suggestions gained alot hope i will soon learn more about FIAT too.

@shams sir,
    I'm FIAT enthusiasts my dad was a car mechanic. i seen many padminis with open hood engine.Due to some finance issues we have shutdowned the garage.
    After coming to USA saw many FIAT 500,when i googled India FIAT.i saw Teamfiat.com. following almost from one month.
    asimpleson likes this.
  10. mchanna

mchanna Superiore

Pune
    Resign if company is asking you to pay anything, deal with your future employer to buy that.

But it us always recommended to leave on a good note no matter how bad the management is.
    asimpleson likes this.