1. Introducing the smashing new Team FIAT T-Shirt !! To order yours click here : Team FIAT T-Shirt

Issues with a brand new punto 1.3 mjd

Discussion in 'Punto 1.3 MJD' started by louisjohn, Oct 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. maverick

maverick Amatore

retropoppers, please go ahead and book your Punto, but please make sure that you take a TFI-an along with you while you do your PDI. Punto is one of the best Diesel hatches available right now in India. I have covered 9k kms in 6 months in my Punto and each km covered was very enjoyable one.

Amit, you are sounding very pessimistic, I do not know what issues you have faced in your ownership of Punto. The Punto I got 6 months back didn't have any issues, frankly speaking I didn't even do a proper PDI. Every car dealer will try to pull a fast one on you, this is not specific to Tata alone. Yes I do agree that my Palio is made better than Punto, having said that Punto's build quality is good enough for it to last long. I have not seen any rust formation in my 6 months old Punto.
  2. I agree with Srida.. I am one of those 60% buyers who bought a car without doing PDI because I had just heard of this term and never knew what it actually meant. But now after going through the forums and reading reviews, when I buy my 2nd car, I will do a thorough PDI.

I got delivery of my car at 8 pm (in the dark) and PDI or no PDI, it wouldnt make any difference since nothing could be seen. Sales guy explained the PDI part, I just told him "boss, I am waiting for the last 5 hrs to take delivery of my car, just hand over the key and we will talk about PDI tomorrow."..... ;)

Touch wood... my car had no issues when I bought my car...
  3. NitinGirish

NitinGirish Amatore

Bengaluru
    Read up on the PDI checklist and the sticky threads on the forum in general. This would help you a lot.
  4. Tony

Tony Esperto

Kalamboli, Navi Mumbai
    Kuwait
    Grande Punto 1.2
    Did you turn up on the next day for the PDI Haha.
    Just for my information, why do the showroom guys delivery the brand new cars only after 4 Pm, is there any logic behind it. or just to avoid the tiny miny issues in the car,,
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2011
  5. Actually I did, but not for the PDI part. The showroom guys had scr***d up with my registration. The number I booked and the number allotted to me were different and for 10 days I drove without number. Anyway thats history now.... :)

Since even TATA is being sold under the same roof, makes it a problem. Some days will see more cars being sold on a particular day and my bad luck, that day was that and my car was the last to roll out of that showroom......... :(
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  6. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    While we are discussing quality I tend to agree with amit.

I always felt that My 2003 Ford Ikon was much better screwed together and with better quality materials than Linea. It was a segment lower and a 5.5 lac car. Service bill was never above 5k. In 5.5 years and almost 90000 kms none of the parts were changed except for fuel pump.

For Linea just look at the thread on items changed in warranty. There is a long list I posted and the list is only getting bigger. Elastic pads changed 3 times. Strut mounts changed twice. Clutch replaced twice. Central fascia changed twice. Blue and me box replaced. Viper tank cracked. Headlight greyed and replaced. Coolant hose leaked. Many small items replaced. And finally Clear coat from paint is peeling off. Though I am satisfied with Linea still , Fiat must look into such quality aspects for long term success. Be as it may, but the customer today has many choices.

PS - I have a lot to say on few outrageous remarks on this thread. But I am on BlackBerry and its not much convenient to type long. However I can't miss 1 item - customer is not expected to do PDI - only 5 to 10% customers do it. Its the accountability of dealer and Manufacturer. If any Manufacturer messes it consistently, it does it at its own peril. Market is a great leveler and word of mouth is very strong.
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  7. retropoppers

retropoppers

@Amit:
    I think this (the number of issues people face with FIAT cars) is the single biggest factor why people don't tend to buy FIAT vehicles !!
    They are not doing justice to the engine power house they have inside..
  8. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    @retropoppers - I do not agree with you.. Whom do you think buy FIAT? Not just the average guy who does want to have a car; goes to the showroom; books it; waits for it and drive it once he get delivery. The average buyer commute mostly local and they are happy with whatever has been given to them. Any issues they go the ASS or local mechanic and happy once the service is done. Think about FIAT. The buyers are few. They knew that they will face niggles with the car. They knew that their is not built with top-notch quality. They know about the horrible after sale service. They research a lot before buying and get themselves ready to face the challenges. In fact, they search if the challenge faced by others are present in their car as well. The ratio of people with fair bit of automobile knowledge buy FIAT. This is a big difference. It is like having a doctor in the own family. Even small ailments are treated with care which will otherwise go in a day or two without any treatment. In fact we blow small things to big proportions among ourselves as we discuss a lot which other car owners would have ignored. Finally the disgruntled lot among us or our family members spread the word how we struggle with our loving baby. True to the word - Crafted with passion and to be cared with passion. Let us put all aside and enjoy our beauties.
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2011
  9. VahanPujari

VahanPujari Staff Member Janitor

Mumbai
    @Srini

You are right. But there is one reality. Business can't run only on passion and only on a few buyers.

Unfortunately Fiat is not in very high end top niche segment. Both Linea and Punto are in segments crowded by many. However still their sales numbers are like that of D or even higher segment cars !! Any shrewd businessman running it would be worried about long term feasibility prospects of such a business. The quality issues increases the worries exponentially. From business point of view, with only 1000- odd "knowledgeable" (!!) buyers for both cars put together if we believe that Fiat has a sound business case then we are just dreaming. Fiat has to connect with more and more customers even if they are not "knowledgeable". Else the power of the market and word of mouth is just too strong, who else than Fiat knows it better?
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  10. Srini

Srini Regolare

Chennai
    @VP - I agree to you post and all the others here. However, I have taken one decision. We have cried a lot about FIAT and how to improve but they are not listening. What to do now? Ok. I bought my love, will take care of it nicely, fight with FIAT to get things done. Period.. I am not going to cry about how FIAT has to sail high in India. I can atleast boast that I have a machine which mass does not own!! A poor man's Rolls Royce..
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.