1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Jerk problem in Linea

Discussion in 'Engine Compartment' started by Siddhartha86, Jun 2, 2010.

1. Right now I am facing a bit of trouble with my Linea. 10 days back in the middle of bumper to bumper traffic I felt some jerks while releasing the accelerator to slow down.The jerk was very much pronounced in the first gear.The acceleration also became sluggish.At that time I saw the speedometer and multi functional display.They both were dead !!!!!!!

But after moving a few kilometers the problem vanished and my car again became smooth as silk and speedometer and multi functional display came back to life.Again on 23 of May I faced the same problem.This time I noticed that when speedometer and multi functional display stops functioning the car starts giving jerks.This I noticed again and again.

On 24 of May I took the car to TASS.I told the problem and the service guy heard me patiently.He told me to leave the car and asked me to collect the car in the evening.Thereafter I returned to home.After about 3 hours the service guy called me up and said that the sensor of speedometer console is faulty and they have to replace it.He said the jerk problem has been rectified by some sort of scanner.I told him that jerk and speedometer problem is interrelated as I feel jerk only when speedometer does not work.He said no the jerk problem has been rectified.As usual the sensor was not available and he said I can collect my car as it will take 10-12 days to get PINION and SPEEDOMETERGEAR which needs to be replaced.I collected my car and left the TASS.

Way back home I saw that speedometer and multi functional display were working properly and there were no jerks at all.After moving few km again the same problem erupted.This time I was furious :firey .I called the service guy and he was not at all ready to accept that car is giving jerks.When I gave him a piece of bashing, he said to bring the car to TASS for a test ride with the mechanic.This time it was even worse.The mechanic while driving said that he is not feeling any jerk.Every car gives this jerk at the time one leaves the accelerator :shock: .I said that I do not know about other cars but my Linea earlier didn't gave any sort of these jerks.At last he said that they will see the problem once the parts ordered are available at the TASS.

Now I am waiting for the part to be delivered with my fingers crossed !!

Experts comments required !!
  2. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Does the engine turn off completely??? And you have to turn the ignition to turn the car back on??

Then it might be the same Issue amit (vahanpujari) faced. Even I faced the same issue and I also know a friend who owns a linea.. all got the same 1.4 FIRE.

Is it so? or when you leave the clutch the car turns itself on???
  3. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

My brother in law has purchased a Linea newly and he has the same problem.
  4. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

Is it the jerkings or the stalling???
  5. rameshjoshi

rameshjoshi Amatore

He says he gets a jerk while traveling. I do not know much details.
    1 person likes this.
  6. Andy

Andy Esperto

Chembur Mumbai
    Grande Punto 1.3
    did u check the tacho when u started getting the jerks.. was it dipping below 900rpm.....

It could be a faulty anti strolling system which may cause this.
  7. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

I would suggest disconnecting the (-ve) terminal wires only from the battery when everything in the car turned off. for 15 mins. The wires below the black cover on the battery. The cover comes off if you lift the whole cover vertically..
    Push the brake pedal 2-3 times completely gently anytime during the 10-15 mins. so that any remaining electrical charge in the car's system is drained out.

After 10-15 mins, reconnect the battery terminal. (before reconnecting, recheck that no light, function is turned ON. Ignition is also off) (possibility of blowing a fuse if anything is turned on and the wire is connected)
    After reconnecting, turn key to MAR and wait for the lights on dash to turn off (ABS, airbag etc lights) . Once ready or ignition, turn the engine ON, and leave it idle for 30 secs.
    in the mean time You can set the date & time again.

After 30 secs you can drive normally.
    This should hopefully solve the issue. (ECU resets)
    There is no harm in doing so.
  8. Ok I will try disconnecting the the negative terminal of the battery method.
    But the TASS guys say that pinion and speedometer gear needs to be replaced :confused1
  9. No the engine does not turns off completely. Mostly in 1 and 2 gear if I reduce the speed of the car by releasing the accelerator pedal without pressing the clutch then the car gives jerks.
  10. Chaos

Chaos Regolare

So I suggest you have the parts replaced at the TASC, drive around, if the problem persists then disconnect the terminal.

This will need some more input from more Linea owners facing this issue to rule out possible "Driving style" error!!

As of now, this is the first time i have heard this jerking issue. My 1.4 Punto is made in aug 09. I personally know 2 1.4 linea owners, out of which 1 has faced a stalling issue. not the jerks...

Do you recollect the rpm range when the jerks were produced by the car??

Could you specify what you mean by MID speedo not working/dead???
    Does the MID go blank (all figures vanish and the LCD amber led backlight light turns off???)
    And i assume speedo needle goes to "0" and what happens to the rpm needle??