1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Issues with Punto 1.3 Turbo. Please help

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by sridharj, Feb 22, 2016.

1. sridharj

sridharj Timido

Chennai
    Hi,

I have a tough situation with my Punto 1.3 2012 model. In November 2015, I left my car in RDC Motors, Chennai for a general check up as I was taking the car for a long trip. I was informed that the oil cooler is not working and it needs to be changed. As I was in a hurry, I did not check for external warranty and proceeded with the change of oil cooler.

After a month I started to notice few drops of oil below the car after parking it overnight, I took the car back to RDC motors and I was informed that the problem is again with oil cooler and it was changed under warranty.

Even though the quantity in leakage of oil came down, I was still seeing few drops of oil in the floor after parking the car overnight. I again took the car back to RDC motors. Again after 2 to 3 visits it was found that it was leaking from the drain nut and it was fixed.

Meanwhile, I also asked them to complete the yearly service, this is my cars 4th year service. So, while leaving the car for service I only had the problem of leaking engine oil. But after getting the car delivered to home after service, the engine leak has stopped, but the engine was loud and I was getting a whistling noise from engine when I was accelerating.

I took the car back to RDC, when checked the service advisor said they did not fix the air filter properly and hence the noise. After fixing the air filter, even though the noise has gone down, there was still a mild whistling noise when accelerating, when I complained it to SA, he said it is normal and insisted to take the car back. There was also some rattling noise from dashboard. They also said that they have changed the extensioner belt and power steering belt.

Even after driving the car for a week, the whistling noise was still there. So, I made a complaint to RDC motors and they asked me to bring the car back. Meanwhile, got a call from Fiat enquiring about the service experience and I explained them everything, the customer care executive from Fiat said that they are opening a complaint and I will get a call back from complaints department within 24 hours. Its been more than 10 days and I’m yet to get a call from the Fiats complaint department.

I took the care back to RDC motors last Thursday, after checking the car for 3 days, now they say the problem is with Turbo. I’m not sure how a car with no issues before service have developed all the complications after service.

They said it will cost Rs 30,000 to change the turbo. As this time I had the extended warranty list with me, I said that turbo is covered under extended warranty and also asked them that I need a explanation on how this happened after service.

Finally they said they will send an email to Fiat attaching the service history of the car and get approval from Fiat to change the turbo under warranty. I’m really skeptical based on the recent experience with RDC that the RDC guys will make an honest effort on this.

I need advice from Fiat owners on how to deal with this situation. Should I wait for reply from RDC or should I send an email to Fiat? If so, to whom?

Here are the details about my car

Model – Fiat Punto 1.3 Dynamic

Year – 2012

KMs – 34600

In the last 3 months I have already spent around rs 9000 for oil cooler, rs 15000 on service and rs 4500 for power steering belt and Extensoner belt. I believe its high maintenance for a hatch and the frustration is none of them is solved even after spending so much.

I would highly appreciate your valuable advice.

Thanks,
    Sridhar
  2. ghodlur

ghodlur Esperto

Thane
    @sridharj

Write a mail to Fiat explaining the entire episode. Also specifically mention that RDC replaced the cooler twice when there was an issue with the drain plug. This will highlight that RDC is responsible for the issues in the car.

I leave it to the experts to confirm if the turbo can be replaced in extended warranty. Did you experience any loss of power after the service confirming that Turbo might have gone bad?
    Iyu likes this.
  3. asimpleson

asimpleson Esperto

Heptanesia
    Linea 1.3
    Your car seems to have taken hit at somepoint of time or has got damaged during some service. Oil cooler and oil leaking and turbo damage all seem connected. Although at 34,600kms this is premature turbo failure. Can you please make sure the noise is not of tensioner bearing. Failing turbo should have drained off oil via exhaust with white smoke and car should really struggle a lot if turbo has/had failed. Take opinion from other FASS. Also take all your bills or invoices and send email to Fiat and ask for their intervention. Also ask them to investigate failures related to your car. If Turbo has failed you can contact Turbo Energy Limited and find a full refurbished turbo. FGT turbo can be fixed rather easily should the need arise.
  4. sridharj

sridharj Timido

Chennai
    Sure, I will write to fiat. Earlier I have read in forum that the service heal Mangesh Kodalkar was very responsive. Not sure, if he is still there in Fiat. I'm not very much optimistic about writing to their service email. because, after raising a complaint their complaints department is yet to call me.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    @asimpleson - I was the one who drives the car and definitely the car is well driven. It did not take a hit anytime. I have asked them several times to check it clearly as there is very less chance of problem in Turbo. because, there is no drop in pick up, there is no balck smoke and the engine oil level has not gone down.

Sure, will look for refurbished turbo if need arise.
  5. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    If none of the above has occured then my friend there's no need for a turbo replacement. If a turbo is shot it's usually felt immediately as power loss & almost not able to drive the car. Just take it to another centre & ask them to look into the issue without giving them any history. Let them diagnose a problem without any bias.

Also if the turbo is failed it's easily seen in the ECU scanner.
  6. avnsiva

avnsiva Amatore

Chennai
    Best is to take it out of RDC and give it to Ramkay.

Even there, ask for rationale on how they decided that turbo has done bad.
    Are there any error codes checked via OBD?
    Reasoning should be convincing.

Don't know how come Maruti was able to perform better that fiat in identifying the issues.
  7. sridharj

sridharj Timido

Chennai
    I left the car for diagnosis in another FASS called Ramkay Fiat. There too the head mechanic said the whistling noise is coming from Turbo and it needs to be changed. When I said I do not experience any pick up loss, black smoke or loss of engine oil. He said turbo is only starting to go bad now and the car will show these symptoms in the future. The Examiner does not show any issues.
    --- Double Post Merged, Feb 22, 2016 ---
    Tried Ramkay Fiat kattupakam. They to seem to have the same diagnosis. The examiner shows nothing, they say the whistling noise is coming from Turbo, so we have to change the turbo
  8. kk27

kk27 Amatore

Kandivali - Mumbai
    Kandivali - Mumbai
    Fiat Enthusiast
    You might wanna read thru this particular post - someone with exactly your issues. Also read thru this

All in all the main points in both posts are "if there's no power loss or Smoking exhaust then it's fine" the other being the noise has to be Grinding rather than whistling!

To be honest... not to deem anyone esp mechanics as non techinicals but that's the truth. Just coz someone is a Mechanic or Engineer doesn't make them technically sound in their judgement. And esp here in India many become mechanic not by intent to be one but because of force & job crunch. Only a few who have a technical & mechanical bent learn fast & become experts others simply go by checklist & what the customer says.
  9. sridharj

sridharj Timido

Chennai
    Thanks for sharing the articles. One point mentioned in the article is constant whistling noise might be due to problem in turbo. Still there is no issue with pick up or there is black smoke. Following up with RDC motors for the extended warranty. Its been more than 2 weeks and they give me different reasons daily for not getting a reply from Fiat (damn those guys can write screen play for a movie). I believe its time to directly write to Fiat. Can any one please help in getting the email id's of Mr Mangesh and others to escalate the issue?

I'm even not very sure if the RDC guys applied for extended warranty.

Thanks,
    Sridhar
  10. sridharj

sridharj Timido

Chennai
    Hi Guys,

It turned out to be a turbo problem. I wrote a email to jacob (service head) and then the turbo was replaced under extended warranty. The whistling noise has gone now. But the process of approving the extended warranty took nearly a month, mostly due to laziness from the dealer side. Can't blame fiat for it.
    asimpleson likes this.