1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Jaw Dropping Italian Beauty Comes Home

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by sPangasa, Jun 8, 2015.

1. sPangasa

sPangasa Novizio

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    Hello Everybody. Before we go into the details about the car let’s finish off the boring stuff first, i.e., introduction J

I am from Noida and an IT professional. I am better at writing codes than anything else which requires you to express your feelings and emotions. So bear with me as this post is not going to be like others we have on the forum where people pour their heart out in words.

I have been driving my dad’s Daewoo Matiz (yes the good old Matiz) for last 14 years and I love her till the day. She has always been a pleasure to drive and I could not find any car of its class when we brought her home. It was the family’s first car and we plan to keep her forever. She is still in a very beautiful shape with no major issues as such. However, with time passing by the maintenance bills started getting heavier every year and there was a need for better and bigger car in the family. Also Matiz started having intermittent issues with AC/Coolant/Braking etc. With this the search for a new car began in the budget of 8-9Lakhs (Which I knew could be stretched if needed ;)).

Also, since my running is going to be considerably high (~100Kms on weekdays), it was thought that diesel would make more sense.

Below were the cars considered:

1. Honda City: It is a crime not to consider this car in the segment I was looking for. However, I liked the petrol engine more than that of diesel. Also I am not a great fan of the sharp lines/fluidic design. The body on the ANHC felt wafer thin and the TD did not inspire much confidence while maneuvering it at slightly higher speeds. Also this car has become too common for my taste. I have always liked something that is not too common. So city was given a miss.

2. Hyundai Verna 4S: Again I am not a fan of the whole fluidic design. I (and who doesn’t) love curves and smooth lines. The engine was responsive but somehow I did not find it fun to drive. Also my parents did not like it.

3. Skoda Rapid: Not really in the list but still considered and then ignored by all :D

4. VW Vento: Overall liked it but was on the expensive side and very less dealer ships.

5. Fiat Linea: To be frank I always had my heart on this car. I loved the beauty of the car and heard very good reviews from anyone who had them or had TD’d them. So went for the TD of the Emotion Multijet. The initial response from the engine was slow and also coming from petrol it felt even more slugging because of the driving habits. However, as soon as the RPM crossed the 2100-2200 range it was a different game altogether. The car was so much fun to drive and hugged on to the road like anything even on high speed turns. Speed where I felt nervous in Honda City or others while turning. Build quality on the Linea was awesome and it has a feeling of safety. Everyone in the family liked the car very much. Personally I thought 1.6 would have done justice to this heavy car but 1.3 is also manageable. It was decided that this was going to be our next car :)

Dz23tmc.jpg

Color Selection: Initially my heart was to go with the Magnesium Grey. While doing TD (on pearl white) saw a T-Jet in the same color and I somehow didn’t like it much. Dad was of the same opinion. Next was the Tuscan wine which I really liked. Fortunately, just before booking I saw an old Tuscan wine and it looked damn dull. Maybe because of owner’s carelessness or whatever but there the Tuscan wine lost its place in my heart. Maybe it’s a color which requires lot of care. Liked white and black both but we were not going to pick any one of either. Black because it’s hard to maintain and white because I find it a bit Taxi’sh looking (my personal opinion though). So we went for the Minimal Grey/Silver which is a very universal/common color as far as cars are concerned. Comparatively easy to maintain and gives the car a bigger appearance.

NESywGQ.jpg

Booking: The car was booked on 3rd of May from Kashyap’s and a tentative date of 13th was given. The actual car was delivered on 21th May only. There is lot to write about the dealership experience which I will probably do in a different post some time later.

ZeYrupV.jpg

Current Status: It’s been almost 17 days since I brought her home and have driven close to 1500 Kms till now. The average I am getting till now is close to 15.4 in city with full AC.

pYPCkw9.jpg

Initial Experience: Here I will write about the initial experience of driving her. In the looks section she had always scored a touchdown and makes you drool over her. I liked the looks of the old linea more than the facelift but the facelift’s design seems to grow over you with time. Ok, so back to the driving experience. Initially I found that the gear ratios were weird, and felt that at time like in bumper to bumper traffic or on speed breakers etc there is lot of maneuver that one needs to do with the gears. Also, the lag was noticeable in first and second gears. Third gear was the one which I liked. The car picked up really well once the rpm was bit above 2100. However, as a traditional engine run-in practice, that was the exact time when I had to gear up. It was difficult but I managed to run-in the engine for first 1000 kms and kept it under 2200. In terms of handling the car turned out to be superb. It is super stable and goes where you take her to. Also, the noise levels inside the cabins are insulated very well.

JMZObbh.jpg

Current Experience: I think the engine has opened up quite a bit or I have got used to the driving style for a diesel or both, but the response has improved a lot. I don’t feel any turbo lag as such and the cars reaches 2500 rpm level very quickly before I shift gears. The efficiency also seems to have improved a wee bit maybe because my driving style has changed. But the car is completely fun to drive now. I can’t stay away from her for more than a day and always feel like taking her for a ride. I am yet to go on a long drive so that I can feel her on the highway where I am sure she is going to be a lot more beautiful. Will update when that happens.

Issues: Till now no issues as such (Touchwood). The only problem that I seem to have is with the seating position. I am 6ft 2 and I never had any issues with Matiz, which obviously does not have height adjustment or steering adjustment. I never had any issue with the seating on her. With Linea, for some reason I don’t seem to find that exact seating position even after trying multiple things. Sometimes the back is at comfort but the hands/legs stretch. When legs/hands are at comfort, the back aches. Not sure why this is happening and maybe others could provide their opinions/suggestions on how to set the position properly. Other than that I don’t see any issue currently.

Overall I am enjoying each and every moment with her and she is total fun to drive. My friends/family who tried to persuade me to buy anything but fiat now seems to have fallen for this car as well after they actually experience it. I think it’s time that fiat needs to come up with a good marketing strategy. They have really strong products but aren’t marketed correctly. People still have an image of Padmini when you say Fiat to them.

At the moment I don’t have much pictures of her but will upload as and when I get them and time permits. Thanks for reading a long/boring post. Cheers!

Note to mods: Please feel free to Remove/Modify/Alter in case there are any issues with the thread or content.
  2. prabhjot

prabhjot Esperto

delhi ncr
    @sPangasa

Your write up was crisply eloquent, liked it. Welcome to TFI and to the Fiat ownership experience.

If you take care of it, this car will pay you back for years on end in multiple rare (in the Indian mass market), valuable currencies: safety, fun, engagement, joy, pride, sophistication, sturdiness, passion and....beauty. Etc!

cheers

PS: this fact will delight you am sure, if you are not aware of it already. The original Daewoo matiz (later, Chevrolet Spark) and the Original Punto as well as Linea were designed by the same man: the legendary italian car designer Giugiaro, who died i believe just a year or two ago? After decades of breathtakingly beautiful car-design-work.
    GirishRaghu, Deepak and sPangasa like this.
  3. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @sPangasa

Heartiest congratulations mate on bringing home the Linea. I think you should have given the Tuscan wine colour a second chance, the colour looks so rich on the car. But anyways, you have brought a Fiat in a colour which you like and that's important. Mind sharing the cost of the car and the discounts you got. Did you opt for any accessories?? I feel a few more pics of the beauty would do more justice to your ownership thread.

Happy mile crunching and drive safely
    sPangasa likes this.
  4. sPangasa

sPangasa Novizio

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    @prabhjot

Thank you. I am definitely going to take very good care of her. Even the Matiz has been kept in very nice condition. Will post some pics of her sometime. Hoping to have long and fruitful relationship with Linea.

Thanks for the piece of info. I knew about designer of Punto and Linea but was not aware that Matiz was also designed by him. Really delighted to know that. Matiz was one of the most gorgeous cars of her time.
    prabhjot likes this.
  5. vinit

vinit Amatore

Mumbai
    Linea 1.3
    @sPangasa: Congrats on the purchase of the most beautiful car...

Simple trick to adjust the seat... First using the height adjustment lever, take the seat to its lowest position and then adjust the seat for leg distance (front and back).. Once, you have found the right position for your legs reach, stretch the seat backwards by an inch. Now slowly take the seat higher till you find comfortable position..(The leg distance reduces with every move upwards)
    sPangasa likes this.
  6. sPangasa

sPangasa Novizio

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    @ghodlur

Thanks for the wishes. I wanted to have the Tuscan initially but that one incident changed my mind completely. though I agree that it looks cool if kept properly maintained. I am more than happy with the minimal grey. It looks good and classy. Also gives the car a bigger appearance. after all the discounts got her for 10.35. No accessories as such as i found the emotion to be pretty much having everything.

Asked the dealer about the door sill or whatever they are called and he told me that would void warranty. I couldn't believe him but dint take a chance. Any idea on it? And if anyone could provide me the part number/cost etc.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 8, 2015 ---
    @vinit

Thanks buddy for the tip. I will definitely try it out and let you know how it goes.
  7. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    @sPangasa, congrats! Good to see another Linea in Noida. If you happen to see a Magnesio colored TJet around Noida/Indirapuram, it would be me!
    I would look out for you to ask you personally why you didn't like Magnesio Grey, the color I chose. ;)
    sPangasa likes this.
  8. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    The dealer is BSing you. If you are talking about the illuminated one then it does void the warranty if done from outside but if done from FASS it comes with a warranty. For a normal door sill, warranty does not come into picture at all.
    sPangasa likes this.
  9. sPangasa

sPangasa Novizio

Noida
    Linea 1.3
    @Saket Sidana, thanks. Would love to meet another linea owner in person. Till now I don't know anyone personally who owns a fiat car :) I still believe that Magnesio is a great color, but it was the families decision not to go with it. Also, they at least agreed to get a fiat home which was more than enough for me to go for a color that everyone liked.

Btw, where do you get your car washed in Noida/Ghaziabad? Recently took her for a wash at 3M Gurgaon. The experience was good, they were patient to do the job but I dont think I can go to them too frequently unless they have something in Noida.
    --- Double Post Merged, Jun 8, 2015 ---
    @ghodlur

that's exactly what I thought. I wanted the illuminated one. Asked the dealer and he said that would void warranty. I told him why would it void if I get it installed from you but he said "dekh lo kar denge but warranty me panga hoga to mat kehna". I am already fed up of the dealer and have had a bad experience with them.
  10. Saket Sidana

Saket Sidana Regolare

Delhi NCR
    Linea T-Jet
    I haven't yet taken it to a formal washing to 3M. Got the full top wash done in first service from Oberoi Fiat. I plan to get exterior and interior detailing at end of this month after my trip from Kasauli in the next week. There's a very reasonable and good center in Indirapuram named Klenz Car care. Heaps of praise on their fb page and one of my friends got it done for his Vento and they did it well. You may want to try it out as it's cheaper than 3M, they use Meguiars though. Cheers!
    sPangasa likes this.