1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Its a dream come true...

Discussion in 'Linea 1.3 MJD' started by livelyyoungman, Nov 20, 2010.

1. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chapter 21:

I had always admired ANHC from the day it was launched not just for the brand but the overall value it offers during the ownership. Honda has always been synonymous with quality. No wonder City is the market leader in the segment.

Both positives and negatives of ANHC has lot been discussed by one and all. Few things that I disliked about the ANHC were the following:

• It was really uncomfortable for me to park the car in my garage. Seating position was awkward. [/*:m:1koa92g6]
    • No CD player. Of course USB’s are the order of the day. But in my case I have good collection of CD content in 5.1 format. I badly needed one to play those. Spending 10K for that alone was not considered wise by me.[/*:m:1koa92g6]
    • Definitely overpriced. I would not have felt this had I not seen Linea.[/*:m:1koa92g6]
    • Too tied up with Honda Accessories lest be sure to loose warranty.[/*:m:1koa92g6]
    Still with these negatives, I felt I would go for the City for it was commended by one and all. I have people who have lauded the City and have been loyal right from its first generation launch in India. It was really difficult to zero on one.
  2. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chapter 22

Though my heart inched towards City, my mind advised otherwise. Had that not been the case, I would have landed up buying ANHC the next minute I sold my Santro. Math played its part on the decision. I filled up the XLS that I had put up for everyone with the details of both City and Linea. It may sound insane to compare a gasoline derivative with that of an oil burner. Still I did that. In fact I went one step further and worked on service and spare cost as well. Added to this, I calculated the depreciation and resale value of the cars after an ownership of 5 years. The outcome of the analysis was:

• Gasoline was definitely costlier than Diesel in current situation. This may change provided our government drops APM for diesel. [/*:m:3gihsi1v]
    • Maintenance cost of City was higher than that of Linea. The reason was partly due to service intervals levels. [/*:m:3gihsi1v]
    • Spare parts of City are definitely costlier than that of Linea. I did not do a vis-à-vis comparison but just on the common items.[/*:m:3gihsi1v]
    • Insurance premium was costlier by almost 9K for City. This translated to additional premium for every ownership year.[/*:m:3gihsi1v]
    • Resale value offsets the other negatives of City. [/*:m:3gihsi1v]

Even after this both City and Linea were so close to each other and it was really getting over my head. Even my patient family started to show their true colors thus adding more fuel to the existing woes.
  3. Ravi

Ravi Staff Member Janitor

Bangalore
    Grande Punto 1.3
    Excellent write-up livelyyoungman.
    Very detailed and exciting to read. Please continue.
  4. sid_10000

sid_10000 Regolare

Pune
    Go on mate :)
  5. shashanknathani

shashanknathani Superiore

Pune
    Lovely.........Lovely...............Lovely...............Lovely............

I was reading this post and resisting myself not to comment till you finish the Book "Bitten by Linea Bug, now enjoying the MJD". sorry couldn't resist and expressed my views now...
  6. nk4FIAT

nk4FIAT Superiore

Hyderabad
    Amazing writeup man!!
    I wish all the future buyers should read this and go for Linea!!!!
  7. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chapter 23

With both the cars neck to neck it was time to adopt some scientific methods to arrive at a solution. It was decided to assign a weightage (read as rating) for the features of both the cars. For this, the features of both the cars were put into an Excel sheet to do a side by side comparison. An higher weightage would be given to a feature that is better in one than the other. For e.g. Linea's tyres was given higher weightage to that of City as pot hole negotiation was better. Things that I felt trivial were left out of the comparison (for e.g. Vanity mirrors). To delve deeper I am providing couple of feature comparison here.

City's petrol engine scored high than Linea's diesel in the NVH segment. But the same engine scored low in fuel segment. Similiarly when comparing the height of the cars Linea should have scored only marginally higher; but it was otherwise. Though the difference between City and Linea was less than 1cm Linea scored higher due to the ease that it provided for people to get in and out of the car. Such was the level of detail that was taken into account.

With the comparison Excel ready, Linea was a clear winner. Though it was Linea all the way, neither my family nor my friends really accepted this. They were still worried about two factors - the ones that I had already discussed

• A.S.S.[/*:m:1mti5rpg]
    • Resale value.[/*:m:1mti5rpg]

I was pretty much convinced that if I have to get the Linea I have come out with something convincing for the above. For A.S.S stuff I really had no answer. For Resale value, I knocked it off by reasoning out in this fashion

• Anyone buys a car primarily for usage (read as enjoyment as well) and not for resale. Resale only comes into picture at least after 3-4 years of ownership. This theory I postulated on the fact that indeed Linea was a wonderful product from FIAT just for one reason its heart - the engine is definitely one among the best as it was and is discharging its duties in 5 other cars. When the heart was and is so good, the others would definitely not be that bad. So even if there is no resale, it still made sense to go the Linea way as it provided a lot of benefits (got these details from the above Excel sheet). [/*:m:1mti5rpg]
    • Not only the above with so many cars rolling out in India, resale value of all the cars is likely to head south in future.[/*:m:1mti5rpg]

It was a partial victory for me with not many counter arguments for the above two points - may be people did not have many. ::D

It was just the A.S.S part that needed some convincing from my side. Internet was the only stop for me to find an answer for this.
  8. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    Chapter 24

"Google Hai Na" is what I tell people when they ask me for some information. Googling provided me interesting answers for A.S.S for both FIAT and Honda cars. Both had their potential strengths and weakness. But one thing that really caught my attention was the fact that FIAT was indeed more supportive than Honda. It was at this time that I read about two incidents (issues identified) which FIAT promptly attended to

• One was the CSC issue[/*:m:2lc3mbz3]
    • Other was the A/C issue[/*:m:2lc3mbz3]
    Though FIAT had promised free fix for both the above, still in few cases, the service centers failed to attend these. An escalation had provided beneficial for all those customers. FIAT ran the extra mile to make the customers happy.

On the other hand Honda did not have any of such issues. That really spoke on their quality. But this had its own pitfall. Even at six sigma level, six defects per million are permitted. What happened if the City that I happen to buy fell in those six? Would Honda be willing to listen? It was the one among the few times that even Google failed to provide an answer. The probability of Honda failing was definitely less when compared to FIAT; but in the event of failure, FIAT extended full support whereas that was not likely to be from the Honda stable.

Armed with this information, I went about my business and got approval of all but one. He was vetoed 6:1. With absolute majority in my bucket, it was time for booking.
  9. Anant, i was resisting myself from commenting on the thread till i met you yesterday and knew what's in store.
    I dont want to wait anymore in complimenting you for the excellent write up.

One of the Best i have read in the recent times. Keep posting "atleast" on a weekly basis. The wait is killing.
  10. livelyyoungman

livelyyoungman Regolare

Chennai
    Chennai
    Linea 1.3
    As you wish Sir Ji. This thread will get updated on at least weekly basis