1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Jamnagar - Mumbai

Discussion in 'Travelogues & Experiences' started by madgoks, Mar 6, 2011.

1. madgoks

madgoks Timido

Jamnagar
    Hi..

I am planning to drive down from Jamnagar to Mumbai some time next week. Intend to cover the distance in a day... would appreciate some inputs regarding the following:-
    1. Any suggestions as to which route is best or what should be avoided? NH8 all the way or some suggested diversions?[/*:m:2xdvhfck]
    2. Any places recommended for halting with good facilities ... fuel, washrooms etc.[/*:m:2xdvhfck]
    3. Any other suggestions / thoughts?[/*:m:2xdvhfck]
  2. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    NH 8 is your best bet. I'm sure you are quite familiar with the route - Jamnagar - Rajkot - Bagodara - Baroda - Surat - Mumbai.

From Bagodara to Baroda, there are 2 options & I've not travelled thro' them recently. One option is thro' Tarapur & the other is thro' passing Anand/ Vidyanagar/ Chikhodara Chokdi. If you come thro' Chikhodara Chokdi, try to have famous khichdi of Chokhodara chokdi on roadside dhaba on NH8.

Regarding halting places, I do not remember many as last I travelled Mumbai - Junagadh - Mumbai 1.5 years back. But surely there is not any paucity of very good joints. The bypass from Bagodara to NH8 thro' either Tarapur or Anand would not have many good joints & hence avoid. If you leave Jamnagar early morning, have breakfast at Darshan or the other hotel (name starting with "A" I think) at Limdi. You can have Lunch after you hit NH 8 from Tarapur / Anand. On NH8, there are some very good hotels before Baroda. I think you should reach there by 1-2 p.m. if you leave Jamnagar by 6 am.
  3. madgoks

madgoks Timido

Jamnagar
    Thanks VP (is that an acceptable abbrev?)

I'm going to be driving in this region for the first time and so the questions ... will check out ur suggestions and mark out those points on my map... all the same a couple of additional questions...

How much time from Baroda to Mumbai (Colaba)..

Will be using the drive to run in the car... so any pointers at that??
  4. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Yep, nothing wrong with that abrev ::D

Baroda to Surat should take you 2 to 3 hours. The challenge will be Surat to Mumbai. The entire road is being converted into some 6 lane or something. There are diversions at every few kms. You'll come across almost 30 - 40 diversions. No risks but the time taken from Surat to Mumbai would be more. Surat to Borivali would take around 4.5 to 5 hours & then Borivali to Colaba should take another 1.5 hours if no traffic at all or if there is traffic, it takes 2.5 to 3 hours
  5. madgoks

madgoks Timido

Jamnagar
    Thanks VP for the tips..

Google tries to take me away from Rajkot along SH6 and then SH22... is the road through Rajkot a better bet?
  6. VahanPujari

Mumbai
    Rajkot to Bagodara road is the Rajkot-Ahmedabad highway & is as good as it can get.